Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to go back to college, dont know where to start

Options
  • 28-07-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I am going to be made redundant from work in the next few weeks. I am pleased with this for some reason as I am hoping to restart my life. Being stuck in a dead end job was not something i had hoped for growing up...

Ok so i am not that old yet 30. I am planning on going back to college in Sept this year but i have not applied yet. The questions I have:

1) As a mature student do i have to go through the CAO process ? (hope not as its closed)
    2) I am worried now i am going to be too late to apply- please advise.
    3) I am currently paying a mortgage and am worried about this too.

Any advise welcome especially those who are in/ have been in a similar position.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

1) If you want to go to a University/IT etc, yes mature students have to go through the CAO so its too late for this year

2) Apply for a one year Access or PLC course. This will help you gain entry to college in Sept 2012.

NUI Maynooth do a great Access course in science or engineering. It gives you guaranteed entry to the degree proper in 2012 if you do well.
    You'll need to get onto them quick though, as the closing date may have passed, but they are flexible. http://access.nuim.ie/mature/contact

3) Because you were made redundant, you probably should qualify for the Back to Education Allowance on an Access course which is about €188 per week.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

Hi TheFridge,

As regards applying through the CAO, I would check the college's web-site/handbook. Some mature entry applicants to 3rd level can apply directly to the college itself or can apply via both routes e.g. B. Ed degree in St Pats was direct to the college or via CAO.

If you're about to be made redundant I'd read up on eligibility for BTEA, also I've heard of the Springboard Initiative which is for people who are out of work at least 6 months. Basically I think a number of 3rd level courses are associated with this initiative and you get your fees paid for as well as retaining your JB/JA benefit.

Hope this helps,
    Tulip11

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What course are you hoping to do?

Advertisement