Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do regeneration kids live on your street?

• 29-07-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Why do regeneration parents feel their kids can do no wrong?

What is with the constant pyjamas?

anyone care to vent?

Comments

I'd like to hear the definition of a "regeneration kid". First i've heard of this term

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

shaaane wrote: »
    I'd like to hear the definition of a "regeneration kid". First i've heard of this term

I will try...

A kid spawned from an all day pyjama wearing blinkered uneducated mother who is barely understandable and refuses to conform to her current environment.

You either know what I am talking about or you haven’t had pleasure of this type of temporary neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

LOL

post reported

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

LOL

post reported

report away, unfortuantly experience rather than prejudice initiated the post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod note: I'm tentatively giving this thread a shelf-life of about 13 hours. 2 of those are already gone. Lay off the back-seat modding and the sarcastic replies, folks. I'm interested to see where this goes, and if my cynicism will be proven ill-placed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I'm in UL only but a few families have been moved into the area and quite a few times teens/early-mid 20's have start fights with students.I've luckily not come across it but my house mates once coming back from the former night club at the lodge were confronted with three fellas,one with a baseball bat and the other two with sticks.

Luckily a large gang of lads that one of my room mates knew came around the corner 2 mins later and they darted off.

One or two stores like that but not too many luckily.

I can understand the need for regeneration and having to re-locate the families for a period of time but there was obviously bad planning put into many of these decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

ya, those bandits flying around the place like erm....children.

They have a sense of humor though, last week my friend found a cat in the back seat of his easily openable (is tha a new word?) N Micra, there was this n that on the back seat, he cleaned it up. A day later he went into the car, there was more of this and that in the car. He checked under the pasanger seat and found a hedgehog.

man, I laughed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

shaaane wrote: »

Obviously they're like them borg fellers out of star trek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They might be regeneration families(County Council), they might be HSE families, the might be accord families, they might Thomond Housing, Cara, Respond and even more different companies(I'm sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Ahh the old pyjamas wearing kids and unpleasant parents who are more child like than the children they had ..

I just hope you realise that not every child and mother from regeneration areas are 'regeneration kids' as you so PCly put it. Lots of decent hard working respectable people in those areas too. Not everyone from regeneration areas are regeneration kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Ahh the old pyjamas wearing kids and unpleasant parents who are more child like than the children they had ..

I just hope you realise that not every child and mother from regeneration areas are 'regeneration kids' as you so PCly put it. Lots of decent hard working respectable people in those areas too. Not everyone from regeneration areas are regeneration kids.
    Yes but sadly it does not seem to be the ordinary hard working families who are being placed in estates all over Limerick. the scum are being given houses in decent areas ruining the lives of the people who are hard working decent people,I have seen this all over Caherdavin where I live and the whole place is under siege from young thugs and their scummy parents/parent.
    Many of them don't last long but are replaced by the same type of antisocial families,not fair on the ones who are paying big mortages and chose these areas for the peace and quiet which is now shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Yup, im in oakfield and there's a family 3 doors up. Hearing a girl aged less than 10 shout "ill stab you, four eyes" to a woman walking by says it all really.

Filth.

Frankly I'd wear a Pyjamas all day if I had:

Social Welfare / Illness / Disability / Carers
    Child Benefit
    House for €25 a week
    No new Government €100 P/A Tax
    Free Furniture
    Free Bedding
    Free Paint
    Free Pots, Pans Cutlery
    Free Electrical items
    Medical Card (Likely)
    Free Attic Insulation
    Free Gas Installation

Moved into a new area whilst the suckers build me a new house someplace else.

Work. That's for suckers who have houses costing €200 a week. Pyjamas. Heck I'd never get dressed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Thats cause those kids that are wearing Pyjamas, are now parents themselves! Grandmothers by the age of 20! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beer Baron wrote: »

Child Benefit
    House for €25 a week
    Free Furniture
    Free Bedding
    Free Paint
    Free Pots, Pans Cutlery
    Free Electrical items
    Medical Card (Likely)
    Free Attic Insulation
    Free Gas Installation

Work. That's for suckers who have houses costing €200 a week. Pyjamas. Heck I'd never get dressed. :D

Something seriously wrong with this country! I think I will use this the next time a politician comes to the door looking for a vote

Mc Love wrote: »
    Something seriously wrong with this country! I think I will use this the next time a politician comes to the door looking for a vote

Did you see the EU/IMF demands for the December Budget.

