Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

August Bank Holiday 1997

• 28-07-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭

Met Eireann had promised that any rain would move away and that the bank holiday weekend would get warm and dry by Monday.

However, the rain started on Sunday afternoon and continued relentlessly for three days.

By Wednesday the Suir had burst its banks in Clonmel and SKY news sent a crew to record the regulars in Kitty Kiely's pub having goldfish races in the public bar.

Does anyone remember this epic week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Yes remember it quite well. The southern half of the country got almost continuous rain for 3 or 4 days while the northern half of the country got very little. In fairness to Met Eireann they held their hands up and apologised for not forecasting the rainfall. I think, although I'm not entirely sure, that the models were predicting that the front would stall about 50 miles off the south coast but it ended up moving further north and didn't move for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Remember it well, and iirc 2002 was similar, though ME did forecast it, and Donegal got 27c whilst the rest of us soaked in 15c drizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/major-events.asp?prn=1

Excellent page for all your weather event needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I will never forget this weekend, was camping in Dingle at the time, it never stopped raining for the whole of Sunday & Monday,tent was completely saturated had to head home early mates wipers went on the car just before adare tried to drive with head out the window a la Jim Carrey however had to pay for hotel in Adare. As far as I remember we had an unreal whit weekend that year rest of summer of 97 was rotten!

Advertisement