Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Signal Strength Between Dell Wireless Card and Belkin Router

Options
  • 28-07-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have a Belkin 802.11n wireless router/modem and a Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n Mini-Card in my desktop.

If I connect the desktop to the router with an ethernet cable I get my full 5 Mps internet connection and 100Mps network speed, but if I switch to wireless it gets very flaky, sometimes dropping off altogether.

This happens even if I move the router right beside the desktop, so distance is not an issue.

The Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility reports the signal strength as low, very low, or poor, and sometimes the network speed gets down as low as 1 Mps, but generally hovers around 11 Mps (should be over 300 Mps).

My iphone/ipad both work fine from any where in the apartment, so I reckon it's not the router (although I have changed channels, modes, etc. to no avail). It must be the Dell wireless card. Maybe I just need to optimise/configure the Dell card to work better with my Belkin router?

Anyone any ideas on Dell wireless card settings or any experience of a similar problem? Note that I do not want to boost my router signals strength, I want to sort out the quality of the radio signal between the card/router.

I am using Windows Vista Service Pack 1 with latest updates, latest driver for the Dell card and latest firmware for the router.

Its driving me bananas...

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement