Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Weekend Help

Options
  • 28-07-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Howdy guys,

Im looking for a bit of information/recommendations/advice on a weekend of trout/pike fishing

Im looking to go somewhere down the country, anywhere will do, prefarebly looking for a lake/river or two with a few trout/pike near some accommodation for a weekend in September - ive had a look on Google, few places booked out etc.
    Any info/pointers would be great.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Hows it goin david,

I just seen your post there. What part of the country would you like to visit. Its hard to give recommendations to places without knowing the general area you may travel to.? And also the methods you wish to use. ie. fly, bait, lure. ??

If its the south east, ther is a few places in and around cork, waterford, wexford..

Both trout/pike lakes and trout rivers alike.

let me know what area you think may appeal to you and i might be able to giv you some pointers..

If not go to this site and it will give you good pointers to locations with stocked lakes around.

http://www.flyfishingarena.ie/ but the majoirty of them lakes are fly fishing with some bait lakes also availble..

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭david_1888

Cheers for the reply Kenny,

As for area, I dont mind going anywhere around the country

Methods would be bait and spinning as one or two of the lads would not be well up on fly.

Was looking at this place up in Fermanagh, seems to be quite decent with many rivers/lakes surrounding it and accommodation too

http://www.belle-isle.com/castle-fishing.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

david_1888 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply Kenny,

As for area, I dont mind going anywhere around the country

Methods would be bait and spinning as one or two of the lads would not be well up on fly.

Was looking at this place up in Fermanagh, seems to be quite decent with many rivers/lakes surrounding it and accommodation too

http://www.belle-isle.com/castle-fishing.htm

If you dont mind where in the country you go then why dont you head down to Lough Corrib? It's got plenty of pike and trout plus there's a chance for a salmon. Just about any fishing method is allowed on the lake bar netting and also most of the b&b's around the lake will supply dapping rod's to you and your mates which anybody can get the hang of in 20 minutes

Sounds good Krppler cheers for that, is there anywhere in particular around the lake I should try go? Would be good to be near a town for few beers afterwards,!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i go to clonbur one weekend a year its a stones throw from corrib and mask, couple o pubs and a nice little hotel, plus choice of lake:), i never fished corrib as i always go to mask, but it wouldnt be known for its pike fishing, though in sayin that i got a 15lber 3yrs ago:D, trout fishing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

I'D +1 for Corrib. there's a chance to catch many different species. trout, pike, perch, roach to name only a few. Oughterard is a great spot for going on the piss too. trolling rapalas behind the boat will catch you trout, the odd pike and plenty of perch. if there are good conditions dapping daddy long legs will do very well.
    If not Killarney is good but expensive to rent a boat there and no pike there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

bayliner wrote: »
    i go to clonbur one weekend a year its a stones throw from corrib and mask, couple o pubs and a nice little hotel, plus choice of lake:), i never fished corrib as i always go to mask, but it wouldnt be known for its pike fishing, though in sayin that i got a 15lber 3yrs ago:D, trout fishing!!

Clonbur is perfect tho town can be a bit dead. Still plenty of pubs tho. Its ideally situated between Corrib and Mask and other smaller lakes such as Lough nafooey. I was there for 3 weeks while I was in the Gaeltacht and im ashamed to say I didnt fish once! (My house was in Finny over looking lough mask!)

Thats great lads thanks for the info, im gonna look into a bit of accommodation in Oughterard and Clonbur and see how I get on, any recomendations on hotels b & b's?

Edit : Just found this place on the banks of the lake, The Waterfront House Country Home, will have a better look when I get home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

the fairhill house hotel is where we stay in clonbur, its a quiet village if fishing is foremost in your plans:D... 2 pubs and the hotel and a tackle shop and small supermarket is pretty much it, but a nice little spot and we will be back next yr, only 5miles from cong also

Advertisement