Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior pointing repair

• 28-07-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Would anyone have any advice on this.

I have small second floor balcony in an old brown brick apartment complex (30 years built). It's at the top of a hill and and due to it's height gets a battering from the weather. The pointing between the bricks is completely gone in some areas leading to some obvious water entry into the interior walls.

Is filling in between blocks something that can be easily done as a D.I.Y thing? If so, what would normally be used to touch up pointing like this?

If not, who would normally deal with this sort of problem?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

You can refill the gaps with mortar and a special pointing spatula.
    Its an easy enough job but it takes a bit of time so be prepared to get stuck in. Also if its at a height and you have to use a ladder then it may take two people to do it safely.

Edit: Apartment, do you have a management company? Do you pay maintenance fees? If so then its their problem. If not I would consider getting a price for the work as its the second floor. Unless of course you can get to it safely yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Have a look at this link could be a bit gimmicky or could be worth a try.

www.pointmaster.co.uk/

Advertisement