Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be a huge risk....

Options
  • 28-07-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

If I ordered something form Newegg for my friends to bring back from the US?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ChimpyGamer

Well, as I believe it NewEgg don't ship to US, only Canada.
    Aside from that fact, I don't see any reason why not. NewEgg have spectacular offers and once the computer is properly packaged (bubble wrap?) there should be no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Well, as I believe it NewEgg don't ship to US, only Canada.
    Aside from that fact, I don't see any reason why not. NewEgg have spectacular offers and once the computer is properly packaged (bubble wrap?) there should be no problems.
    They do deliver to the US. Fo' free. It would be an SSD, not a full PC. I'm not sure what to do if there is a problem with the drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You'd have to RMA it, and they'd only ship it to the original shipping address, so if your friends aren't there then... well that could be problematic.

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Newegg before, and I've never had problems with any of it. Odds are you'll be fine, but there's always that small chance that you could be one of the unlucky ones.

What drive is it? Are you actually saving a lot by buying it from the Egg?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it's just a single drive, I doubt there'd be any trouble. I'd say main luggage would have less problems (securely packed), given that they search your hand luggage a dozen times. You could have some of the packing opened/disposed of so that if it comes to it, that customs know that it's definitely not for resale.

Friends have brought new laptops and various individual pieces in the past without problems. Then again, you could travel with a laptop but an SSD would be more unusual unless you're using it as a large usb drive.

I'd say you'll be fine. As far as I know though, they don't take foreign credit cards and you might need a fixed address. If your friends are citizens, it's easier than holidaymakers.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    You'd have to RMA it, and they'd only ship it to the original shipping address, so if your friends aren't there then... well that could be problematic.

Just ship it to the manufacturer?

Monotype wrote: »
    If it's just a single drive, I doubt there'd be any trouble. I'd say main luggage would have less problems (securely packed), given that they search your hand luggage a dozen times. You could have some of the packing opened/disposed of so that if it comes to it, that customs know that it's definitely not for resale.

Friends have brought new laptops and various individual pieces in the past without problems. Then again, you could travel with a laptop but an SSD would be more unusual unless you're using it as a large usb drive.

I'd say you'll be fine. As far as I know though, they don't take foreign credit cards and you might need a fixed address. If your friends are citizens, it's easier than holidaymakers.

I'm not worried about customs (I'd be more worried about the case full of booze it will be travelling with:P) It's just returning it etc, if I have problems. The birthday is coming up so I'm treating myself. The Vertex 3 works out at €175 on NewEgg compared to €225 on Komplett for example. Though I haven't shopped around or made a decision on what drive yet.

Didn't know they don't accept foreign cards, that makes the decision on whetehr to buy from NewEgg easier!

• Advertisement

I'm not worried about customs (I'd be more worried about the case full of booze it will be travelling with:P) It's just returning it etc, if I have problems. The birthday is coming up so I'm treating myself. The Vertex 3 works out at €175 on NewEgg compared to €225 on Komplett for example. Though I haven't shopped around or made a decision on what drive yet.

Didn't know they don't accept foreign cards, that makes the decision on whether to buy from NewEgg easier!

In America. ;) Most companies don't offer international warranties. You'd have to check with OCZ, but I'm pretty sure if you buy from OCZ US, you have to ship to OCZ US, and they'll only ship to the US address to which it was sent originally. If they have an international warranty, then this is moot.
    I'm not worried about customs
    [snip]
    Didn't know they don't accept foreign cards, that makes the decision on whether to buy from NewEgg easier!

And so you shouldn't be. I've travelled through the US with an entire suitcase of boxed parts and no-one batted an eye. Though there were several jealous customs people...

An no, Newegg don't accept international cards. If you can add the US address of where your friends are staying to your card - you should be able to, most banks will do it - then it'll work.

To save a bit of time, you might have your friends look in the local Best Buy, or Fry's. They're usually pretty competitive with Newegg, and you wouldn't have to wait on it to be shipped. Also, is there any possibility it could be tested over there first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

In America. ;) Most companies don't offer international warranties.

If that's the case, then I'd be more reluctant to get an SSD of all parts, given their high mortality rate (especially OCZ).

It looks like they might be okay with it.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63231-International-warranty-status.

I think when I sent back their RAM, the closest was in the Netherlands.

Ah, well that's cool then. All Unregistered has to do is add a US address to his card to buy from Newegg and he should be good.

Also, TigerDirect have it for $220 = €155.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=91218&CatId=5300

To save a bit of time, you might have your friends look in the local Best Buy, or Fry's. They're usually pretty competitive with Newegg, and you wouldn't have to wait on it to be shipped. Also, is there any possibility it could be tested over there first?
    I'll enquire about the Fry's / Best Buy and perhaps give OCZ a call about warranty and RMA. Havnig them test it would be a non-runner tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement