Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What my bike worth...

• 28-07-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

Lads thinking of selling my carbon bike just wondering on what people value it at?

its a 2008 Ridley Noah (medium) FSA Carbon Handle Bars, Campag Record group set FSA Crank, Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels and less than 1500km on it as I've been plagued with injurys since i got it,

Its this model Noah

ridley_noah.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bikelover

work out how much you paid in total with the upgrades and everything; then we can see !
    and be truthful!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I assume it's 10sp Record? Looks like they were about £2400 new.

Bit tricky to value, somewhat depends on how far the integrated seatpost has been cut down, and used carbon frames are always a bit of a punt due to non-transferrable warranties.

Maybe €1400, but it's obviously worth what someone will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

to be honest i think u could pick up a better bike new for 1400 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

avalanche wrote: »
    to be honest i think u could pick up a better bike new for 1400 now

Not a chance, the Noah is the top end Ridley and a quality frame plus the components and wheelset sound top quality also. Bikes are getting increasingly more expensive and with lower quality groupsets to boot. As Lumen pointed out the integrated seatpost will be a deciding factor as will the overall condition of the bike from actual pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I'll throw up a few pictures later but the bike is perfect and barely ridden and never crashed, the seat post has a tiny bit taken off maybe half an inch still loads of room for adjustment, I also have the adjustment plates for the seat post for variation,

The steering column is uncut as I hadn't cycled it enough to get my correct fitting

yes its the Campag 10 speed group set

and a better bike for 1400 new not a chance you could get a high end carbon frame with campag record group set and Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels

thanks for the input everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

...sorry..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Lumen wrote: »
    it's worth what someone will pay.
    This is it exactly. On paper it may be worth ,lets say, €2200 but in reality its real worth is what someone is actually prepared to pay for it. Sorry!

Thanks for the replys lads I'm going to clean it, adjust the cables and give it a service this weekend ill advertise it for €2100 and see what offers come if any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

peterk19 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys lads I'm going to clean it, adjust the cables and give it a service this weekend ill advertise it for €2100 and see what offers come if any

those ridleys hold their value!! 100 euro a year depreciation, thats not bad. If you cant find someone to buy it for the new price. i might be interested for around the 900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pricing second hand bikes can be a bit hit-and-miss because unlike cars there's no odo. So even if someone claims to have only done 1500km on the bike, it's harder to verify. You also don't know if those 1500km involve any serious crashes or other mishaps.

Like cars though, new bikes have the same problem where they lose value as soon as you wheel it out of the showroom. Even without putting a foot on a pedal, people will expect you to sell a brand new bike for 10% less than the exact same thing in a bike shop.

Mint condition, I'd expect a bike to lose 15-20% of it's value in the first year and 10% per year thereafter.

• Advertisement

those ridleys hold their value!! 100 euro a year depreciation, thats not bad. If you cant find someone to buy it for the new price. i might be interested for around the 900

The new price was not 2400 for mine it was 3300 the one for sale at 2400 if memorys serves me correct had the Campag Chorus groupset and Fulcrum racing 3 wheelset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I got my £2400 value from this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-ridley-bikes-noah-9411/

..which is specced with 4ZA wheels and Campag Record.

@Lumen, thanks for the link the price is in Sterling in that so add a few hundred on for the euro price, but the spec is close enough except for the wheels which I presume are 4ZA Cirrus wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

70% of what you paid for it is always a good rule of thumb for a bike in very good condition (no crashes, paint in good condition and mechanically sound).

Realistically €1800 - €1900 would be a fair price for the bike, it's not really the best time to be trying to sell top end stuff and not expecting to take a bit of a hit.

Still, it's always amazing what a proper clean and service can do for buyer psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

peterk19 wrote: »
    The new price was not 2400 for mine it was 3300 the one for sale at 2400 if memorys serves me correct had the Campag Chorus groupset and Fulcrum racing 3 wheelset

Ah fair enough then you'd probably want to be getting close enough to the 2000 for it then before it would be worth lettin go. hard to get that now tho id imagine.

around 2000 is what id like I know its a tough time to sell bikes but im not really pushed on selling so can wait just i doubt ill be cycling properly anytime soon so its a shame to let it lie there going to waste might also be interested in a deal plus money for a small road frame / bike for the GF to get her off the mountain bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I think asking 2000euro for a 4year old bike regardless of the condition is way way too much. 1300-1400 maybe even lower is a realistic value, at least in my eyes.

Advertisement