Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence without....a TV.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

If your TV does not have a build in Tuner or anything that can allow you to get a Signal then you do not need a TV Licence.. i have a TV but do not use it that much. wouldnt mind to sell it. I download all my Programs and watch them on the Laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

It's a long story but I ended up in court because I tried to get rid of the TV for the summer months, I was told that even though I did not have a TV, if I had an aerial I could still receive a signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm no lawyer, and don't know the precise letter of the broadcasting act but AFAIK the licence is for the receiving equipment (TV, tuner card, sat box, VCR/HDD recorder)only and NOT for the aerial, since the aerial could be merely for radio reception, or a legacy from a previous owner or installation, that you neglected to have taken down.
    None of those stupid ads say anything about "If you have a TV aerial you must have a TV licence".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Guillaume wrote: »
    I have to pay my TV Licence. BUT I am thinking about giving away or selling it. Question : If I pay my TV licence now then few days or weeks later get rid of my TV, should I get a refund or something ? :confused::confused:
    You could ask them if they could trade it in for a dog license and get a dog instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

DanWall wrote: »
    It's a long story but I ended up in court because I tried to get rid of the TV for the summer months, I was told that even though I did not have a TV, if I had an aerial I could still receive a signal

I'm sorry but who ever told you that was telling you rubbish. The relevant statute defines a TV set as any device or combination of devices which can receive and display a television broadcast (not one or the other, it must do both). An aerial on it's own can receive, but it cannot possibly display a broadcast so does not require a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

This was local the postmaster that told me, I actually took the aerial down, but still ended in court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Are you sure you didn't end up in court for failing to return the statuatory declaration form or soemthing? I can't see how any judge could convict or fine you for having an aerial, since that's not what the law states...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

rubadub wrote: »
    Then you should get a monitor or TV with no tuner, my plasma has no tuner on it so is exempt. It might actually cost a bit more for one with no tuner due to economies of scale, but in the long run it could work out cheaper. I knew a guy who had a monitor and dvd in a holiday home, rather than pay 160 for 2 weeks use per year.

If you have the techy know-how you might be able to disable the tuner bit in your tv and you should be exempt.

I heard some rumour about taking the plug off the TV so it is technically "unfit to receive a signal".

Just found this post, hes a mod in the TV section too.

I posted before...

I though you had to pay even if the TV was broken so :o it's technically unfit to receive a signal wouldn't cut it... becuase you could fix it again and then it'd receive a signal...

f your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.

from citizens information there...

so - yeah you'd still have to pay even if you took the tuner out because that'd technically be a broken tv... :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wertz wrote: »
    I'm no lawyer, and don't know the precise letter of the broadcasting act but AFAIK the licence is for the receiving equipment (TV, tuner card, sat box, VCR/HDD recorder)only and NOT for the aerial, since the aerial could be merely for radio reception, or a legacy from a previous owner or installation, that you neglected to have taken down.
    None of those stupid ads say anything about "If you have a TV aerial you must have a TV licence".

Wrong, the law states that if you have ANY device capable of receiving a signal you must have a TV license.
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'm sorry but who ever told you that was telling you rubbish. The relevant statute defines a TV set as any device or combination of devices which can receive and display a television broadcast (not one or the other, it must do both). An aerial on it's own can receive, but it cannot possibly display a broadcast so does not require a licence.

Doesn't matter, the law states receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I ****ing hate RTE, propaganda wing of the government, cosy cartel with many useless arseholes constantly being given tv shows. They can **** off. Make it a subscription service and see how they get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - I think the OPs original question has been addressed here. This is not a forum for discussing the rights or wrongs of TV licensing.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement