Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Country this!! PAYE Worker RIP

Options
  • 28-07-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

9pm this evening, just getting back from work - only paid till 5pm. Met the neighbour and wife and the now 7 kids unloading the people carrier with bags and bags and bags from ASDA. (they could at least have spent some of the taxpayers money the recieved down here)

I started a discussion on how bad the country is etc etc,and to which he replied, as long as YOU and the other FECKERS pay the tax, we will be OK.... and cracked open a can of cider from a slab in the boot, laughed and headed into the house.

They have been on SW and have had her rent paid for the last 7 years. Its a good estate and to be honest they have not caused any major problems, but..........

To put a cherry on it, he told me the other day, that they were all heading for Lanzarote this Saturday! For two weeks? He never worked when there was work!

My two kids, who haven't had a holiday in 2 years (not that I am worried about that - I was 30 before I got to fly), and also I try to enterain them locally etc etc, They just can't understand how their dad is working all the hours of the day and wrecked every evening and the other kids dad is always with them at home and never goes to work,.......but DAD why are they going on holidays?

Some country this................. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Great post jayjay.
    Those leeches are no different than the bankers. Both fleecing the taxpayer. The quicker Joan Burton gets at them the better. They dodged work when there was loads of it and now have a great excuse while laughing their heads off at us who are paying for their holidays,cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sounds like my neighbour tbh.

Off on their holidays soon (thank god, peace will be great), both government artists with 5 sprogs.

Lazy feckers the lot of them, and the kids are good for nothing trouble makers. They used to change their car every time the now abolished childcare supplement (can't think of its name) came out every quarter.

Plenty of them around jayjay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Sounds like my neighbour tbh.

Off on their holidays soon (thank god, peace will be great), both government artists with 5 sprogs.

Lazy feckers the lot of them, and the kids are good for nothing trouble makers. They used to change their car every time the now abolished childcare supplement (can't think of its name) came out every quarter.

Plenty of them around jayjay.

Who's running with the Hare and hunting with the Hounds now Buford???? :confused:

Coming from a PAYE background and working a 39hr week I still have sympathy for people who rely on SW payments. People I know would sooner work that draw down SW payments, I really think this thread is unfair and discrimative and should be shut down. I am suprised Buford, as you have stated in the past that you are not working at the moment.
    Sombody is running with the hare and hunting with the hounds... :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭UCD2010

I don't think the OP is discriminating against people on SW. It's people who take advantage of the system they're giving off about, and rightly so. My father worked hard all is life to set up a business which has been hit very hard during the recession. Because he was self employed he cannot claim the dole and now my mother works two jobs and my two sisters and I are also working to put our way through college.. It makes me sick to hear of these leeches who take advantage of the system for every little penny when hard working people who are unfortunate enough to be out of work have to suffer! :mad:

• Advertisement

Who's running with the Hare and hunting with the Hounds now Buford???? :confused:

See, this is an ignorant and trolling comment, and one of the reasons people find you nothing but argumentative.
    Coming from a PAYE background and working a 39hr week I still have sympathy for people who rely on SW payments. People I know would sooner work that draw down SW payments, I really think this thread is unfair and discrimative and should be shut down. I am suprised Buford, as you have stated in the past that you are not working at the moment.
    Sombody is running with the hare and hunting with the hounds... :confused::confused::confused:

On the other hand, you have a bit of substance to what you are saying here, so I have no issue with this post and will reply to it. However you have no business casting aspersions or judgments against me. You know nothing about me. I am nothing like my neighbors.

No, I'm not working at the moment. However, I am doing so not by choice. I was made redundant some time ago and have not been able to find decent employment since. Bear in mind the poverty trap prevents me from taking any old job, as I need to either:
    A) be able to afford childcare on the wages (unlikely) or
    B) be making enough so my oh can stay at home with the kids (again, not likely)

So yes, I am unemployed. From a family of workers who have worked all their lives I find it difficult to sit at home and do nothing all day. I would much rather be working, as I firmly believe that its a man's role to provide for his family. People like this get every single benefit handed out to them. I pay my mortgage (Struggle) and my OH works, and I can't even get a fucking medical card. Holidays? Me? you must be joking, why do you think I built a campervan? yet these fuckers get to piss off on as many holidays as they want and never do a tap in their lives, change cars willy nilly, all the while I wonder how I'm going to make sure I have enough money to make sure the bills are paid each week.

So please, remind me again how I'm running with the hare and hunting with the hounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I no longer have sympathy for these people, I deal with them all day, and i get the classic line.....oh im only gettin the dole.
    what do they expect for not working? now i by no means mean people who are genuienly looking for work, but like in the ops post. 7 years on sw? hols to lanzrote for two weeks?
    I ve not had holiday in 3 years.
    See, this is an ignorant and trolling comment, and one of the reasons people find you nothing but argumentative.

On the other hand, you have a bit of substance to what you are saying here, so I have no issue with this post and will reply to it. However you have no business casting aspersions or judgments against me. You know nothing about me. I am nothing like my neighbors.

No, I'm not working at the moment. However, I am doing so not by choice. I was made redundant some time ago and have not been able to find decent employment since. Bear in mind the poverty trap prevents me from taking any old job, as I need to either:

So yes, I am unemployed. From a family of workers who have worked all their lives I find it difficult to sit at home and do nothing all day. I would much rather be working, as I firmly believe that its a man's role to provide for his family. People like this get every single benefit handed out to them. I pay my mortgage (Struggle) and my OH works, and I can't even get a fucking medical card. Holidays? Me? you must be joking, why do you think I built a campervan? yet these fuckers get to piss off on as many holidays as they want and never do a tap in their lives, change cars willy nilly, all the while I wonder how I'm going to make sure I have enough money to make sure the bills are paid each week.

So please, remind me again how I'm running with the hare and hunting with the hounds?
    wat the hell does running with the hare and hunting with the hounds mean?

booboo88 wrote: »

wat the hell does running with the hare and hunting with the hounds mean?

Its an expression for being on both sides of the fence. I think Sticks was getting at the fact that I am unemployed and yet complaining about the unemployed.

There are, however different types of unemployed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

By the way, I do feel so sorry for the people who are on the dole, by no choice of their own! The people who have lost their jobs with the effects of this recession!

Its the ones who NEVER worked, that I have a problem with!

This man has SEVEN children? I have two children - reason being that I cannot afford more than TWO. I cloth and feed my children and don't expect anyone else to do it for me! You should only have the number of children that you can afford! A man & wife who never worked should not expect the State to pay for these off spring. The same goes for lone parents, fair enough any girl can get pregnant and have a child, but its when you see lone parents with 4/5 kids and expect the State to House them, provide when with a weekly income - there is rarely a sign of a father, who should be paying maintenance. I wouldn't mind, but they can
    get birth control on their Medical Card - another thing we are paying for, for them!

They also got the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance - €200 each for the younger children and €305 for all the older ones! He actually said that this was the spending money for Lanzarote!

The Welfare/Entitlement culture that exists in this country is a bloody joke!

It has got to the stage that the spongers - who never worked in the boom are better off than most of us!

My stomach is actually sick from re-reading this post! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

jajjay wrote: »
    By the way, I do feel so sorry for the people who are on the dole, by no choice of their own! The people who have lost their jobs with the effects of this recession!

Its the ones who NEVER worked, that I have a problem with!

This man has SEVEN children? I have two children - reason being that I cannot afford more than TWO. I cloth and feed my children and don't expect anyone else to do it for me! You should only have the number of children that you can afford! A man & wife who never worked should not expect the State to pay for these off spring. The same goes for lone parents, fair enough any girl can get pregnant and have a child, but its when you see lone parents with 4/5 kids and expect the State to House them, provide when with a weekly income - there is rarely a sign of a father, who should be paying maintenance. I wouldn't mind, but they can
    get birth control on their Medical Card - another thing we are paying for, for them!

They also got the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance - €200 each for the younger children and €305 for all the older ones! He actually said that this was the spending money for Lanzarote!

The Welfare/Entitlement culture that exists in this country is a bloody joke!

It has got to the stage that the spongers - who never worked in the boom are better off than most of us!

My stomach is actually sick from re-reading this post! :mad:

I couldnt agree more, people on sw through no choice or fault of their own, i.e a disability, but those people who just couldnt be arsed actually gall me.
    One person I know is well able to work, in fact she's moving to lanza to be a nail tech after she's finished the course, i.e the one she cribbed about not being free as she's on disability.

