Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreadlocks

• 28-07-2011 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I want to get dreads put into my hair. Is there anywhere in Limerick that people know of that are good? Anyone have dreads themselves? What's the maintenance like?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Ah you dont ! Really ? Why ?

I would imagine there is very little maintaining involved anyway. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I've a mate with dreads, I used to rip the piss out of him at the start but now I don't even notice them. In fairness he comes from a family with seriously bushy/wirey/afro hair and dreads suit a lot of people with this type of hair, you might be able to do it yourself, look up 'dreadlock tutorial' videos on youtube. AFAIK, you'll need Beeswax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I have no idea why the subject of Dreadlocks has anything got to do with
    Limerick City...........................................but....

Not a dreads fan myself. They look cool on Predator just not on pasty pale Irish lads.

My minds stereotypical image for me when it comes to the Irish and Dreads is
    a Crusty Hippie waster that's into piercings, Ear Plugs, Firebreathing and juggling and getting stoned off their face while claiming the dole and with a mind set of **** the system.

When I think of people with dreads I always wonder about hygiene and maintenance. How do you wash them apart from soaking?

Is stuff just masked ?
    http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/natural_mistic_lock_deodorizer_fragrance_spray/

I keep getting reminded of cutting matts from my long haired cats hair and
    seeing just how solid clumps of hair can get and how much horrible stuff is lurking within the hair.

Had a lass in the place I work that had started out with dreads that grew long and eventually they nearly reached her waist and everything was matted and clumped together and was the start to something like this:
    hZrx1rdPNpkc42z7cyMh3A5Qo1_400.jpg

(Of course an all male with no female non Irish, Turkish Only, magical barber may be able to fix ya up
    should you go down the dreaded road! we have such experts in Da City)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nah, dreads aren't scummy, they are if you want them to be.

Just look up some pics of John Butler from the John Butler Trio from a few years back when he had dreads. He looked really good, and still looked "clean cut".

Just put John Butler into Google images. He looks cool and smart. Go for it, and f*ck whatever anyone else says. Don't dress like a crusty you see juggling and sitting in doorways with dogs though.......

I had long hair years back and was going to get them, then realised how hard it would be to maintain them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Are you heading away on a holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Roadend wrote: »
    Are you heading away on a holiday?

I don't like dreadlocks-ah, oh no. I love 'em!

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say I love them but as long as you're thinking more John Butler and less Mick Hucknall you should be fine.

Try asking in some of the African shops, they may be able to advise you on how to get started, how to care for them etc...

as long as you're thinking more John Butler and less Mick Hucknall you should be fine.

best piece of advice on this topic so far!!!:D

John Butler is one cool looking mofo, and he's about 36!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

bullets wrote: »
    Not a dreads fan myself. They look cool on Predator just not on pasty pale Irish lads.

a Crusty Hippie waster that's into piercings, Ear Plugs, Firebreathing and juggling and getting stoned off their face while claiming the dole and with a mind set of **** the system.

+1

Dont do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

+1

Dont do it.

I agree if the OP is anything like Ras Trent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fatigued Face

The feedback was much appreciated really. I love how I've been assumed male. Not the case however. Will prob look into the african shops alright, seems like a fair place to begin.
    To the scummy, scruffy, unwashed , dole waster comments, how sterotypical can you be. I wouldn't like to be rastafarian around you or even slightly alternative for that matter... Broaden your mind dude you may be surprised to find not all people live "down" to your twisted expectations!

• Advertisement

Check out the lass in the Crazytown video. She is dreads and is SUPER HOT! She is in at the 2 min mark...

To the scummy, scruffy, unwashed , dole waster comments, how sterotypical can you be. I wouldn't like to be rastafarian around you or even slightly alternative for that matter... Broaden your mind dude you may be surprised to find not all people live "down" to your twisted expectations!

When I mentioned my minds stereotypical image! it was not meant to offend or be a form of Prejudice. I'm a firm believer that when I visually look at someone I will unwillingly form a stereotypical image of them based on their looks and initial behavior , I then need to use logic/common sense/manners and more observation to determine what I actually think of someone as a person.

Can you be open minded and narrow minded at the same time ? :D
    I come from an alternative scene often stereotyped being a Goth
    and I admit I stereotype myself. Stereotypes are present in life
    for a reason, quite possibly because more often than not they could be true......but just not always.

If you saw me with Blue Hair, pale skin, possibly wearing lipstick and eyeliner being a bloke, with Knee high leather boots, and ankle length
    jacket in a club full of androgynous looking people I would most likely
    be stereotyped by most people not in the scene as a goth/weirdo/freak/mansonite/spookiekid/doomcookie and various other labels.
    my sexuality and certain assumptions based on looks alone would most likely be questioned if I looked soft and not a ard man and was dressed up for club wear.

