Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats with these "Charidee" pimpers

• 28-07-2011 7:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭

You know the advts:

Justin Kilcullen from Trocaire

Fergus Finlay from Bernardos

John O'Shea of Goal !

And a few otheres I cant recall at the minute.

Anybody else get a bit of a smell from all this ? Surely its the charity thats the important bit not the name of the Dude that's running it ?

Especially when we know very little about the remuneration financial controls and expenses structures of these organisations .

Reference recent apology from Red Cross re donations unused and the extraordinary salary of the Rehab CEO,

Me...I have cancelled all donations to these organisations until some questions are answered.

Somethins just not right.........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, I didn't know any of those names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Big stir over the African aid programme. Warlords accounting for 60% of all charitable donations apparently. Whadayoudo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Me...I have cancelled all donations to these organisations until some questions are answered.

I don't know how transparent their accounts are but they should be availiable for all to see on the web with the click of a mousse. <grammar nazi gona bite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Doubtful, took some newspaper to break the rehab boss' 400k salary scandal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

biko wrote: »

Just in from planet Uranus ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Surely its the charity thats the important bit not the name of the Dude that's running it ?

Hmmm...
    I see a flaw in your argument.

Just in from planet Uranus ?
    Peeved I don't follow the same news as you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

biko wrote: »

:eek:

Where have you been living man?

Canvas tent in the Atacama?

Jeez:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Just saw in the paper a few weeks back, one charity has a house in clyde road in Dublin 4 valued at €3.9 million ( dropped a million as they can't shift it) why does a charity have property like this:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

cassid wrote: »
    why does a charity have property like this:confused:

left it to them in a will ?
    John O'Shea of Goal !

Isint he the guy who set it up.

IIRC his work there is all voluntary ????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

In fairness, it's part of their job to promote the charity.

That's why you've heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

my eldest sister worked for a charity selling "lines"-remember them? She used to earn more at that as a seventeen year old than my dad earned from his full time job. That cured me of my desire to give to organised charities. I now just give a few quid to homeless people who ask me for it-at least i know where thats going, and no, i don't care what they spend it on. Whatever gets them through the day. To me, a charity is an organisation that raises money, and spends the legally required minimum on good causes, the rest goes to the members of the organisation.imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    left it to them in a will ?

Isint he the guy who set it up.

IIRC his work there is all voluntary ????
    Yep sure it is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I blame (succesive) governments for the fact that charity regulation is virtually non existent in Ireland :mad:
    Yep sure it is :rolleyes:
    If you have evidence to the contrary lets see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

anybody can set up a charity and take 25% for themselves, my daughter was on a small island off Zanzibar recently(penba) and a group of Irish people who had raised 3k each to fund a trip to help African people were there-they were disgusted that their funds raised were being used for them to have the gear to paint a church! In a 96% muslim country. Don't waste your money on organised charities, they just use it for sh1te-there wasn't even needles in the local hospital and the hard earned funds were being wasted on paint. If you want to do good, do it yourself, a lot of irish volunteers are just causing hardship for the locals as they are displacing them from their previously paying jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I blame (succesive) governments for the fact that charity regulation is virtually non existent in Ireland :mad:

If you have evidence to the contrary lets see it.
    Wheres your evidence that shows he does'nt get paid?

Don't really want to personalise this down to one "charidee".....but there is surely the need for more transparency.

What are executives paid...how much of what is collected goes on expenses..how much commission is paid etc.

Seems to me that these quango type organisations treat themselves very well...wasn't that Sports Council wallah reported as doing a fair bit of business class travel ?

I also think that the goon in charge of the FAI..Delaney has a ridiculous salary...in excess of 400k as reported.

That is behind the the little spat from the Airtricity League players re participation in Dublin Super cup and the poor attendances at recent international matches.:confused:

Lot o blazers in Rugby and Soccer who are in receipt of taxpayer funding...publish your accounts lads...why the secrecy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

"Many big salaries have been cut -- Goal's top pay packet used to be near €125,000, but Goal says no one there is paid more than €100,000 now, and CEO John O'Shea's salary is €98,3202"

Not exactly voluntary:eek:

source-http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/how-much-does-giving-really-cost-2161786.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if they really cared about the "needy", they'd all join together and cut their costs so that more of each € goes to those who need it.
    but the reality it's just a case of using people's heartstrings to line their own pockets, which is why I'll never donate to any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Don't really want to personalise this down to one "charidee".....but there is surely the need for more transparency.
    Using the same jocular misspelling twice in the space of twenty posts is awful form. Please stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Using the same jocular misspelling twice in the space of twenty posts is awful form. Please stop.

Indeed it is,however let's not get away from the situation where the charity circuit is lining the pockets of a lot of high rollers in this country.

A nice little industry, I would say given the amount of schoolkids packing bags in Supermarkets around Easter hol time for a trip to Africa.

No saying anything is wrong with that but a strong light needs to be shone on these organisations and their cost base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wouldn't give Goal a cent after the comments about the USA during the new Orleans disaster.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/us-economic-bigwig-warns-were-sick-of-your-americabashing-472739.html

Won't be giving Unicef any more after the debacle in the last few days.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/former-head-of-unicef-slams-sacking-of-melanie-2834775.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Tom Arnold, Concern

I saw Kilcullen and Arnold on TV, both in Somalia. Just send the money out, and save the airfares.

Anyway last night I bought a bike - worldbicyclerelief.org. I'm not pushing this charity. I lived in Zambia for a couple of years so am buying a bike made locally designed for local conditions.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Wouldn't give Goal a cent after the comments about the USA during the new Orleans disaster.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/us-economic-bigwig-warns-were-sick-of-your-americabashing-472739.html

Won't be giving Unicef any more after the debacle in the last few days.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/former-head-of-unicef-slams-sacking-of-melanie-2834775.html

Whats the jizz behind the spate of resignations from the Goal Board ?

About 4 chappies have packed it in ...in a relatively short space of time....sommat to do with the aid worker who was kidnapped in Africa I think.

CEO reported to have a wedge of in excess of €100k and have two daughters working for the organisation.

Funded by the State to the tune of 20 million...:confused:

Where is that bad smell coming from......................:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Please send what you can to me ,Bunny Carr.

You know the advts:

Justin Kilcullen from Trocaire

Fergus Finlay from Bernardos

John O'Shea of Goal !

Anybody else get a bit of a smell from all this ? Surely its the charity thats the important bit not the name of the Dude that's running it ?

Especially when we know very little about the remuneration financial controls and expenses structures of these organisations .

Reference recent apology from Red Cross re donations unused and the extraordinary salary of the Rehab CEO,

Don't mean to boast but as you can see from the above The Crown was right on the money on this one.

Refer the Indo report of lack of controls in State Funded charities and a salary cap proposed fro their C status execs.

Sommat was rotten here and you can trust The Crown to sniff it out and make you aware......

How did they get away with it for so long ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

At least you didn't mention John Q Taxpayer for once.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

squod wrote: »
    Big stir over the African aid programme. Warlords accounting for 60% of all charitable donations apparently. Whadayoudo.
    Technical expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I QUOTE=Chuck Stone;73534386]I don't know how transparent their accounts are but they should be availiable for all to see on the web with the click of a mousse. <grammar nazi gona bite?[/QUOTE]
    I don't see how a chocolate dessert will help in the matter.

• Advertisement

Old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement