Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Time Bike Build

• 28-07-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am currently in the middle of a bike build having purchased all the parts (I think) and am currently waiting on a frame from China. First time doing this and just want to make sure I have everything. The pic is a list of everything I've got so far. I think that should just be about enough mechanical components to ride a bike.

picture.php?albumid=1728&pictureid=10192

The one thing I'm not sure of is the tooling required. I know I need a torque wrecnch. I have this set of tools (http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=4624;page=1;menu=1000,185,191;mid=0;pgc=0) which is fairly bog standard but I think I'm missing a few things like the tool for the Hollowtech2 BB cups and probably other things as well. Could I get some recommendations on what else I'll need.

I'll keep the thread updated as the build progresses.

Cheers,
    Phil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Besides the BB tool cablecutters is the only thing which I can think of. A bike stand would make it easier but aint necessary. Got lubes? I'll be looking forward to seeing this build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Anyone up to speed on torque wrenches. This looks like a 1/2 decent deal. http://www.joemckenna.ie/draper-torque-wrench-3-8-sq-10-80nm?keyword=torque+wrench
    How does one calibrate a torque wrench?

Will need one for the smaller torques as well like on the stem.

Lemag wrote: »
    Besides the BB tool cablecutters is the only thing which I can think of. A bike stand would make it easier but aint necessary. Got lubes? I'll be looking forward to seeing this build.

Yes, have lube but was reading a thread here the other day and it gave no conclusive answer on whether or not to grease a the headset where it comes into contact with the steerer. In my case it's a carbon steerer. Apparently it can cause the carbon the delaminate/breakdown/expand.

AFAIK, it should have been calibrated in a factory. You'll want one that's fairly wide ranging from about 2nm up to say 30nm and beyond maybe (when you're getting up to those torques accuracy ain't really that important).

Yes, have lube but was reading a thread here the other day and it gave no conclusive answer on whether or not to grease a the headset where it comes into contact with the steerer. In my case it's a carbon steerer. Apparently it can cause the carbon the delaminate/breakdown/expand.
    I dunno. Where there's contact between moving parts I always use some lube. Surely there are some lubes out there which would not cause such problems with the materials' surfaces.

• Advertisement

Interesting thread there pprendeville. I'm toying with the idea of getting some Hong Fu carbon clinchers. Main stumbling block would be customs. Probably not really worth the gamble for unknown wheels if some hefty duties are lumped in on top of the initial cost though.

I had no probs with customs for mine from yishun who are one of the main Chinese carbon wheel retailers. And therefore a little bit pricier but not much. Haven't tried mine yet but they look the biz. Will pm u a few links.

Cheers pprendeville. If you have some photos of your wheels which you could send me or post here that'd be great. Your opinions on how you've found them once you've taken them out would be just dandy also.

Went with these beam style torque wrenches after much tooing and froing.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170585821099&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180502867875&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

They don't need to be calibrated on a yearly basis as do the click style ones and Park Tool make decent products or so I'm told so hopefully they work well. Found a good thread by Mr. Skeffington re what tools and stuff I need to build the bike and I have 90% of things needed. Have most of them from my time in engineering thank God so only a few items left to purchase. Contemplating getting teflon grease or just using the non-branded stuff I got in Finglas Auto up the road. Anyone recommend Teflon grease or does it make much odds?

Called HongFu last week and the bike is due to ship this week. Fingers crossed there are no delays as I'm diying to compete in a race before the season ends. When is the last open race in Leinster this year?

• Advertisement

bike shipped on Tues so hopefully have it late next week if I'm lucky. torque tools only shipped yesterday despite ordering on 8 Aug. majorly disappointed with that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

Bike in Portlaoise sorting centre as of 15:17 yesterday according to EMS tracking. Technically could have it this morning but that would be optimistic. More likely Friday if I'm lucky. Impressed with shipping transit time. Can't wait to be back on carbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

You should enter the National Hill Climb Championships - you'll surely have it built and fine tuned by then! Failing that, I look forward to accompanying you on one of the maiden voyages. If it speeds you up too much, I'm taking a hammer to it.

You should enter the National Hill Climb Championships - you'll surely have it built and fine tuned by then! Failing that, I look forward to accompanying you on one of the maiden voyages. If it speeds you up too much, I'm taking a hammer to it.

If that's the case I'm adding a knuckle buster/duster (never know which one it is) to my saddle bag.

Collected the bike today from Kilbarrack Sorting Office. Thank God for EMS. Updated tracking very well. All I cansay about the frame and parts is WOW. Savage so far. Weighing parts before putting together. can't wait to get her on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I think this needs more pics.

If you're anything like me with a new toy you'll be up all night building her.

You'll have no excuses when you have her on the road!

Pics of or lock this thread and GTFO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Pics of lock this thread and GTFO!!

