Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Tri 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll be marshalling on a white Lapierre tomorrow - say hello, I won't lie, I do bite but I don't have rabies or anything so ye'll be ok. I'm mostly looking forward to the post race food. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Good start for DCT with a full goody bag..... I had to tell wife and kids to stay clear ot it, with all these nice chocolate,jelly beans, chocos, seeds, drink:)

Looks like these is an abondance of weeds in the Liffey. Better brings some grass shears tomorrow for the swim:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭sailing

Looked like a pretty strong current in the centre of the liffey aswell with the strong wind. Hope it calms down by tomorrow otherwise I'll be borrowing those shears as i crawl up along the edges of the bank! Agreed the goody bag is certainly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

what is the blue towel for ?? answers on a post card please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Agreed on all of the above... Impressive goodie bag fair play to pirhanha.

The towel was described as a swim chamois...
    So to absorb water after swimming from.... Ah.... Well.... Gear or wetsuit maybe???

Or to dry ourselves with?

Weather drying up, river did look iffy but hey, lookin forward to this one!

Early start so lads... Match of the day on record...

• Advertisement

Seemed like a really well run event today and weather was perfect apart from the greasy surface for some of the earlier waves on the bike course at the chapelizod gate. Plenty of nasty looking slides, sadistic as I am I got a bit of a thrill from them! :pac:

Edit: My burger was highly unimpressive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Congrats to everyone who competed today. Being a spectator was a great experience for me and I have a greater respect for people who compete in these after watching today's event

I can tell you, i really enjoyed it after burning few calories in the Park.
    May be not the best burger, but better than nothing .....
    Well done to Piranha for such a well organised race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fair play to everyone - I was at the swim start from wave 1 until the last of sprints came out, if I only had the time to learn to swim properly (you never know :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I bet you you put the ketchup and cheese on in the wrong order didn't you? mine was yum :D Fair play for helping out today!

It was a great day and well organized both for registration yesterday and the race today! Support on the course was excellent, speedy results on the web, and a nice t-shirt this year (last years were not proportioned for an average triathlete ;) ). Might have been safer to give the tshirt yesterday and the goody bag today.... i may have gorged myself on chocolate and jellybeans lastnight. Ice cream at the finish FTW!

• Advertisement

Yes great race have to say...

I was one of those that hit the deck on that god damn slippy left by exit gate.
    Brake pads were too worn I found that out the hard way... Ended up having to brake hard and locked up. After that it was some damn slow braking as I went wide twice more and had to bump up a kerb once!
    Shocking driving!

Managed to get straight up and get on with it.

Nasty bit of road rash on my ass, arm and my foot took the main damage.
    Pain didn't come till the end thankfully, theres a hole in my left Tri shoe where it slid along ground and took some skin along with it..

Managed 28th which I'll take.

Well organised event have to say.
    Ice cream and burger went down well with me too.

Now it's healing time and mainly running for a while when foot allows.

Great race. good one for spectators too I'd say.

kingQuez wrote: »
    I bet you you put the ketchup and cheese on in the wrong order didn't you? mine was yum :D Fair play for helping out today!

Cheese? There was no cheese left by the time some of us finished working standing around yapping.

Fazz wrote: »
    I was one of those that hit the deck on that god damn slippy left by exit gate.
    Brake pads were too worn I found that out the hard way... Ended up having to brake hard and locked up. After that it was some damn slow braking as I went wide twice more and had to bump up a kerb once!
    Shocking driving!

Managed to get straight up and get on with it.

Nasty bit of road rash on my ass, arm and my foot took the main damage.
    Pain didn't come till the end thankfully, theres a hole in my left Tri shoe where it slid along ground and took some skin along with it..

Managed 28th which I'll take.

Well organised event have to say.

Now it's healing time and mainly running for a while when foot allows.

Great race. good one for spectators too I'd say.

There was about 10 nasty spills there, I'd say they were all from wave 1/wave 2 it seemed to have dried up after that. Was quite greasy outside the gate when we got there too, luckily that dried up by the time yee were heading out. A lot of people were practically coming to a standstill taking that corner...

I'm pretty sure I know who you are now you've described your injuries!

Good performance for 28th. Well done.
    kingQuez wrote: »
    Ice cream at the finish FTW!
    Fazz wrote: »

Ice cream? :(

Ice cream? :(
    There was a Vodafone sponsored ice cream van at the finish line:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I thought it was really well marshalled and organised but the transition area was a nightmare. Surely it's not that diificult to divide the available racking area by say 3 foot and that's how many competitors you can allow to race.

I think I'm turning into a grumpy old man... but that's the only thing I found fault with. (I guess dredging the river of weeds would be too much to ask :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Being the sad nerd that I am I've looked at the Olympic Results and found the mean average for each time.

Swim 00:33:42
    T1 00:02:22
    Cycle 01:19:38
    T2 00:01:59
    Run 00:49:33
    Overall
    02:47:10

I was behind all of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cepphus.grylle

I guess dredging the river of weeds would be too much to ask

Saw a load of weeds being dragged out of the swim finish on Saturday. Can't fight nature I suppose...

Always a few issues when a race moves to a new transition area.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I thought it was really well marshalled and organised but the transition area was a nightmare. Surely it's not that diificult to divide the available racking area by say 3 foot and that's how many competitors you can allow to race.

I'm surprised I have not seen more quotes like this today. I was in wave 3 and was not impressed by the lack of space around the racks but we all did our best to get everyone in. I was up with my brother at the rack for wave 7 (his first time tri) and there were lads defending "their space" even though there was twice the room between bikes. I politely told him where to go and got his gear in. It was also the usual story with the ratio of portaloos to competitors. Apart from that I enjoyed the race and the brother has gotten the bug :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cepphus.grylle

It was also the usual story with the ratio of portaloos to competitors

I raced Alpe D'huez tri this year and there was 4 portaloos for 1200 competitors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Just wondering, anyone that competed in the swim section of this race ill in the days that followed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Sure did, I was ruined for a week. I never puked or sh*t as bad ever. I also heard a dozen or so from Pulse were also sick. I see in today's paper that cryptosporidium is widespread in the rivers at the moment and the liffey was mentioned so at least I now know why....can't blame the burgers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Yep, was quite unwell for one week, and it was two weeks before I was feeling right. My doctor suggested visiting him before the race if I do it again, to discuss the merits of taking a preemptive antibiotic (about 2 days of a course) - I've forgotten exactly what he said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

No I was ok after . I was a bit apprehensive about it before hand but was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 43 canhascheez

interested wrote: »
    Just wondering, anyone that competed in the swim section of this race ill in the days that followed ?

I was, a week of stomach pains and well.. the rest. Can't say if it was the liffey or not but I cannot think of any other sources of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

thankfully i didnt suffer at all

I was fine too thankfully, but yea a good few from the club had bouts of sickness/illness for a while after.

Defo a test of the immune system it seems!

Shame for a great race to be susceptible to the elements but what can you do.

Advertisement