Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's been peeing in my compost bin....?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

...... it was me, actually !

Not directly, though. Don't want to slip and break my neck (or anything else ;)) in the act. So there's an initial deposit in a suitable receptacle for onward transfer to the bin (translation: I pee into a container and then pour it into the bin)

Haven't done it in a while, though.

It's supposed to be good for the composting process.

I know this is like something from After Hours but I'm serious.

Anyone else care to admit they do it??

Or have any advice on it? e.g. can one overdo it by putting too much in?

Or want to express total disgust at the depravity of it all??!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depravity? why waste clean water on nothing when it does good in the compost bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Well if it's all right to put the excreta of horses and cattle in it, why not human pee? Bob Flowerdew says he does it all the time and what's good enough for Bob.....There's some disagreement as to whose though, some experts say any pee will do whereas others say only male, the jury is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

I Do!

We keep a 3 litre compost container on the kitchen counter top that gets emptied daily into a 30 litre bin at the back door. End of each week the big one goes on the compost heap. I pee in the one at the back door!

Definitely helps for the more rapid break down of the organic matter.

Wife hates the idea of it and freaks out if she catches me inflagrante Pissii! Kids love the idea of peeing al fresco!

Read a few months back of an RHA garden in the UK has placed a Pee bail of hay for the male gardeners to use that goes on the compost heap there. Lady gardeners didnt like the possible exposure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Teegan

Yes! Urine is full of nitrates! It's really good for the compost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't see why they couldn't involve the public in the initiative and have a urinal dedicated to it in the visitors toilets that goes out to a big barrel or is fed straight to the compost heap?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was at a wedding once, a garden party, where they had strategically positioned bales as a urinal for the male guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bmaxi wrote: »
    Well if it's all right to put the excreta of horses and cattle in it, why not human pee? Bob Flowerdew says he does it all the time and what's good enough for Bob.....There's some disagreement as to whose though, some experts say any pee will do whereas others say only male, the jury is out.
    The only difference between male and female urine is the testosterone, surely, so girly wee should be fine unless you're marking your territory to keep lions away.

kylith wrote: »
    The only difference between male and female urine is the testosterone, surely, so girly wee should be fine unless you're marking your territory to keep lions away.

I'm not a biochemist but I'd have thought testosterone is present in girly wee too.
    I've no idea what the distinction is, as I said, jury's out. I just know there's no convincing her indoors of the benefits of peeing in the compost bin. Maybe it's just because women find it hard to point in a given direction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'm not a biochemist but I'd have thought testosterone is present in girly wee too.
    I've no idea what the distinction is, as I said, jury's out. I just know there's no convincing her indoors of the benefits of peeing in the compost bin. Maybe it's just because women find it hard to point in a given direction. :)
    I have these things for when I go hiking. Maybe get her a pack so she can help wee on things.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I have these things for when I go hiking. Maybe get her a pack so she can help wee on things.

I've a pretty good idea where they'd end up being shoved. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

There have been a few studies into using human sewage to grow crops, was ruled out for food safety reasons and the bad press. Tanners and dyers use to use urine all the time.

one of the problems with human waste is the hormones present due to the use of the pill, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Love the reference to liquid gold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I regularly add pee to the compost bin.

Used to pee directly in there if I was in the garden but changed approach and now pee in a bottle in the shed. When full it gets poured over.

I only use when I am in the garden. If I'm in the house I use the house facilities.

Urine is a good compost accelerator. Plenty of nitrogen, keeps the pile moist and the fruit flies hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

dfbemt wrote: »
    I regularly add pee to the compost bin.

Used to pee directly in there if I was in the garden but changed approach and now pee in a bottle in the shed. When full it gets poured over.

I only use when I am in the garden. If I'm in the house I use the house facilities.

Urine is a good compost accelerator. Plenty of nitrogen, keeps the pile moist and the fruit flies hate it.

Your aim is true ! :pac: Especially if it's a standard narrow necked bottle. I use a more open plastic container so there's no worries about the steaming jet missing the target......

Advertisement