Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS Number and rent agreement

Options
  • 28-07-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I've been looking for an apartment to rent in Dublin 8. I found one today that ticks all the boxes, agreed on a rent value etc with the landlord. However, he said that he requires a photocopy of our passports (myself and the person I'm sharing with) along with our PPS numbers and reference letters. I can understand the reference letters but I'm concerned about the PPS numbers and passport photocopies. I was just wondering is this normal practice?

Edit: forgot to mention that we're both students on a twelve month lease if that makes any difference

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ya if your landlord is registered with the ptsb (tenancy board) then they will need your pps no to register you as tenants. Not sure about the passport copies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Phone Threshold and ask them, they will know for sure. http://www.threshold.ie

Oh by the way - you need his PPS # for tax returns as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

Thanks for the replies, i was more concerned about the PPS numbers, he (the letting agent, not the landlord) said that he needed the passports for proof of identity

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

Victor wrote: »
    yeah, that's what i was worrying about because i thought it was a very strange request like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It sounds regular enough to me. You can't rent a car or a DVD without having a copy made of your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

worded wrote: »
    Oh by the way - you need his PPS # for tax returns as far as I know.

No you don't. You can claim the rent allowance without his PPS.

He needs your PPS to register with the PRTB. Probably asking for passport for proof of ID.

Nothing that unusual in the request, but like others have said, I'd show them the passport, rather than giving them a copy, but at the same time, I wouldn't personally have a major issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Paulw wrote: »
    No you don't. You can claim the rent allowance without his PPS.

He needs your PPS to register with the PRTB. Probably asking for passport for proof of ID.

Nothing that unusual in the request, but like others have said, I'd show them the passport, rather than giving them a copy, but at the same time, I wouldn't personally have a major issue with it.

re Landlords PPS - Like the man with new orthopedic shoes I stand corrected.

I would still be uneasy about giving anyone a copy of my passport.
    Identity theft being the main reason.

Its on the number 1 on this list here.
    http://www.infoineed.com/money/how-to-prevent-identity-theft

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

no he doesnt need pps, its an optional input on prtb website - theres a checkbox saying 'couldnt get it'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

no he doesnt need pps, its an optional input on prtb website - theres a checkbox saying 'couldnt get it'

Landlords are requested to supply it- in *exceptional* circumstances where tenants are unable to supply it to the landlord, they can waive this requirement- however it is supposed to be exceptional in nature- not, the tenant couldn't be arsed to supply the PPSN........

FYI- Revenue share the PRTB database now- and if a tenancy is registered with a tenants PPSN- any request for a tax credit for renting, will be instantaneous- where it can take weeks to process otherwise.

With respect of the passport- I know I'd be damn unhappy to supply a copy of my passport to anyone. Offer a drivers licence or another piece of identification instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Ok I didn't want to give the PPS number but now I will and I like the idea of showing the passport rather than copying it.

What about a "copy of a bank statement" and a "bank account number" - I have no idea why they need that and they are definitely not getting it. They are getting work and previous landlord reference and PPS number and showing them the passport so why need anything else? Next they'll be after mother's maiden name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not sure about bank account number, but bank statement is because they want to check you indeed make the salary you are claiming (in case work reference is fake), and also that you can budget- if statement shows you are in the red a lot, they may be afraid you won't have the rent even with a good salary.

I have actually heard of some LLs wanting the contact details for young/ student renters parents...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

They can f right off. Our employer references don't actually have a salary figure on them.

I had a flick through the Data Protection Act and they can only request the minimum personal information they need. Ah I think I'll keep asking them for their data protection policies etc until they just leave us alone.

Advertisement