Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplicate text messages

Options
  • 28-07-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Any of you guys ever receive duplicate text messages from any of your contacts? So, you get a message and then some time later you get the same message again and the person on the other end hasn't sent it. Sometimes it can be more than just a single duplicate, you can get loads.

So, has it ever happened to you? Or have you ever found your phone to be resending messages to others automatically?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It happens from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Yes. Interestingly I've found that on bill pay plans, where you will receive an itemised phone bill each month and can clearly see what calls and texts you've made and been charged for, you won't be charged for the duplicate texts that have been sent and they won't even appear on your bill.

However, on pay as you go plans this isn't the case and you're often charged for the duplicate texts you didn't even send (you can tell as you merely check your balance and find it's gone down by €1 or something for only one text).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Get this the odd time, tends to be mostly people on O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I believe it's to do with the following. Your network sends the text to another network to send it on to the receiver. The second network needs to tell the first network it had received the message. If it doesn't send something back, the first network will try again later. Sometimes, the second network has forwarded on the text but didn't send the confirmation back to the first network. So the person gets the text again.

I remember when 3 first started up, people were getting up to 30 messages in a row because of this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Mobiles & PDAs as this is not a Consumer Issue.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24 0507

Anyone had this happen to them recently on Vodafone? Did you lodge a complaint? If so, where did it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭kmurph

0507 wrote: »
    Anyone had this happen to them recently on Vodafone? Did you lodge a complaint? If so, where did it go.
    Happens to me all the time on my Vodafone Pay As You Go account. Even on the marketing messages from Vodafone themselves.

@ kmurph

Sorry, I meant does your phone (or anyone else who is on Vodafone) ever send out duplicate text messages.

This seems to be a pretty big problem across the networks. I'm in contact with them at the moment trying to work this out. We want to make sure that people aren't being charged for messages they didn't send. So, we'd appreciate as much feedback as possible on this one.

Thanks guys.

Anyone ever lodged a complaint on this before? What was the response like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement