Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Broadband-Ballon area

Options
  • 28-07-2011 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

have moved to Ballon and have had the joy of using my parents broadband (Reach Broadband) again. To say its bad is an understatement, rarely works, and when it does, barely moves. Took me a few attempts to just get onto the 'new thread' page.

What options do I have? Are Aptus Broadband any good? I don't have a landline so can't use Eircom. I'm downgrading from UPC so theyre all gonna be bad by comparison, aren't they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Ottostreet

I have the Aptus 3mb connection and would have to recommend it as a rural broadband provider. Their contention ratio is 24:1 and while it is not a good as UPC speeds I usually get damn close to the 3mb when doing a speedtest.

In terms of other suppliers I am afraid you really are limited to Eircom, Reach and the mobile operators dongles.

If you have a good solid 3g connection on your mobile it might be worthwhile checking the mobile dongles out.

Regards
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm living just over the road from Ballon now and i'm using Three's wireless bb. Have to say its great over here. I get between 1.5 - 3mb speeds. €30 per month for 60gig download limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

Depending on your distance from the exchange, Eircom while expensive, is pretty rock solid connection and speed-wise. I found Three to be unusable and others similarly complain about other mobile broadband providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 carlowbhoy

pm me your landline number and i can tell you your broadband speed available to you on the landline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

carlowbhoy wrote: »
    pm me your landline number and i can tell you your broadband speed available to you on the landline.

He hasn't got a landline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Have to retract a statement I made about Reach Broadband. We had a power outage here a few days ago after which, my wireless router wouldnt work. I replaced the router and voila....the broadband is flying along.

OK, its nowhere near what I've gotten used to over the last few years, but its what is advertised. Connection seems more stable, and speeds are acceptable.

Looks like I'll be considering them after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

If your still looking for broadband in that area please pm ill give ya the details

Advertisement