Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about 3D/4D scan

Options
  • 28-07-2011 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi all, i'm having a 3d/4d scan this saturday and do i need to drink lots of water before i have the scan? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

not normally before any pregnancy scans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

For my dating scan at 14 weeks in cumh, I had to drink water prior to it.
    For my 20 week anomally scan( i went private), i didn't.

Your best bet is to ask the centre do you need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

You don't have to but apparently you get a better picture if you have a full bladder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd ring and ask because some places require you have a full bladder for the scan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

cool, thanks a million everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Here's what I was told - There is no need for a full bladder for the scan, but it is a good idea to keep well hydrated in the 2 or 3 days before the scan, as your overall hydration can improve the clarity of the ultrasound.

Having a fizzy drink or bar of chocolate about half an hour before the scan tends to wake baby up and get them moving around more.

Enjoy bonding with babs, 3D4D scans are brill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Same as LEH, we were told I should have a coke and some chocolate about 20 minutes before the scan to get the baby moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

LEH wrote: »
    Here's what I was told - There is no need for a full bladder for the scan, but it is a good idea to keep well hydrated in the 2 or 3 days before the scan, as your overall hydration can improve the clarity of the ultrasound.

Having a fizzy drink or bar of chocolate about half an hour before the scan tends to wake baby up and get them moving around more.

Enjoy bonding with babs, 3D4D scans are brill!

this depends on the scan type- when going for the anomally scan @ 20 weeks- they told me NOT TO drink anything fizzy or eat chocolate for min 1 hour prior to my scan as it can make baby move more so they will not be able to take proper measurements.
    I was told to drink plenty of water for 2-3 days beforehand alright.

I would definetly recommend ringing up and asking the clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

For the anomaly scan you're supposed to avoid it, as you say they want baby to be lying still to take measurements of baby. The 3D4D scan is more for entertainment/bonding so nice to get to have a look at babs at all angles! But agree, check with clinic and go with what they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I had two 3d scans in my pregnancy and about 12 hospital scans so im sure about this....How far long are you? Once you are over 15 weeks there is no need to have a full bladder for your scan as baby is big enough to see clearly. What they may ask you to do during the scan is to drink a cold drink of water or fuzzy drink like lucozade but this is only if they baby isn't in a good position for you to see clearly on screen. Then they get u to take the cold or fuzzy drink as it prompts the baby to move. So no you dont need a full bladder if you are over 15 wks. Enjoy the scan, its amazing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement