Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting timber shed, want natural look

• 28-07-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I built the shed in the attached image a couple of years ago and it's time to paint it as even though the timber is pressure treated its starting to go greyish. The picture was taken after a shower of rain and the timber is wet...that is exacly how I want the shed to look after painting rather than staining it with the fake looking fence paints etc. that are on the market.
    Has anyone any idea what type of paint would give that finish and also be durable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need to oil it, You can use Linseed oil for this.
    Some proprietary oils like Danish oil have other ingredients like Tung oil as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Be aware that if you oil it you will need to reapply the oil regularly, a few times a year at least, and since some oil is roughly about €30/litre it can work out relatively expensive. A marine varnish would be more durable and you can achieve a gloss finish if it's a 'wet look' you're after.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

+ 1 for yacht varnish. Even better is a mix of polyurethane varnish, boiled linseed oil and white spirit in equal proportions. It is easy to apply, dries fairly quickly, it makes your expensive varnish go further and best of all, you can control the degree of shine. You don't need to let each coat dry before applying the next one. The more coats you apply the higher the shine. And it doesn't flake off off over time like pure varnish can.
    It's a finish for dummies - I use it on everything.

By the way, has anyone noticed the price of varnish these days :eek:?
    And is there really any difference between yacht varnish and polyurethane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have used oil a lot and I have never had to apply it more than once a year.
    It depends on the oil you use, crap oil will wash out fast good oil lasts much longer.
    If you use yacht varnish you will need to apply it a good few times to get a durable finish and even then it can flake over time.
    I can't comment on the oil and varnish mix, I have used oil mixed with oil paint to get a specific colour but have never tried it with varnish.
    I just oiled my fascia and soffit today with linseed oil.
    The twice boiled AllBack stuff is excellent!

Advertisement