Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to do in Sligo on Monday

Options
  • 28-07-2011 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Myself and a male friend are heading to Sligo on Monday for the day, just looking for something to do?

Preferably nothing expensive, we need somewhere central as we will be relying on public transport and don't want to spend a fortune on taxi's etc.

We get there around midday and will be getting the 7pm train home, so have plenty of time.

We were thinking of heading to a beach (not sure which one) if the weather is nice, if not anything else we can do?

We are 20 and 24/25.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Hey,

Myself and a male friend are heading to Sligo on Monday for the day, just looking for something to do?

Preferably nothing expensive, we need somewhere central as we will be relying on public transport and don't want to spend a fortune on taxi's etc.

We get there around midday and will be getting the 7pm train home, so have plenty of time.

We were thinking of heading to a beach (not sure which one) if the weather is nice, if not anything else we can do?

We are 20 and 24/25.

Cheers for any help.

If you are in any way interested in history, Sligo Abbey is well worth a visit. If you let on that you're local, it should be pretty easy to blag your way in for free for a look around! ;) But it would be well worth your while paying the couple of euro to get a full tour of the place - the guides know their stuff, and the place has a very interesting history!

If you could make your way out to Knocknarea, it's a lovely little mountain to climb, with great views from the top. It's probably a tenner each way in a taxi - I don't think any buses go out there (although buses do go to the seaside village Strandhill, which is within a couple of kilometers of it.)

You could walk to Rosses Point beach - it's a lovely beach, maybe 1.5 hour walk from Sligo town? There are probably buses going there too.

Hazelwood is a really special little forest a couple of kilometers from the town. It's just beautiful, and well worth a visit. A very peaceful, natural, relaxing place on the banks of Lough Gill. Well worth a visit. I would imagine that you'd be definitely be able to negotiate a cheap rate with a taxi to bring you there and collect you a couple of hours later - might be a nice place to bring a picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Here's the bus time table to Strandhill

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1264591284-472.pdf

And Rosses Point - remember Monday is a bank holiday

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1264591285-473.pdf

Both have lovely beaches and restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Cheers for the help guys.

Are there any shopping centres in the town centre? Are they open on Monday?
    Here's the bus time table to Strandhill

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1264591284-472.pdf

And Rosses Point - remember Monday is a bank holiday

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1264591285-473.pdf

Both have lovely beaches and restaurants.
    Thanks a million for this, much appreciated.

Are both of those beaches sandy beaches? To my knowledge there is a beach in Sligo that is stoney/pebbly (not sure which one though), as we'd prefer a sandy beach to a stoney/pebbly one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Cheers for the help guys.

Are there any shopping centres in the town centre? Are they open on Monday?

Thanks a million for this, much appreciated.

Are both of those beaches sandy beaches? To my knowledge there is a beach in Sligo that is stoney/pebbly (not sure which one though), as we'd prefer a sandy beach to a stoney/pebbly one.

Rosses Point would be the sandy one!

Strandhill would be the stoney one - you definitely can't go swimming in Strandhill at any time, whereas Rosses Point is very safe and there's a lifeguard on duty a lot of the time.

There are two main shopping centres in Sligo - Quayside and Johnsons Court. Both will be open - however, you won't get anything particularly special in those places that you wouldn't get anywhere else, to be honest. I wouldn't recommend Sligo as a place for shopping in.

Rosses Point would be the sandy one!

Strandhill would be the stoney one - you definitely can't go swimming in Strandhill at any time, whereas Rosses Point is very safe and there's a lifeguard on duty a lot of the time.

There are two main shopping centres in Sligo - Quayside and Johnsons Court. Both will be open - however, you won't get anything particularly special in those places that you wouldn't get anywhere else, to be honest. I wouldn't recommend Sligo as a place for shopping in.
    Thanks a million for your help, appreciate it. Hopefully the weather will be good and we can head to Rosses Point :)

I actually found out about those shopping centres after I posted here.

They do seem to have a lot of the big brand/name shops around, I won't complain though as I rarely ever get to visit them (I don't like near to any of them).

Are the shops big or just smallish? I assume they are small compared to the Dublin stores?

Whats the cinema like in Quayside?

• Advertisement

Ya Rosses Point is sandy and nicer for walking on but Strandhill has amazing waves and you can still walk on the shore, plus the bars and restaurants are more central in Strandhill whereas in Rosses Point they are further down the promenade. Both are lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

How about a sticky regarding things to do in Sligo town and county? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks a million for your help, appreciate it. Hopefully the weather will be good and we can head to Rosses Point :)

I actually found out about those shopping centres after I posted here.

They do seem to have a lot of the big brand/name shops around, I won't complain though as I rarely ever get to visit them (I don't like near to any of them).

Are the shops big or just smallish? I assume they are small compared to the Dublin stores?

Whats the cinema like in Quayside?

Hey bobz...

The cinema isn't actually in quayside, its just beside it, but its big and nice. The more major films get the bigger screens, but I don't think its open until 4. Have a mooch through both shopping centers. Quayside is bigger with a couple of floors and Johnstons court has only one, which is basically a walk through.

In fairness if you take a break from the trekkin around and have a pint in the likes of the garavoue or Hargadons, the latter I recommend then you wouldn't have too much difficulty in passing the day in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The cinema starts showing films at 2.

Thanks a million for the help guys.

According to the Quayside website the cinema is there? Or is there two cinemas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its not actually part of the development, although it looks like it from the map they have. It is just next door however. Sorry for being a bit anal about that.

genie wrote: »
    How about a sticky regarding things to do in Sligo town and county? :)

Good idea, there are some good suggestions on this thread too and I'm sure there are many others knocking about

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72093533

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Rosses Point is lovely but make sure you have a fat wallet if you want to eat out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Strandhill has a sandy beach too :) much nicer than Rosses Point I think. Also you could go to Seaweed baths there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Hazelwood is beautiful, you could have a picnic there or at Rosses Point, theres two large supermarkets in town that you could buy food, or some lovely bakeries and deli's like Kates Kitchen and the Gourmet Parlour, both are within 5 minutes walking distance of city centre and about 15m from train station.

Hey Purple Bobbin, did you visit Sligo Monday?

Advertisement