This country is a joke, I've a long term illness but I'm not entitled to a medical card as Im working full time. Meds and doc fees cost me 200eur a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Dead right OP. Sickens me. Something needs to be changed. Reduce their payments if they dont apply for a few jobs every week and stop their payments if they refuse a job.
    Two people I know on SW- one just back from 4 weeks in Australia, heading off to Albania soon. The other just back from Vegas and toured Asia not so long ago. Both (in their 20s) living very comfortably and have made a long term choice to claim SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

jajjay wrote: »
    By the way, I do feel so sorry for the people who are on the dole, by no choice of their own! The people who have lost their jobs with the effects of this recession!"................They also got the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance - €200 each for the younger children and €305 for all the older ones! He actually said that this was the spending money for Lanzarote! The Welfare/Entitlement culture that exists in this country is a bloody joke! It has got to the stage that the spongers - who never worked in the boom are better off than most of us!

You know who'll suffer here?
    The kids.

SW system in need of major overhaul.

My mother who is now 59 worked for 42 years in a particular industry before being let go a few months ago. She only knows the job she was doing all her life. The SW office have her absolutely hounded about this and that and looking at possible opportunities in ridiculous areas she knows nothing about and has no interest in at her age.

How do the scammers get away with it for so long??????

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

How do the scammers get away with it for so long??????

Because they know the system better than the people operating it do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

What a load of nonsense.

UCD2010 wrote: »
    I don't think the OP is discriminating against people on SW. It's people who take advantage of the system they're giving off about, and rightly so. My father worked hard all is life to set up a business which has been hit very hard during the recession. Because he was self employed he cannot claim the dole and now my mother works two jobs and my two sisters and I are also working to put our way through college.. It makes me sick to hear of these leeches who take advantage of the system for every little penny when hard working people who are unfortunate enough to be out of work have to suffer! :mad:

I agree with you also to a point, but Op is tarring all SW recipients with the one brush, people who are unemployed and who are working abuse the system, It is very hard to go to work and watch people on SW sit back and relax, or thats what you may believe.

I am aware of a few friends of mine who are not working at the moment, at this very moment in time they would cut off their right arm to get back to work. it is soul destroying to see it, selfemployed and paye workers have also been known to scam the system, tax evasion etc, Its a little bit on both sides I think.

They should all be rounded up and sent packing with Pamela "Easy lies"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Due to demand for a local debate on a national issue that is not unique to Sligo (some elements of it do apply here), after consideration we have decided to reopen the thread.

One post did have to be deleted as the agruement was getting personal.

I'm sure none of you will, but as a reminder please do not start identifying any individuals or groups that may be guilty of abusing the system, and remember to attack the post and not the poster.

Firstly, I would like to withdraw my remark of Sligo Boards Nanny state. Secondly,I would like to apologise to the two mods, Irish Stew and Magnumlady for making these rmarks. I made them out of severe frustration and was on a rant. I do appreciate you have a job to do, and sometimes you can't please everyone!

Thirdly, note to self.... Take a chill pill!

What a load of nonsense.
    Please feel free to elaborate!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

OP, sounds just like my neighbours. Seven kids too. Even the child has commented on how daddy is so clever, never has to work but gets a fortune in child benefits. Likewise, the family is too big to be accommodated in social housing so has 600 plus paid for family each month..and has done for the last 10 years that I know of. Off they go on months holiday abroad each year..thanks to all us taxpayers!

• Advertisement

In the Sticks, I would be obliged if you would reply to my question to you in my last post.

Sadly, do you know that my oh would be better off we weren't living together? If I left the house then she'd be able to get Single mothers allowance as well as a host of other benefits.

You work hard, do the right thing, raise your kids the right way and try to get by as best you can. All the while there are other people in this town who have no interest in every doing a days work as they are getting a pile of cash every week for not working....

I don't know......

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

Welfare culture is not just an Irish thing it's abused by every country that has such a system, and will continue to do so unfortunately, but the percentage that abuse the system is far less than those who genuinely need assistance, and everyone saying that the dole should be cut for everyone etc isn't fair on those people, just because there are scammers which I agree is sickening but the welfare system allows this, why not use some of the unemploymed people who want to work to set up a new department to actively weed out the scammers and give greAter assistance to those that need it

Calm yourself Bufford, or your BP will hit the roof! first of all you stated that my comment was both 'ignorant and trolling' and yet you admit you didn't know what my comment ment. I am not having a poke at your circumstances, two years ago I was where you are now, and it's not a pretty place to be, I almost lost my house at that time.
    The point I was making was that on one hand you will stand up for people who are not working and knock them down again by saying they are '****ers'. I don't believe this guys neighbour is going to Spain and changing his car unless he is making money somewhere else and signing on. if this is the case and he is on the 'fiddle' then he has got to be reported. Having said that nobody wants to report sombody who is signing on and working, the mind boggles!