When someone uses the term knacker/chav/scumbag the stereotypical image will be Tracksuit wearing, white tackies, certain hair styles, hoop earings and pajama wearing females with orange makeup and lots of cheap gold,
    causing trouble all the time and being loud.

When someone uses the term Biker/metaler, I think of a long haired,
    leather wearing, headbanging type sporting facial hair and generally a bit mad.

When someone uses the term Crusty, I think of shaved head, or even mullet, or dreads with an green army jacket and a dog begging
    for a smoke or some spare change.

When I see the term Mormon I think of a Black Pants white shirt and black name badge knocking on peoples doors trying to Bring Jesus into your live.

When I think Rastafarian I think someone with Dreads that smokes Hash
    as part of a religion?

When I think of Nerd I see an awquard computer game obsessed, dice rolling geek with no social skills, poor fashion sense.

on the flip side.
    When you think of a homeless person, you mind does not conjurer up an image of someone dressed in a suit.

When you think of a magician do you think of someone in a Tuxedo doing tricks with a top hat and white doves ?

What image does your mind conjurer up when you think Boy Racer!

I think yer mind will form images and thoughts based on stereotypes to
    form an initial impression on people BECAUSE of lack of other information based on the persons personality. Your mind works by putting information into a category to store and retain information.

(I'm probably talking pure ****e on a Friday night after tapping into
    some of my 60l of homebrew but to make a long story short I'f I caused any offense to anyone reading I'm sorry)

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

bullets wrote: »

When I think of people with dreads I always wonder about hygiene.

~B

I was in a hospital in Germany this week and one of the doctors had dreads so they can't be that unhygienic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I had dreads for about four years. They are not so hard to maintain. The only thing is when it rains and after a shower they are very heavy on your head. Too heavy, and unless you keep good posture you will start getting neck and upper back problems. The day I cut them off I felt free and ten tons lighter. When it rains they can start to smell too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bullets wrote:

When you think of a magician do you think of someone in a Tuxedo doing tricks with a top hat and white doves ?

~B
    Well, fück

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blood420

Bullets wrote:

I think dreads can look great on anybody, regardless of skin colour.

I want to get dreads put into my hair. Is there anywhere in Limerick that people know of that are good? Anyone have dreads themselves? What's the maintenance like?:)

Hi there, I've had dreads for just over a year now, theres a few different ways you can get them. You can do them yourself or with a friend, you don't have to go to a salon to pay somebody to do it for you. You don't have to use wax if you don't want to, it has it's advantages and disadvantages. I'll share briefly what I've learned about dreads and dreading methods over the last year.

***First of all bear in mind that contrary to the vast majority of people's opinions, the cleaner the hair is the quicker it will dread. ***

I'll explain a few different methods:

-Natural. ALL hair will dread eventually if you stop brushing it. This method requires you do.... nothing, except keep your hair clean. After a few weeks you will notice your hair begining to section itself as strands of hair start to clump together. The bigger the sections, the thicker the dreads. If you want thin dreads, seprate the sections into smaller sections, if you want thick dreads, let multiple sections merge together.
    How thick/thin you want them to be are your choice, I prefer thicker ones. I have a mix of mostly thick dreads and some thin ones.

Advantages: Everybody is different, so is their hair. Your dreads will look totally unique, an uniqueness that cannot be emulated by a hairdresser.

Disadvantages: This method takes the longest amount of time. It will take at least one year before until they start looking like dreads. Do not try this option if you do not have the balls (or female equivelant) to walk around in public with a messy head of hair.

-Twist And Rip. This is the method I chose. You grab a section of hair (remember the thicker the section, the thicker the dread), hold the strands by the bottom and twist one, then pull the strands apart, forcing knots up towards the roots. Keep repeating this process, twist once and then pull the strands away from each other (rip). Each time you "rip" grab a different the strands in a different place, this will create more "knots". This should take at least 1-2 hours to do, and is easier if you have a friend help do the back of your head.
    This method will give you instant looking dreads, but they start to unravel after a few days. This is supposed to happen, they will unravel and tighten again. This method is like a way of "boosting" the natual method.

Advantages: Takes less time than the natural method
    Disadvantaves: It's harder to do thicker dreads this way. I let a few of my dreads merge together (congo) to create thicker ones.

-Backcombing: This is like an alternative to the twist and rip method. Grab a section of hair and a strong metal comb. Starting at the roots, aggressively comb the hair BACKWARDS and work your way down to the tips. Again, like twist and rip, when using this method the hair will unravel, and then tighten naturally on their own.

Advantages: Quick and easy.
    Disadvantages: If you have short hair, this method will make the dreads stick out like sideshow bob for a while until they settle down. I happen to think it looks pretty cool, but I guess it's not for everybody! This method is damaging to your hair, but it will recover.