Its not pics of a lock that I want to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

If pprendeville doesn't post pics soon I'm going to order all the exact same parts from his spreadsheet and build an identical bike so I can marvel at its glory.

• Advertisement

has no one ever heard of the saying "good things come to those who wait"?

pic as requested.

picture.php?albumid=1728&pictureid=10444

off to my dyslexia class now.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fgu2jqgulsbt-fAaIhTnKfQUXpzSdC-z4_yrZJXaSGI?feat=directlink :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Invisible to radar. Invest in a black skinsuit and no-one will see you in a sprint.

Doing the STI cable installation at the moment and using this video as a reference. Reminds me of something from Beond2000.

http://vimeo.com/8613681

picture.php?albumid=1829&pictureid=10452

Almost finished. Just need to put on bartape, trim cables, adjust saddle, torque screws and few other minor things. She's looking good I think. Was worth the wait. Weigning in at 7kg with a bog standard digital WW scales.

Made one cock up in that I cut the RD outer cable (green) with the steel cable inside when measuring the outer cable for size rendering that piece of Jagwire steel cable useless as it was then too short. Luckily I had Shimano cable that came with the groupset so not too bothered. Put some nail varnish on the top face of the steerer to protect it from rain penetration. Tip I picked up on some website. Nice subtle shade of pink.

If anyone spots any errors please let me know.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105171181803113268313/BikeBuild?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIHf_uj_r9386wE&feat=directlink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

nice build, looks great so far.
    A quick question.
    What size tyres are those on the pictures and have you noticed any clearance issues?
    On the mega ebay carbon tread on rbr there are a few post about 23s being tight and 25s non runners.
    just wondering what you managed to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Made one cock up in that I cut the RD outer cable (green) with the steel cable inside when measuring the outer cable for size rendering that piece of Jagwire steel cable useless as it was then too short.

LOL. I did that last week. Much swearing ensued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That looks sweet Phil. No shortage of adjustment on the fork anyway! :)

When's she going to turn pedal in anger? Dying to know how she rides.

Does it come with decals or you going to keep the B2 Bomber stealthy look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Lumen wrote: »
    Made one cock up in that I cut the RD outer cable (green) with the steel cable inside when measuring the outer cable for size rendering that piece of Jagwire steel cable useless as it was then too short.

I've also done that before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Looks great Phillip!! What size frame is it?

The handlebars look a little like they need to be rotated counter-clockwise just a "smidge" (when viewed from the drive side). Plus the shifters look a "smidge" too low on the bars.

Any graphics planned?

• Advertisement

b.harte wrote: »
    nice build, looks great so far.
    A quick question.
    What size tyres are those on the pictures and have you noticed any clearance issues?
    On the mega ebay carbon tread on rbr there are a few post about 23s being tight and 25s non runners.
    just wondering what you managed to fit.

Tires are Panracer 700x23. Plenty of clearance. See photos below.

I believe the mould was modified to increase clearance after the originl was very tight. Read on RBR once you can get a credit card (referring to clearance) in there it's enough clearance. Open to debate though.

Lumen wrote: »

I did very well to hold my tongue although I had to order my wife and 2 girls out of the room for 20 minutes until I calmed down. What harm it was the last cable. Doh.

fat bloke wrote: »
    That looks sweet Phil. No shortage of adjustment on the fork anyway! :)

When's she going to turn pedal in anger? Dying to know how she rides.

Does it come with decals or you going to keep the B2 Bomber stealthy look?

Playing it safe so left 30mm below the stem in case I want to take off some in th future. I think the combination of carbon sandwiched between anodized aluminium looks well. It actually fits me really well.

Took her for her first proper ride today out to Howth and back. Must say it's a sweet ride.

Think I'll justkep the stealth look as I like it that way.

Looks great Phillip!! What size frame is it?

The handlebars look a little like they need to be rotated counter-clockwise just a "smidge" (when viewed from the drive side). Plus the shifters look a "smidge" too low on the bars.

Any graphics planned?

54cm.

You're dead right about shifters. Feel a bit low alright so will adjust. Bars feel good but will see if they feel better with a few degrees of upshift.

Ok, so I took the new stead out to Howth and back today. Haven’t done much in about 6 weeks so the fitness is really down compared to start of July but still managed a respectable 8.17 so happy enough although I stopped for a 5 minute breather and a well earned plum (lovely ones in Lidl at the moment) across from The Summit.

On the way out on the flyover over the M50 there’s one rough section of road which I always dislike riding over as it makes my teeth chatter nearly but honest to God today I hardly noticed it the bike is that smooth. I’m not sure whether this is down to using carbon clinchers or whether it’s the frame or what but I’m not complaining. I stuck a latex tube in the front wheel (as I had no other one with a long enough valve) but I was told by LBS yesterday that I shouldn’t use them in carbon wheels as the heat built up when breaking can cause them to explode. Was confined to using back brakes as a result but didn’t mind. Maybe this added to the comfort factor?

