Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Townlands

Options
  • 28-07-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭

Our fair county is made up of a lot of townlands of varying names. Some of those name have been duplicated throughout the county. I don't mean upper and lower or east and west or north and south, I mean the actual same townland name used in another part of the county.

I'm not asking about the reasons behind this, just examples of it.

I'll start off:

Ballinacourty (at least 4 in the county)

Clonea (the two main ones)

Lyre (Cappoquin and Kilmacthomas)

Ballynamoyntra (Dunmore East and Cappagh)

Carrowncashlane (Kilgobnet and twomilebridge)

Anybody else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Not that I didn't realise this before with our mail sometimes going astray but noticed this again recently when checking a route on the AA route planner just type in any known end point and then put any local Townlands in the start point and the route planner will give you all the similar options it has in its database.

Sorry if thats cheating ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Play around with logainm.ie

It will fill your day with joy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I just thought it might be of interest. Probably too 'old school' to catch the imagination.

Anyhow, anyone doing anything nice for the long weekend?

Advertisement