Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of upgrading graphic - do I need to?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My gaming PC is about 3 years old at present; I can play all of my games quite well (medium-high settings on a 22" monitor), Fallout New Vegas, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Crysis were some of the recent games I've gone through. I'm currently starting on Mass Effect and I see some weird minor tearing in some cut scenes and am not sure is my GPU to blame or what; I also noticed the PC struggled with the Total War: Shogun 2 demo I played a few months ago, but I expected that.

Anyhow, my specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quadcore Q6700
    4GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 260 (896MB)

What needs to be upgraded to be ready to play Batman: Arkham City with medium-high settings, or should I still be good?

If I wanted to spend say €120 or so, what should I get? If I get a new GPU, can I get another 18 months of life out of the machine (in terms of playing games anyhow).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

€120 won't buy you much of anything. You'd have to sell off old components.

Assuming you managed to get €60-70 for your 260, you could get a 6950, which would be quite and improvement.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44148&agid=1004

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is the Q6700 overclocked? You could buy a cheapish heatsink (assuming you've got the Intel one) and get a bit more out of the CPU.

I don't know if it's still the case, but strategy games used to need good processing power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ionapaul wrote: »
    Anyhow, my specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quadcore Q6700
    4GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 260 (896MB)

What needs to be upgraded to be ready to play Batman: Arkham City with medium-high settings, or should I still be good?

If I wanted to spend say €120 or so, what should I get? If I get a new GPU, can I get another 18 months of life out of the machine (in terms of playing games anyhow).

You should be fine with what you are on the next while. I wouldn't upgrade the gfx card until you hit a game you can't play @ the settings you want.

If you upgrade the gfx card you will def get 12-18 months out of your pc easily. (a 6950 our similar in Nvidia would be as suggested by momotype, would be a good boost)

I'm currently on a Q6600 @ 3.0ghz with 4 gig ram and a radeon 6950 on a 22" monitor and the only game to give me any grief recently was the Witcher 2 (which I can still play @ high settings though not ultra!). Everything else will run @ fairly high settings even Metro ran @ respectable settings when I reinstalled it to benchmark the 6950.

A good upgrade in gfx card should tie you over nicely.

I personally won't be looking at a new CPU upgrade for another few months yet, Intel's new Ivy bridge chips will want to have been out for a few months before I jump over to one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah if you can save up a bit more for a 6950, thats what you should be looking at. Make sure your PSU is good enough, though if it can run a GTX 260 it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just gotta bump this again: I don't overclock my Q6700 (so it runs at stock 2.66ghz) and my heatsink isn't anything special. Will a new HD 6950 be bottlenecked by the CPU?

Haven't overclocked a CPU in a long time, but I'm guessing I can overclock it a bit anyhow, even without improved cooling, right?

If bottlenecking is a big issue, I should probably go for a lesser card instead, maybe a HD 6850 or a GTX 560? Any advice gratefully accepted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

This HD 6850 on Amazon seems like a good deal, with the free shipping and all. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Get 6870.

Great bang for your money. You wont need to upgrade your psu.

I don't think that putting anything higher then that is good.

I got q6600 with 3gb ram and now with 6870. It's defiantly bottlenecked by my processor, but still waaaaay better then 8800gt I had.

Witcher 2 on ultra with that ultra sampling ( or whatever it's called ) turned off. Wouldn't be far away of 60 fps. Metro 2033 On high settings dx11 very very smooth.

Advertisement