Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting sponsorship

Options
  • 28-07-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all. My question is similar to the previous thread. I am looking for a sponsor in Aus and I dont know how to go about it. I have been told that I cannot get a skilled migration visa because I am not currently employed. One of the requirements is that you have to be in work for 12 of the previous 24 months. I have been out of work for this time (thanks to the collapse of the economy). It seems my only option is for a sponsorship visa but how do I get a sponsor if I'm stuck here in Ireland. Are there any others out there in the same position. I would love to hear from you. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Go to Oz on a WHV and try to get sponsorship while you're out there?? That's what I intend on doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

bernieobr wrote: »
    Hi all. My question is similar to the previous thread. I am looking for a sponsor in Aus and I dont know how to go about it. I have been told that I cannot get a skilled migration visa because I am not currently employed. One of the requirements is that you have to be in work for 12 of the previous 24 months. I have been out of work for this time (thanks to the collapse of the economy). It seems my only option is for a sponsorship visa but how do I get a sponsor if I'm stuck here in Ireland. Are there any others out there in the same position. I would love to hear from you. Thanks

You haven't mentioned what you do? Are you a Doctor, Nurse, Mining Engineer, Geologist, Engineer? What's your angle to stand out to an employer and say "I am here in Ireland.... Here are my skills if you want sponsor me"

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernieobr

Thanks for the replies.

To Munster Gal - A WHV is not an option as myself and hubby are in our 40's.

To Mandrake - Hubby is a gasfitter/plumber but unfortunately unemployed since his business collapsed in 2009 hence the lack of work experience in the last 12 of 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please do a search on the forum, there has been lots of discussion about sponsorship in the past.

How do you find a sponsor - a sponsor is an employer, you find one by sending CV's/ writing letters to every company you think can sponsor you.

But be careful, getting sponsorship from Ireland is difficult, and in mid 40's I would say even harder.

And don't pay money to companies who promise a visa - I heard some scamming stories about them.

A plumber would be a good start, the only thing you can do is go on www.seek.com.au and apply for jobs. Expect disappointment at the start but if you keep plugging you might get something, Plumber is in big demand but it all depends on whether an employer thinks its worth while going through the process or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 bernieobr

Thanks Hussey and Mandrake. Will search deeper into threads re - sponsorship and will look at seek.com. Appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bernieobr wrote: »
    I have been told that I cannot get a skilled migration visa because I am not currently employed. One of the requirements is that you have to be in work for 12 of the previous 24 months.

That's not a requirement, its just a benefit, ie its gives you points towards to your total. Check the points first to see if you qualify, on the immigration website

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not a requirement, its just a benefit, ie its gives you points towards to your total. Check the points first to see if you qualify, on the immigration website

At that age and even with 8.0 in IELTS they would still be so short of points they would need state sponsored, and I think they need the recent experience for SMP.

Everyones circumstances is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the age thing so just said check to be sure, i was thinking they'd fall short. But I haven't tried out the new 2011 points system yet either

In terms of GSM once you are over 40 unless you have a PhD points is going be a struggle, but even getting sponsored for 457 is only a short term fix at the end of the day if you want to stay still have to apply for permanent residency. Back to square one.

ENS is the sensible option but it's hens teeth mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement