Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about voltage for laptop drive in Desktop

Options
  • 28-07-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've a quick question - I've read that 2.5 inch Hard Disks use 5 volts as opposed to the 12 volts 3.5 inch hard disks normally use.

Is that accurate and is it a problem for installing them, or will a standard Molex to sata cable do the job without wrecking the drive?

Cheers for the help (I'm a little paranoid in case I wreck my SSD by accident)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

As long as its not a cheap PSU with bad voltage regulation you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

SATA power cables supply 12V and, 5V on separate wires (also can have a 3.3V wire but not commonly supported/used).

The drive uses whatever it needs, so a 3.5" drive uses 12V for the motor and 5V for the logic board. A 2.5" drive just ignores the 12V pins and uses 5V for everything.

Advertisement