Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Geography UCD

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi Everyone,

I got accepted into the MA in Geography in UCD. I just want to ask does anyone know what the timetable is like?
    Perhaps anyone who has completed the MA during the 2010/2011 academic year could tell me what theirs was like and could be the same as next year?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I finished it this year; the timetable works out at around 6-8 contact hours per week.
    You've a new program so things will be different but generally to do well, you will be working a lot.
    Any questions send me a PM.

I answered some other questions here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056325486

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shellywelly25

I did the MA in 2009/2010 , I think it was the first year of the changes and there was some confusion throughout the year, however I totally enjoyed the year, it is a lot of work but well worth it if you are prepared to put the hours in.
    what area are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CACarly

I'm starting my Geography MA at UCD this September as well and I was wondering if anyone knew if GIS was heavily incorporated into the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

CACarly wrote: »
    I'm starting my Geography MA at UCD this September as well and I was wondering if anyone knew if GIS was heavily incorporated into the program?

Pretty sure you do a fair bit of it alright, they have a new GIS lab for it and all. Also, you're able to access Arc 9.2 (or 9.3, it's been a while) from UCD Connect, so aye GISing it all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

There is Arc 10 in the GIS lab.

There may be less GIS than in previous years but there should still be a decent bit.
    If you use it in your thesis, there will definitely be enough.

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Well I looked at the course outline, as far as I'm aware there isn't much GIS if any. The entire course has changed this year. Because UCD was poor doing GIS in the 3 year BA degree, it won't be heavily taught. I guess they'd start teaching in the course, but nothing advance at it wouldn't be fair on previous UCD undergrads.

I'm doing the course too, so see ya in September :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CACarly

Mr.BA wrote: »
    Well I looked at the course outline, as far as I'm aware there isn't much GIS if any. The entire course has changed this year. Because UCD was poor doing GIS in the 3 year BA degree, it won't be heavily taught. I guess they'd start teaching in the course, but nothing advance at it wouldn't be fair on previous UCD undergrads.

I'm doing the course too, so see ya in September :)
    I'm surprised there isn't much GIS exposure in the course but I'll try and find a way to work on my GIS skills while i'm there. See you Mr.BA in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

From what I hear, the intro to GIS is being taught in 3rd year,which is strange. What's also strange is that Topics in Urban and Regional Planning was taught as an intro module last year as a guinea pig situation. Needless to say, easiest A ever. See you guys next year when these darn German resits are done and my bombardment of geopolitical papers into the Department is complete. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SoaringPanda

Quick question about the registration for this course. I sent an email to one of the coordinators outlining my module choices, is there still any need to resister online ? My email client was sending most of the emails I received from the department to my junk folder and I missed a lot of correspondence as a result.

Advertisement