Calm yourself Bufford, or your BP will hit the roof! first of all you stated that my comment was both 'ignorant and trolling' and yet you admit you didn't know what my comment ment. I am not having a poke at your circumstances, two years ago I was where you are now, and it's not a pretty place to be, I almost lost my house at that time.
    The point I was making was that on one hand you will stand up for people who are not working and knock them down again by saying they are '****ers'. I don't believe this guys neighbour is going to Spain and changing his car unless he is making money somewhere else and signing on. if this is the case and he is on the 'fiddle' then he has got to be reported. Having said that nobody wants to report sombody who is signing on and working, the mind boggles!

Thanks for your concern, but my blood pressure is fine. You're first comment was ignorant and trolling as I originally said, but I'm struggling to find my admission of the lack of understanding. I simply alluded to the interpretation I had of your comment. Can you point it out to me please?

As I said, there are different types of unemployed people. People who don't want to work, and people who do. I form part of the latter.

Thanks for your concern, but my blood pressure is fine. You're first comment was ignorant and trolling as I originally said, but I'm struggling to find my admission of the lack of understanding. I simply alluded to the interpretation I had of your comment. Can you point it out to me please?

As I said, there are different types of unemployed people. People who don't want to work, and people who do. I form part of the latter.

How do you define two diffrent types of unemployed people? how can you be 100% sure that the guy in front of you when you are signing on does not want to work??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

From my own upbringing I'd rather work an honest days work than sign on. My mother has worked skivvy jobs that most people would look down on rather than sign on. I'm disgusted that people abuse the system and so many people having no option but to register for the dole. I see many people my own age on the dole, lying around the house all day, spending back payments on video game consoles. Its a sad state of affairs in this country with little motivation to do anything.

How do you define two diffrent types of unemployed people? how can you be 100% sure that the guy in front of you when you are signing on does not want to work??

Very simple. I'm unemployed and I want to be working. I was working full time until I got made redundant, and should i get the opportunity again I will be back working full time again. I want to work. - Type 1

My neighbours have never worked that I know of. Even back in boom time when you could leave one job today and walk straight into another job. They both stayed at home on there benefits, changed their cars every quarter when the benefits came out, went away on sun holidays with their 5 kids every year..... They have no interest in working and are happy to stay on benefits. They do not want to work. Type 2

Is that clear enough?

I agree with you also to a point, but Op is tarring all SW recipients with the one brush, people who are unemployed and who are working abuse the system, It is very hard to go to work and watch people on SW sit back and relax, or thats what you may believe.

I am aware of a few friends of mine who are not working at the moment, at this very moment in time they would cut off their right arm to get back to work. it is soul destroying to see it, selfemployed and paye workers have also been known to scam the system, tax evasion etc, Its a little bit on both sides I think.

Sticks, There is no way I am painted all SW recipients with one brush! Believe me, I have seen seen what this recession has done to me, my family, extended family, friends, neighbours etc etc etc...... but its the ones that have never worked who gall me, producing child after child after child, and so on so on so on!

I would never try and bring a child into this world, if I thought that I could'nt provide for them!

I DO not think all SW people are the same, def'n not!

JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Quite obviously not everyone who is receipt of social welfare wants to be, but there are some who abuse the system. If you know someone who is fraudulently claiming something they are not entitled to you can report them here.

https://www.welfare.ie/EN/Secure/Pages/ReportSuspectFraud.aspx

• Advertisement

Very simple. I'm unemployed and I want to be working. I was working full time until I got made redundant, and should i get the opportunity again I will be back working full time again. I want to work. - Type 1

My neighbours have never worked that I know of. Even back in boom time when you could leave one job today and walk straight into another job. They both stayed at home on there benefits, changed their cars every quarter when the benefits came out, went away on sun holidays with their 5 kids every year..... They have no interest in working and are happy to stay on benefits. They do not want to work. Type 2

Is that clear enough?

Have you considered reporting them to Social Welfare for fraud? because there is no way a family on SW could -first of all afford two cars let alone change them four times a year, and secondly afford a few 'sun holidays' every year on a SW payment. (unless they are doing a few nixers)However if this is the case then you are obliged to report them.

Advertisement