Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton Queen Potatoes

Options
  • 28-07-2011 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Also posted in Cork City forum

I got a bag of Ballycotton Queen's this week as my husband loves them.

But I've no idea how best to cook them. I know you just scrub them. Normally I just cut up and chuck into boiling water.

Should I steam them instead? If so, how long for?

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Until you can easily put a blunt knife into them and still feel resistance in the centre. If your blunt knife goes through very easily with no resistance, and they have not gone to mush, SERVE IMMEDIATELY. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Scrub them and steam them for about 20-30 mins depending on size.

A must is that you serve with a knob of (real) butter and some finely chopped fresh parsley to sprinkle over them - Mama mia !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Fab!! Thought steaming might be the way to go as whenever I've boiled them, they go to mush :(

I'll give that a go so...

Thanks very much! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Fab!! Thought steaming might be the way to go as whenever I've boiled them, they go to mush :(:D

The cooking is too fast for you: your sections are too small: as a rough guide, the newer the stud the bigger you cook it, the older they are the smaller [as they are getting tougher with age].

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whenever anyone ask me how I boil my spuds, I reply that I don't, I steam them.
    I can see no reason to boil any spuds rather than steaming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement