Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 28-07-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

My download speed with Eircom is 1.7mb/s...according to my package I should have 8mb...I am paying for this every month! I called Eircom to discuss the issue...their reply " well...that's the speed for your area". I asked if they were going to upgrade us and he replied "the upgrade was done." ...so...after an upgrade we only receive 2mb/s if we are lucky. I said that it wasn't fair to be charged for 8mb if I am lucky to receive 2mb. He said to call sales and see if they can put you on a package where I pay for 2mb. I called them and they said that he shouldn't have mentioned that and that they can't do anything. I just can't understand why they are charging me for a service they can't provide and think that it is fair! And the worse thing is that I have no other options for broadband in my area... Could I take this further to someone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

you're limited by the line, you can get broadband through an eircom reseller, they can only provide what your line is capable of. They should have said "your line can only handle 2mb" if that is the case seeing as eircom do line speeds of 2mb. With another dealer such as vodafone, all their line speeds are "up to 8mb" which means you'll get 8mb if your line is capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

There was something on the Right Hook show on Newstalk on Monday (I think) about this issue and something was mentioned about an ombudsman. Sorry that I am so vague but that sounds very like what was being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Niamhf wrote: »
    My download speed with Eircom is 1.7mb/s...according to my package I should have 8mb. He said to call sales and see if they can put you on a package where I pay for 2mb. I called them and they said that he shouldn't have mentioned that and that they can't do anything... Could I take this further to someone else?

If you check the small print, you will see that they state that the speed you will get will be "up to" 8mb.

So, they are providing what is contracted.

You should definitely try to get on a 2mb package though since it seems that that is the best speed your line can support.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

I saw that on the bill, "up to 8mb", but I thought that it should be faster than 1.7... when I told the guy on broadband support he said the worst it could be on some days is 5 or 6 and that 1.7 was very slow. But when he informed me that I would be lucky to get 2mb I thought that surely I could pay less...turns out that there are no cheaper packages!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Oh sorry...there is a package for up to 3mb...but it is around the same as what we are paying now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Unfortunately, that's life. The slower package may not be much cheaper, but you'll feel better that you are getting nearer what you are paying for.

Some lines are just not capable to give the full speed they offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Left eircom a long time ago UPC FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

justryan wrote: »
    Left eircom a long time ago UPC FTW!

There are quite a few people that are not in upc areas.

The op needs to check if his exchange is a ngb exchange. If not, mac speed package is 3mb and price is same as 8mb package (when 8mb came I., they didn't charge any extra )

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tumster

Get on to comreg about eircom they are not allowed to sell you a package that you can not get. They should have tested the line for you, Also tell Eircom you have being on to them and copy comreg on all emails

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tumster wrote: »
    Get on to comreg about eircom they are not allowed to sell you a package that you can not get. They should have tested the line for you, Also tell Eircom you have being on to them and copy comreg on all emails

Right....

Broadband speeds are provided as UPTO

The OP's only choice is to downgrade to a very basic 1MB package after that everything else is provided as upto 8MB and 1.7mb is acceptable for this. Incidentally the 1MB package is the same price as the 8MB capped package on their website.

NGB is unlikely to have any impact on the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Niamhf wrote: »
    My download speed with Eircom is 1.7mb/s...according to my package I should have 8mb...I am paying for this every month! I called Eircom to discuss the issue...their reply " well...that's the speed for your area". I asked if they were going to upgrade us and he replied "the upgrade was done." ...so...after an upgrade we only receive 2mb/s if we are lucky. I said that it wasn't fair to be charged for 8mb if I am lucky to receive 2mb. He said to call sales and see if they can put you on a package where I pay for 2mb. I called them and they said that he shouldn't have mentioned that and that they can't do anything. I just can't understand why they are charging me for a service they can't provide and think that it is fair! And the worse thing is that I have no other options for broadband in my area... Could I take this further to someone else?

Are you doing your download speed tests directly from a wired connection to the modem which is directly connected into your phone line in order to rule out internal wiring or wireless problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

I was similarly disappointed by eircom's next generation broadband roll out. We received a letter from eircom saying that we were being upgraded from our current 1mB with unlimited usage to the new 'up to 8mB' basic pack. The basic pack usage is capped at 10gB a month and so we were advised in the letter to upgrade to a pack with higher usage limits to avoid penalty charges for excess use - quoted at €2 per gB. I duly called eircom to upgrade to the next gen unlimited use pack - costing an extra €6 per month and was told that my speed would remain at 1mB as that is all my line is capable of. So I have no benefit from being automatically upgraded to next gen broadband apart from a price increase. If they'd just told us up front that this was the case it would have been less frustrating. Sadly there are no viable alternate ISPs here so we're pretty much stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I've just grown to accept that eircom are absolutely ****ing ****e but because I'm in the middle of the country as bad as they are there still the best ISP I can get :(

be lucky you can even get 1.7mb - I get download speeds of around 0.5mb on a good day

we're paying for the 8mb package because it works cheaper than the 3mb package and the same price as the 1mb :confused:

how exactly that works I dunno but trust eircom to do it anyways.. just waiting for the day UPC will rollout nationwide... and people please don't come and dash my hopes by saying it's never going to happen :(:(:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I've just grown to accept that eircom are absolutely ****ing ****e but because I'm in the middle of the country as bad as they are there still the best ISP I can get :(

Not entirely correct,
    You can also get Broadband from Vodafone, UTV etc as they are Eircom resellers.

how exactly that works I dunno but trust eircom to do it anyways.. just waiting for the day UPC will rollout nationwide... and people please don't come and dash my hopes by saying it's never going to happen :(:(:(

If your in the countryside you'll be waiting a very very long time as it'll likely never happen as it wouldn't be cost affective for UPC to do nationwide coverage especially with current technology.

Your best bet of getting "slightly" faster speeds at the moment is through the upcoming fibre rollout by eircom but thats only if your in a area included in this.

Other then that your options are so called Mobile Broadband or Satellite but these can vary alot and depending on what you use your connection for they may be unsuitable.

Advertisement