Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is soya that bad?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

ive been reading up on soya recently and there seems to be a big debate about the health effects of soy. japan is one of the highest consumers of soy in the world and yet they are reported to be one of the top healthiest nations in the world. the argument against soy is pretty much that soy lowers testosterone in men and saps nutrients from the body when consumed. i have difficulty understanding this as there are no clear links to this research. arguments against this suggest the reason the test subjects in this case had low levels of testosterone was because they were vegetarians and this was the main cause. the food industry is being accused of creating false info on soya because of its versatility as a crop and its rise in popularity.
    can anyone share some light on the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

As far as I know, I think that it depends on the origin and source of the soy. It is supposed to be healthy if natural but dangerous if GM...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Soya is really good, and can be tasty if used correctly in the right dish, and most of the stuff you hear against soya is stuff written for interest groups acting against soya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Nothing wrong with the crop in of itself but it was one of the first things they started doing a lot of the GM fiddling with so you'd want to be wary where it's coming from.

Health wise I'd say the best rule of thumb is buy something that's grown near you and is as unprocessed as possible. At least you know what you're getting. Less ingredients on the label the better. Just what I go by but everybody has an opinion on these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

never tried it, never will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

never tried it, never will

Wouldn't go near it when I can have eggs, meat and whey.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

you can basically get soya
    sausages
    burgers
    beef
    milk
    cream
    cheese
    egg replacement

and lots lots more. i think this maybe the reason soys has such a bad rep

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Jaysis if the nutritional value of soya is a concern for you, you must be ridiculously healthy.

marxcoo wrote: »
    Jaysis if the nutritional value of soya is a concern for you, you must be ridiculously healthy.

i never of thought of it that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

When you have a multi-billion euro worldwide industry like meat or dairy, they obviously have the money to fund "studies" and "reports" into the negative effects of dairy alternatives (soya, coconut, almond, rice, oat, etc). </conspiracy>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I read a report on it where a man started growing breasts from too much consumption. In fairness he was guzzling gallons of the stuff everyday. I guess it's grand stuff but it's not for me.

• Advertisement

Tehachapi wrote: »
    When you have a multi-billion euro worldwide industry like meat or dairy, they obviously have the money to fund "studies" and "reports" into the negative effects of dairy alternatives (soya, coconut, almond, rice, oat, etc). </conspiracy>

would you think this is the sole reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

Its bad that millions of acres of the amazon rainforest are being cleared to grow soya that feeds tree hugging vegans and powers biodiesel cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I drink soya milk its grand once you get use to it and hate the thought of drinking cows milk. I remember something about tofu being bad sometimes because of the way it is fermented and the way the have it in China is made the right way.

LumpyGravy wrote: »
    Its bad that millions of acres of the amazon rainforest are being cleared to grow soya that feeds tree hugging vegans and powers biodiesel cars.

i agree. but cattle have the same effect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Keep it away from dead squid in order to retain sanity (and stomach contents)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Tehachapi wrote: »

When you have as tasty a product as the meat and dairy industries do, you don't need to fund these studies...

:pac:

If we're talking about delicious soy sauce.. I have it once or twice a day all over my sticky rice and veg. I've become a bit of a connoisseur and have a favourite brand by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

karma_ wrote: »
    Keep it away from dead squid in order to retain sanity (and stomach contents)

Here in Korea they eat live octopus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

LumpyGravy wrote: »

And that soya is to feed KFC chickens..!! So, now what!? :)

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/press/releases/kfc-exposed-for-trashing-the-a/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

positron wrote: »
    ... So, now what!? :)

Try oat milk! http://www.oatly.co.uk/

Mmmmmmm, oats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

kraggy wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,593 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've been using soy milk (mostly the Tesco stuff in the blue box recently, its the one I prefer for taste) since the 80s and I seem to be surviving ok. Cows milk disagrees with me, and I don't like the taste of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,593 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That dancing squid thing has to be one of the most disgusting food films I have ever seen.

kraggy wrote: »

Think it was three of four were killed when they made Old Boy.. The director thanked them during an awards cemerony. Would love to try it for the sake of it.

Advertisement