Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best data plan

Options
  • 28-07-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know which mobile provider has the best data plan. Was looking at getting a three payg sim as they were offering unlimited broadband for €5 if you top up by €20. You look at the small print and it says there is a fair use limit of 500MB. For a month! Joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

By far Three bill pay at present. Test the signal with the providers though before you switch to anyone. Many will give free pre pay sims to test with (vodafone charge 10 euro but the sim includes 10 euro credit). You want to see and even experience good 3G signal to make use of the data allowance. Three give sims away in store or online.

Their data allowance is unlimited on plans starting from 30 (sim only) per month but fair usage is 15gb. More than enough :)

On payg all the networks have small allowances with the biggest probably being O2 at 700mbs for 9.99 per month. Maybe someone knows a better offer on payg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

transylman wrote: »
    Does anyone know which mobile provider has the best data plan. Was looking at getting a three payg sim as they were offering unlimited broadband for €5 if you top up by €20. You look at the small print and it says there is a fair use limit of 500MB. For a month! Joke.

Annoying use of the word "unlimited" aside, the 500MB for €5 data add on is fine in my opinion. Also, I'm pretty certain that you don't need to have topped up by €20 to avail of that add on.

O2 have a €9.99 for 700MB add on which ain't as good value as 3's add on.

Meteor up to recently had a free Meteor texts and 250MB free internet for topping up by €20 offer, they have a few new offers now however, I think they give 1GB free data for a €30 top up (along with either free Meteor calls/texts OR free any network texts).

Vodafone have almost the exact same offer as Meteor's above with one difference, instead of a 1GB allowance its restricted to 250MB.

So best value? Probably 3pay. Don't have a clue what the others offer I'm afraid (Tesco, postfone, emobile, Just)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Do you mean Mobile Internet (i.e. using a phone) or Mobile Broadband (using a dongle). 500Mb is a fair bit on a phone, especially using mobile versions of websites etc. If you mean Mobile Broadband, then go to the Midband forum for the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This post has been deleted.

Jaysis didn't realise that. I want the best plan for data. With reasonable text and call costs. Never even considered tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Jaysis didn't realise that. I want the best plan for data. With reasonable text and call costs. Never even considered tesco.

Great value, but it is limited to 1.2mbps on 3G. The coverage is good, and consistent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

ardmacha wrote: »
    Do you mean Mobile Internet (i.e. using a phone) or Mobile Broadband (using a dongle). 500Mb is a fair bit on a phone, especially using mobile versions of websites etc. If you mean Mobile Broadband, then go to the Midband forum for the best advice.

I have a smartphone and use my mobile to connect my laptop to the internet sometimes so if both are possible it would be nice. The 15 gb from 3 might be ok, but is that a firm limit or are your speeds slashed if you go over?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

They say "unlimited" but that if you go over 15gb's they may employ measures to stop you adversely affecting the network for others which presumably means slowing the speed you can get. I haven't heard any one affected as 15gb's is some limit even for tethering.

Test the network before joining (same goes for any network you might switch too).

Advertisement