Wax: You can get some dread wax from places like DreadHeadHQ or Knottyboy. Wax is usually the most advertised way of getting dreads, but only because it's the only way that places can make money off of people who want to dread their hair.
    Wax is great if you want that instant Dread look. It only takes a few hours to create mature looking dreadlocks, and they will not fall apart like the twist and rip/backcomb method. However, in this method the hair doesn't actually "dread", it's just held together by wax. This is something that the wax companies don't tell you. Dreads are formed by hair knotting and "locking" itself. In order for hair to "lock", it needs to be able to move. Hair cannot move and lock itself if it is smothered in wax.

This method using the backcombing technique. Backcomb a section of hair as described in the paragraph above, take the recommend amout of wax as described by the manufacturer and rub your hands together to warm it up. Then you grab the section of hair between your palms, and roll your hands up and down from the root of the hair to the tips.

Advantages: Almost instant, tidy looking dreads.
    Disadvantages: Wax is sticky and bad for your hair. Be prepared to change your pillowsheets several times during the first week. Stickiness also attracts dirt. There have been some horror stories regarding the use of wax; some sources claim that wax traps moisture inside the hair, and that moisture can turn to mould.

Another big disadvantage (debatable) when using wax is that you don't get to see your hair progressing though it's "Dread Journey", as you would if using wax free methods. Watching the entire process from normal/straight hair, evolving in and out of chaos in to fully formed dreads is incredible. Every week it's different, there are more changes, different knots, bumps, zig-zags.

As for washing your hair, it is recommend to stay away from commercial shampoos, as they leave residues behind. Remember hair needs to be clean and free to move. You can certainly continue to use shampoo if you wish, but its de-tangling properties will slow the dreading process. I wash my hair with Dr Bronners organic soap bar every 3 days.

Now let me tell you a bit about maintenance. Dreads are relatively easy to maintain. You will get loose hair. Loose hair happens when new growth forms, if you leave the loose hairs alone they will attach themselves into existing dreads and dread into them.

If you are the type of person who obsesses over your hair and have to have it looking absolutely perfect all the time then fear not, you can buy a crochet needle and crothet the loose hairs into place. Just be warned, that you can overdo it by making them too tight. Dreads are not suppsed to be ultra tight at the roots, otherwise it will hurt your head.

I have come across another method called "interlocking". This involves pushing an entire dread through the root of another dread. Don't do this. This will cause the roots to weaken. If the roots because to weak, they could possibly break. Not cool.

I hope you took the time to read that, it took me a fair while to type haha! Personally, I think dreads can look great on anybody, and have not seen dreads look "bad" on anybody. Apart from that picture on the first page, that is known as a "beaver tail" and occurs when the person is a completely lazy bastard and fails to take proper care of their hair.

Oh, and let me finish by saying that your "average" hairdresser doesn't know jack **** about dreadlocks. Most only know how to take your money and turn your hair into what they think you want. You can get exactly what you want by doing it yourself.

Here is an interesting link I found earlier which has hundreds of photos of females with dreads. http://www.flickriver.com/groups/581175@N24/pool/interesting/ Just goes to show you how beautiful dreads can look.

I'm a regular poster at a small online community called http://dreadlife.com/ Theres lots of friendly people on there who are willing to answer any dread related questions you might have. Feel free to join us :)

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

The feedback was much appreciated really. I love how I've been assumed male. Not the case however. Will prob look into the african shops alright, seems like a fair place to begin.

Hey, I've had dreads for 12 years so here's just some advise I can give.

1: dont use wax. Its un necessary, nasty and almost impossible to get out fully.

2: afro-carribean shops do not neccesarily know how do do dreads on european hair. I have seen some bad things come out of them. Its not to say that they cant but dont assume that they can just because they are afro carribean.

3: Upkeep depends on your hair type and how thick you make em. I wash them once a week but it takes longer because mine are thick and long

4: Dont put up with any of the 'white people shouldnt have dreads' crap. gently point out that 16th century Irish gallowglass had matted haircuts. I wrote a blog on it a while ago.

5: I've never had any impediment to employment because of them. I 've a pretty good office job. I have also met a dutch judge with dreads.

6: unfortuntely i dont know anyone in Limerick doing them but I could hook you up if you visit dublin, just PM me. best of luck anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

5: I've never had any impediment to employment because of them. I 've a pretty good office job. I have also met a dutch judge with dreads.
    ???
    judgedredd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 K...C

Hey,
    Not to jump in late, if you've already started dreading congrats.
    If you haven't my advice would be to stay away from waxes and rubs, they just store dirt in your hair. I've had dreads a few years and through trial and error have found using a tiny crochet hook to maintain them best. Be careful in the wrong hands can weaken the dreads till they break. It gets all the new hairs at the roots into the dreads and keeps them looking neat? check the pics on blog? Its a pretty slow process, but your dreads can be formed as thick or thin as you like. Not to jump in and plug but check out:

locksworks.blogspot.com

Hope it goes well...
    Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

They smell.

