Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry cow treatment for suckler cows

• 28-07-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Do any suckler farmers on here ever dry cow tube they're sucklers particularily the autumn calvers. After havin 3 cases of mastitis already one in a fresh calver one in a cull and one in a cow weaned about 3 weeks. also how much do tubes cost?:( thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Do any suckler farmers on here ever dry cow tube they're sucklers particularily the autumn calvers. After havin 3 cases of mastitis already one in a fresh calver one in a cull and one in a cow weaned about 3 weeks. also how much do tubes cost?:( thanks in advance

the tubes arent dear, think the last ones i got were maybe 2 euro each, not sure on that actually but you would be taking you life in your hands trying to tube alot of suckler cows..my ones anyhow :rolleyes:
    the flies are desperate this time of year and i think they are alot of the problem, good idea to spray cow with stockholm tar spray. if tubing tie the leg to crush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

spot on or similar along their back and stockholm tar on their spins ... pain in the butt but very worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

ya i dry tube the cows and use a teat sealer as well and use the stocktom tar on any autumn calvers great job .the dry mastitis is some mess and i try to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Dry tube cows each yr as they are milky.....lot of lads class it as waste of time but same fellas tend to be selling cows with one or two spins gone every yr!....regular dry tubes do job fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

thanks for all d replies lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ok so dry cow tubes are supposed to last for at least 4 weeks , so why did my cow get mastitis 1 week after drying off with leo red- had got tar and fly pour on at drying off also

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hillclimber

Possibly bacteria introduced when being tubed ? Sometimes youre damned if you do and damned if you dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

hi folkes,
    lookin for some advice, have a dry suckler cow with mastitis, we treated her with injection a few weeks ago and vet amputated infected teat to drain, she was lame at the time. over the next week or 2 she seemed fine eating well and no limp but i noticed 3 days ago she has a lump beside the previously infected teat with mucus and flies at her again, she still eating away and no limp but seems a bit irritated, we seperated her from the bunch and put her in the crush and put stock tar on her but i felt the hard lump around the teat. my neighbour said not to do anythin with her that she will be fine it wil drain out of her over time, any other advice on what to do as she has had the mastitus now for a while wil it just run its course or is there a good treatment.
    she is a 3yr old lim in calf since june, she had no calf this yr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

unless she is sick in herself you should do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

thanks 49801,
    wil the swelling/lump go down over time, she does not appear sick now anyway and has not lost any condition so wil leave her be, wil put her back wit rest of herd in few days if no change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

ronman wrote: »
    thanks 49801,
    wil the swelling/lump go down over time, she does not appear sick now anyway and has not lost any condition so wil leave her be, wil put her back wit rest of herd in few days if no change.

if you have any doubts get your vet out again.
    the swelling will go down.
    also had vet amputate a quater from a cull cow lately. also developed an ozsing wound separate to the amputation wound. appear fine now with swelling/hardness much reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

whelan1 wrote: »
    ok so dry cow tubes are supposed to last for at least 4 weeks , so why did my cow get mastitis 1 week after drying off with leo red- had got tar and fly pour on at drying off also
    or a flare-up of a subclinical infection caused by a resistant bug?

Advertisement