Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic college tips for mature students

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I have a question if you don't mind me asking? How do i motivate myself to study more? That might sound stupid as im so motivated to do the course, but...

Are there any tips to make it all easier?

Having a study journal is good to keeping you on track. Even if you put aside 2 or 3 hours at the weekend to go over what you've covered during the week it will stand greatly to you coming up to exam time.

Making out flashcards too helps. You can then have them in your bag and go through them when you're on the bus/train.
    Will wrote: »
    Debating whether to cycle or hop on the bus.

As a student Physio I have to encourage everybody to get lots of physical activity! :pac: I'd say the bus for most days Will. You'll be sitting down for a lot of the time in college and it can turn you into a pudge! Also, you'll save money and exercise helps reduce stress levels.

You can get 7 day non-consecutive student bus tickets which would be handy for you if you decide to take the bus in one of the days.
    Tulip11 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Anyone inthe same boat as me.....mortgage, bills, day-to-day living expenses...... who's going to have to work part-time?

Shops, bars, restaurants, care work. Put the word out to family and friends that you're looking for work. The student union of your college might have a list of student jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Larianne wrote: »

As a student Physio I have to encourage everybody to get lots of physical activity! :pac: I'd say the bus for most days Will. You'll be sitting down for a lot of the time in college and it can turn you into a pudge! Also, you'll save money and exercise helps reduce stress levels.

You can get 7 day non-consecutive student bus tickets which would be handy for you if you decide to take the bus in one of the days.

I've turned into a pudge already, my walk to work is basically; kitchen - garage where I turn bowls. Yeah I think maybe get some rain gear and just cycle, will do me good.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cabaret

This is a very informative thread and I will take alot away from this so thank you to all who have shared their experience and knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

:pac: Im heading back to College this year, Business Studies, excited, but EXTREMELY nervous. It's soo embarressing the first day, but after 2 years of exploring my options haha, going back doesnt seem as bad as the first time when I was straight out of school. I just hate those intro games they play, I'd rather just get stuck into it all. Nerves do be gone.

Goodluck to everyone heading back this year! :D

Anyone done Business?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Totally agree first time around was so pre occupied with making friends and if i was liked and what i wore and if i fit in i never actually enjoyed it! This time i plan on working hard and playing hard, learning new things and letting it all happen! So excited and nervous! not doing business but good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

Exactly, just go in and do what you came in for, it'll all happen itself, whatevers meant to happen. One half of being successful is just showing up. Once your there the rest follows.

Yeowww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Seen this is another forum and thought it was good advice
    Siuin wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't use a hardback- with college notes you'll be rewriting them, re-organising, adding things etc the whole time, so you're much better off using an A4 refil pad.

At the start of each year I make headings of all my subjects on one page, and under each heading I put the course code (eg ENG104200), the module co-ordinator, the lecturer, your tutor (if applicable) and important email addresses for asking questions, such as your lecturer's or tutor's. It saves you from rifling through all your stuff at the end of the year when you need to submit an assignment before the deadline or ask a last minute question.

For lecture notes, I put a shorthand title of the course (eg English Literature = E.Lit.) in the corner and VERY IMPORTANT- the date! Number your pages and when you (hopefully!) do further reading later, include it in those notes and staple them together. However, it's usually better to staple by topic, just in case a lecture runs over a bit. During the week, I have a hard folder (so it doesn't get messed up in my bag) and a pocket for each subject, but at the end of the week I file my notes into one of those envelope pockets and start again. By the end of the year you should have all your subjects in chronological order and you'll be able to notice straight away if you missed a lecture because you'll be missing a 'week'.

So in short, I'd buy:
    - Highlighters (don't underline stuff- it doesn't work as well)
    - Blue and red pens
    - Tip Ex
    - Stapler
    - Memory key (for backing up all your stuff- a real must)
    - A few A4 refil pads (preferably ruled with feint lines)
    - 1 hard folder (to keep in your bag throughout the week)
    - Approx. 10-15 plastic pockets for the folder
    - An envelope folder for each subject (preferably colourful- makes it easier to find)
    - Labels for folders

Also- don't throw out notes after each year. You'd be surprised how many people do this... even if it's a subject you don't think you'll ever do again, you'd be surprised how it can come in useful. I was so annoyed when I realised I'd thrown out my classical studies notes from the leaving cert, as I later decided to do an elective which covered the works of Plato in first year arts- ahhhh!

PS I pack my lunch and don't give a sh!t what people think- it saves me about 25euros a week. Also, I bring a backpack - too much crap to carry and I'm not becoming a cripple to look cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DjSteve

Some really great advice in this thread. Thanks guys :) It will give me a few things to think about before i start in September.

Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

any idea s about a lap top? how much? memory size etc
    cost?

Advertisement