- Not sure how this could be avoided?

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    They smell.

wash them.:rolleyes:

wash them.:rolleyes:

Just how'd you pick up that username Kenny? ;)

Shampoo them for 19 hours daily with a dose of Parazone Pinefresh if ya like, they're ultimately still going to smell in the same way as any stranded masses of clumped organic matter, matted together and laden with sweat, mould, mouse droppings, dead skin cells, bluebottles, insect larvae, bit of Supermacs double cheese burger etc festering away on someones scalp would.

- People just hide the smell issue from them out of kindness, saying things like "Oh I think I stepped on some doggy poo, poo when I got out of my vehicle"

Hamsters smell too, mousetraps work quite well, or putting them in that irritating excercise ball at the top of 20 flights of concrete steps.

Just how'd you pick up that username Kenny? ;)

Shampoo them for 19 hours daily with a dose of Parazone Pinefresh if ya like, they're ultimately still going to smell in the same way as any stranded masses of clumped organic matter, matted together and laden with sweat, mould, mouse droppings, dead skin cells, bluebottles, insect larvae, bit of Supermacs double cheese burger etc festering away on someones scalp would.

- People just hide the smell issue from them out of kindness, saying things like "Oh I think I stepped on some doggy poo, poo when I got out of my vehicle"

Hamsters smell too, mousetraps work quite well, or putting them in that irritating excercise ball at the top of 20 flights of concrete steps.

unless of course you wash them. or by 'clumped organic matter' youre talking about your family?

They smell.

Frebreeze
    I mean .... this stuff :D
    http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/natural_mistic_lock_deodorizer_fragrance_spray/
    Knotty Boy Natural MISTic Lock Deodorizer & Fragrance Spray -

Not-so-fresh to cleaner sweeter-smelling locks — instantly!

Finally - a way to clean your locks without stepping anywhere near the shower! This powerful Hair Deodorizer and Shampoo-less Cleanser utilizes Silver Citrate to refresh ALL hair types by eliminating odour-causing bacteria immediately upon contact. Like a fabric freshener for your hair!

MIST-satsuma8oz-400.jpg

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Metalhead Fred

However, if you happen to be a relatively normal person who doesn't spend their days rolling around in the bins outside Supermacs, organic soap like Dr Bronners works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Coming from someone who had dreads years ago...

The most ironic thing about people with dreads is that they are probably more vain(not meaning that in a bad way), more conscious about their hair,and probably put in more effort to their hair than anyone else around them. Its kinda funny given the final image generally portrayed.

Mine were about a year and half in the making, sure they looked ok at the start, but they didnt look like decent proper natural cool looking tight dreads until the last few months, by then I was completely bored of them and was delighted to cut them, plus Ive a theory that they were a potential early route to baldness. After I cut them my hair began to thicken alot, and hasnt been as bad since, could be my imagination though.

I dont miss much about them , washing my hair was a pain and it took AGES to dry, talking about them to people got boring and having to tell people I wash my hair got really really boring, the image portrayed started getting annoying after a while as well, at the time I wasnt nearly as "alternative" as they made me look ,that said if you want dreads you obviously want to look a certain way lol. I dont agree that they wouldnt affect interviews etc, people are very judgmental, so you have to play to that if you want to get the right job. Depends what job your going for I suppose.

Now, all that negativity said, if I hadnt gotten them, Id probably still consider getting them now, so at least I got it out of my system.
    Plus they were really comfy to rest your head off!! And also, there are alot of interesting people that approach you that you'd never meet otherwise.
    If you can pull it off, get them looking really really neat, keep them trimmed ( as in loose hair kept away), clean and less like matted hair then you'll enjoy them. Best of luck. Salt water supposed to be great btw. I wouldnt go wasting too much money on dread-specific products.

If I could go back and change one thing, Id get fake dreads and let real ones grow into them or something (if thats even possible). The process can be long.
    About a year after cutting them I started shaving my head, now Ive settled with a standard boring trim, a nice maintenance free haircut for the past few years, gotta say it beats them all!!!:D

Have you seen the OP recently?

- Bald as a cue ball now so he is...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jack and his wife

I have Bleach blond dreads, I am 30 have a full time job, wash my dreads weekly and have a stunning wife, I also own a monster truck which drinks the juice, I also keep horses and ride. So to all the ppl on here who think they know and understand ppl with dreads I pity them as they are so narrow minded it makes me laugh, I love having dreads because ppl dont no how to approach you and talk to you....... its just hair you idiots it wont bite haha, I recon my hair is cleaner than most. So if you want dreads go for it and dont listen to ppl who no f all about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Zombie dreadlocks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement