Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

killing grass/weeds/nettles but not a hedge

Options
  • 28-07-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I want to remove grass/weeds/nettles/rush's that are growing around my hedge.
    First of all is there a weedkiller of some description that will do this?
    If not am I left with pulling all out by hand and mulching over the top?

Any suggestions?

It has got out of hand and my hedge is not showing as well as it should be

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Sounds like a job for Roundup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Redwood77

Need to be EXCEPTIONALLY careful with roundup near the hedge. If you want to use roundup to kill nettles you need a very high rate (6-8L/Ha). As roundwood will kill all broadleaved weeds, the hedge could be in for a dose as well!!
    If the weeds are at the base of the hedge, walk them down and spray with a hood(cowel) over the nozzle. This will prevent drift onto the hedge.
    If the weeds are growing through the hedge, only option is to pull them!!!
    If there is a lot of grass you can get a seelective herbicide that will only kill the grass and not harm the hedge. Aramo or Fusilade max will do this - may need to go to a wholesale supplier. It will take 4-6 weeks to kill the grass. If the grass is scutch 2 or even 3 applications may be reqauired to fully kill these long rooted pests.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

if you have a lot of lawn, you could cut the weeds back with a clippers, then mulch with a thick covering of grass cuttings, I did this in April and it keeps the weeds down brilliantly, just the odd spot needs remulching where some break through

Advertisement