Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza Dough Question

Options
  • 28-07-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think if i walked into Dominos Pizza and asked for just the pizza dough would they look at me like i have two heads?
    Reason i ask i want to make more homemade pizzas, i think the frozen ones are horrible TBH.
    Sorry for a strange question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's worth a try, but I'd imagine they'd charge you quite a bit, so it'd be much more worth your while just making it, it's dead easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

STIG83 wrote: »
    Does anyone think if i walked into Dominos Pizza and asked for just the pizza dough would they look at me like i have two heads?

Probably.
    Reason i ask i want to make more homemade pizzas, i think the frozen ones are horrible TBH.

Er, would you not just make your own dough, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I was thinking about it lately, was visiting family in the states, they have a wood fire oven in their back yard, we were making pizzas in it, beautiful they were!! She bought the dough at a local pizza place, wasn't Dominos.
    I cant face frozen pizzas anymore after having them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Dough isn't that difficult to make though it can take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I put up a blog post a few days ago on making your own pizza. The dough is really easy to make - it's worth trying.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    I put up a blog post a few days ago on making your own pizza. The dough is really easy to make - it's worth trying.

Cheers dudara, I'll try it out :)

This is the dough recipe I use - I've tried a few different ones over the years, and this is the foolproof one, really couldn't recommend it enough: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brick-oven-pizza-brooklyn-style/detail.aspx

Again, after much arsing around with sauces over the years, I haven't come up with anything better than this one. And the good news is that it's raw, so A) doesn't require any cooking and B) doesn't lose any nutrients.

Pizza Sauce - enough for 2x 14" pizzas

1x tin of tomatoes
    2x cloves garlic
    1 fresh red chilli, seeds and membrane left in
    Pinch of sugar
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon dried oregano

Bung the whole lot into a blender, whizz, and leave in the fridge for the flavours to develop, preferably overnight.

My husband's garden project for next year is to build me a wood-burning oven. I'll just have to stick with my pizza stone in the meantime. If you really, really love pizza, then I would highly recommend getting one.

Pizza done on the barbeque is also absolutely gorgeous, once you've perfected your dough. Simply roll out your base, chuck it on the barbie til the dough starts to bubble, take it to the table, top the cooked side (sparingly, cause you've no upper heat source), then return it to the barbie to cook the underside and melt your cheese. Nom!

I'll put up a pic of my Sisters pizza oven in the States when I get near my laptop.

Picture as promised.

So jealous...

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    So jealous...

Never say never, we have cooked beer can chickens in it too, chicken is so tasty from it!!

As I said, it's OH's garden project for next year. He's very handy and loves a good challenge, so I'm optimistic that this time next year, I'll be waxing lyrical about the joys of wood-ovening!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    As I said, it's OH's garden project for next year. He's very handy and loves a good challenge, so I'm optimistic that this time next year, I'll be waxing lyrical about the joys of wood-ovening!

Best of luck with it!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭IR

Defo making pizza dough is easy...but if you don't have the time, there is a company called Artisan Pizza who sell 3 pizza bases in a pack and they're great too - speciality food stores sell them - company based in Rathmines...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i think the frozen ones are horrible TBH.
    Have you tried the chicago town takeaway ones? I prefer them over dominos. Most people overcook pizza at home, most times given on packs are far too long.

Pizza places will have the proper ovens, much hotter than domestic ones so not sure it would turn out the same even if you got the dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

IR wrote: »
    Defo making pizza dough is easy...but if you don't have the time
    I've never tried it myself, but I imagine you can freeze your own pizza dough can you? Might be an idea to make a big load of them and store them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I'm addicted to the Domino's Sizzler with double base sauce. I have been for years. While frozen pizza has come a long way over the years (remember the stuff in early 90s? yuck) its still mostly let down by the base. It cooks way too hard, not doughy at all and can even cut the roof of your mouth! I don't always have the spons for Domino's so here is something I do to improve the taste of the frozen stuff.

1. Set on counter to defrost for 15 mins.
    2. Take pizza to sink and soak base/crust by hand with water till it starts feeling gluey.
    3. Remove toppings and add more base sauce. My favs are Plain BBQ, Reggae Reggae or Tomato Puree + Heinz Spicy Ketchup. Be generous.
    4. Add back toppings with small bit of mozzerela if you like.
    5. Now wet hand and sprinkle some water on top with flick of hand.
    6. Pizza should be floppy like fresh dough was used now.
    7. Cook 20 mins on low (170) and then 5 mins high (240). Don't let pizza turn crispy or too brown take out before hand.
    8. Let it cool a tad and eat that fu*ker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Definitely make your own dough. As others have said, its simple to make. When your putting it in dark place for a while make sure not to wrap cling film to tight. Went upto hotpress once to find the dough after bursting through the cling film. To be honest it was my own fault, I done it for the luagh but didn't mean to mess the place up so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    its still mostly let down by the base. It cooks way too hard, not doughy at all and can even cut the roof of your mouth!.
    As I was saying earlier most have far too long a cooktime quoted so get destroyed. The chicago town takeaway pizzas are cooked without preheating the oven, this helps the base. Goodfellas takeaway are not great

I have soaked bases before like you recommend, I just soaked paper kitchen towels and dab them along the bottom, once they get a little wet they soak up water better. I usually leave pizzas to defrost in the fridge first.

Tesco do a packet pizza dough, just add water, I think it works out cheaper than buying yeast & flour as yeast can be pricey for what it is. It is in the flour section in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

seanybiker wrote: »
    Definitely make your own dough. As others have said, its simple to make. When your putting it in dark place for a while make sure not to wrap cling film to tight. Went upto hotpress once to find the dough after bursting through the cling film. To be honest it was my own fault, I done it for the luagh but didn't mean to mess the place up so much.

Problem is pizza cooks best, fast at higher temps than our overn can manage.
    As I was saying earlier most have far too long a cooktime quoted so get destroyed. The chicago town takeaway pizzas are cooked without preheating the oven, this helps the base. Goodfellas takeaway are not great

I have soaked bases before like you recommend, I just soaked paper kitchen towels and dab them along the bottom, once they get a little wet they soak up water better. I usually leave pizzas to defrost in the fridge first.

Tesco do a packet pizza dough, just add water, I think it works out cheaper than buying yeast & flour as yeast can be pricey for what it is. It is in the flour section in tesco.

Thx for tip.s Gonna try homemade again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭IR

Gordon wrote: »
    I've never tried it myself, but I imagine you can freeze your own pizza dough can you? Might be an idea to make a big load of them and store them.

Yep, you can make up a good bit of dough, then leave it to proove, knock them back, and then portion them and freeze them all as individual doughballs, just defrost and go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

try making your own dough, you'll never look back once you get the hang of it.
    I find it interesting to play around with the ingredient ratios to make different types of bases....you can find some good info on www.pizzamaking.com

two tips to get you on your way
    - ask for some fresh yeast at the bakery counter in superquinn, it's cheap and will make a world of difference over the dried stuff
    - tesco sells granite worktop savers for €15, heat it up gradually in your oven on top shelf, then turn on grill element for a while, this will get you probably as close as you can get to a commercial oven at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Ive been using Jamie's Cheats pizza recipe from his 30 minute meals.. Its so easy.. I have it down to like 15 minutes now.. Quicker than cooking a frozen!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1316918/Jamie-Olivers-30-minute-meals-Cheats-pizza-delish-salads-squashed-cherries-vanilla-mascarpone-cream.html

Advertisement