Apart from being really smooth, the bike rolls really quickly I find and extremely smoothly. I was considering going for fancy BB bearings but stuck with the Ultegra ones and they really do feel smooth. I greased the interface down there really well and torqued everything very carefully. I love the BB area of the frame actually. It’s huge and when I got off the saddle it really did power forward and maintained speed when freewheeling so much better than any other bike I’ve ridden. I’d be a great believer in the fact that the engine is more important than the bike but by God this shifts my views on that subject.

I got a KMC chain as well which looks well and is really smooth. The shifting is absolutely bomb proof so far. Had a few issues originally in that it wasn’t shifting into the 4 big cassette sprockets but the cable wasn’t seated properly in the STI unit. Amazing what you learn from a bike build. I think the Look pedals go well with the bike although I rekon a lot of people wouldn’t go near yellow but it’s all about personal taste I suppose.

Overall I’m delighted I took le plunge on a Chinese frame. It was worth the wait (although would have been faster if I hadn’t originally asked for 3K weave – went for matte black as I was getting impatient). Shipping time was really good and I had all the parts so all I needed was time to put it together.

picture.php?albumid=1829&pictureid=10474

picture.php?albumid=1829&pictureid=10475

picture.php?albumid=1829&pictureid=10476

More images here. https://picasaweb.google.com/105171181803113268313/BikeBuild?authkey=Gv1sRgCIHf_uj_r9386wE#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

...the bike is that smooth. I’m not sure whether this is down to using carbon clinchers or whether it’s the frame or what but I’m not complaining.

FWIW my deep carbon clinchers ride more harshly than my shallow alloy clinchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's really sweet looking man.

Can we ask how much the bike stands you as is? :)

And if not, when are you planning to start taking orders for completed "Prenderville SLR's"? :D

Looks lovely pprendeville. Why did you skimp out on the bar tape though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Fantastic looking bike, and great to see you got on so well with the frame purchase and build. I'm tempted to follow your lead....

On a (very) minor point, why did you not stick with the black stealthy look and get a black crank, RD, FD etc (105 5700 or some such)?

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's really sweet looking man.

Can we ask how much the bike stands you as is? :)

And if not, when are you planning to start taking orders for completed "Prenderville SLR's"? :D

Considering building another one and selling it on. Like the exclusivity of my own but a man's gotta make a living.

picture.php?albumid=1829&pictureid=10506
    picture.php?albumid=1829&pictureid=10507

Looks lovely pprendeville. Why did you skimp out on the bar tape though?

just like the bare look/feel. leaves me with spare bar tape too - one full roll.

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Fantastic looking bike, and great to see you got on so well with the frame purchase and build. I'm tempted to follow your lead....

On a (very) minor point, why did you not stick with the black stealthy look and get a black crank, RD, FD etc (105 5700 or some such)?

Can't go wrong with a full Ultegra groupset for €599

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

What seatpost did you use,cost/weight??Thanks in advance.

What seatpost did you use,cost/weight??Thanks in advance.

Teardrop aero post to suit frame. MAde by hongfu. See parts list for suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Thanks pp,I read youre part list 3 times and I still dont see the seatpost on it,just the collar and collar screws.Im guessing the collar is the seat clamp??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭baldshaunieb

Don't often post comments, but have to in this case! The bike looks fab - i've been following the thread from the beginning and loved seeing the final build pics. I did the same a couple of years back, but ordered the wrong size frame, never felt comfortable as a result and sold it on. Seeing your complete bike has me thinking of dipping in again........NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thats one lovely looking bike, so hong fu seem to be pretty alright? any customs problems?

Thanks pp,I read youre part list 3 times and I still dont see the seatpost on it,just the collar and collar screws.Im guessing the collar is the seat clamp??

sorry your right. Forgot to put in seatpost in parts list. It comes free with frame. Yes collar is clamp.

Don't often post comments, but have to in this case! The bike looks fab - i've been following the thread from the beginning and loved seeing the final build pics. I did the same a couple of years back, but ordered the wrong size frame, never felt comfortable as a result and sold it on. Seeing your complete bike has me thinking of dipping in again........NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Best of luck with it.

Thanks Shaunie. I raced the bike today in Gorey. I Didnt last long as fitness is gone but it's a super fast bike (maybe down to carbon wheels) and it can turn on a six pence the handling is so good. Need to adjust my rear derailleur though as it was slipping in the mid range of the cassette roughly once every chain revolution which drives me mad. Not sure if my chain is too short though? Any comments?

thats one lovely looking bike, so hong fu seem to be pretty alright? any customs problems?

No probs with customs. The box wasn't even opened/inspected although they probably have some sort of x-ray device? Read in Metro last week they're going testing new x-ray technology which can see through clothes to the...ahem...more private regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

it was nice to chat to day, supper looking bike Phil its looks even better in the flesh

• Advertisement
Advertisement