Fuel Prices up / Carbon Tax
    Lower cut offs on Tax bands
    Property Tax

More reason to become housed socially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sure if we all decided to do that the govt wouldnt be able to fund us

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sure if we all decided to do that the govt wouldnt be able to fund us

That is true but bear in mind this city and county had a high level of unemployment long before the recession. Voluntary unemployment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

We had - 2 brothers under 10, Family seemed grand and the Kids were a howl and great with all the other Kids on the road - Permanently out building things and thinking up the next epic game, reminded me of growing up in the 80's.

- They deserved their chance of growing up well away from the many anti-social and miserable elements that I'm guessing they had in their enviornment beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

xi wrote: »
    I will try...

A kid spawned from an all day pyjama wearing blinkered uneducated mother who is barely understandable and refuses to conform to her current environment.

You either know what I am talking about or you haven’t had pleasure of this type of temporary neighbour.

that would be more than likely a person on rent allowance. regeneration is a permanent move. You need to speak to your neighbors about this - the people who rented them the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Child Benefit
    House for €25 a week
    Free Furniture
    Free Bedding
    Free Paint
    Free Pots, Pans Cutlery
    Free Electrical items
    Medical Card (Likely)
    Free Attic Insulation
    Free Gas Installation

I think the 25euro is a bit of an exaggeration. I know someone renting a council house - single person with child paying 55euro pw. That said, this figure is low but their income also is low.
    Do you really get Free Attic Insulation?

Do you really get Free Attic Insulation?

The Majority would get it as most properties in the city are pretty old. 4 people I know got it and one of their houses is actually only 6 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I think the 25euro is a bit of an exaggeration. I know someone renting a council house - single person with child paying 55euro pw. That said, this figure is low but their income also is low.

€25 is certainly not an exaggeration. I know a lone parent with one child renting a nice 3 bed house in Corbally. Rent is €650 p/mth and she contributes €20 p/wk towards that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Child Benefit
    House for €25 a week
    Free Furniture
    Free Bedding
    Free Paint
    Free Pots, Pans Cutlery
    Free Electrical items
    Medical Card (Likely)
    Free Attic Insulation
    Free Gas Installation
    You forgot the €15 per week for having a dog licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'll be the bad guy here and simply state that it's not fair for anyone who has worked hard with saving and working to finally be approved for their mortgage in an area only to have people move next door to them who, regardless of social status; become a nightmare for that person and the only realistic alternative is for people to cut their losses and somehow move away from the area.

Be it Council/HSE tenants or people renting or buying privately. It's wrong. The least the Government could do is evict the trouble makers who have the privilege of renting a home for very little. Residents should be entitled to complain and have action taken against those who ruin the enjoyment of their property and social lives. Again that should apply to those renting privately too.

Those nuisance neighbours who own the house however; the laws regarding civil action for distress caused on neighbours should be improved/enforced.

Sadly..I see none of it happening and I doubt I ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

The bad guy? The speaking common sense guy more like. You are 100% correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I know of an estate that wasn't built that long ago about four years ago I would say, nice estate in a nice area, houses were going for upwards of €300, the a certain family moved in, the parents, their their three grown up children, their partners and all their kids into four different houses. That day 13 families vacated their homes and now the only houses that have maintained their value are the ones which are farthest away from the houses these people live in. The ones which are closer are now going for just €60k-€70k. I feel really sorry for the people who bought their homes and didn't leave because now they have a house that is worth nothing compared to before this family moved in. Also I don't understand why landlords allow these sort of people to move in, I know that most of them don't care as long as they are getting their rent, but it's actually fairly stupid in the long run because they are driving down the value of the house and other properties in the area. I wonder could someone sue one of these landlords for driving down the value of their home by allowing such people to move in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Also I don't understand why landlords allow these sort of people to move in, I know that most of them don't care as long as they are getting their rent, but it's actually fairly stupid in the long run because they are driving down the value of the house and other properties in the area. I wonder could someone sue one of these landlords for driving down the value of their home by allowing such people to move in?
    I'm going to disagree there, having known a lot of landlords I can tell you that the PC brigade generally jump in followed by outcries of discrimination when "rent allowance tennants" are not wanted on the property.

Mostly a landlord will rent the house to the HSE and the HSE put whoever they see fit in the property. The landlord, in most cases, have little or no say.

I know two friends whom have HSE people in their houses. One of whom was being paid rent by the HSE for 3 months and the house was not even occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Also I don't understand why landlords allow these sort of people to move in, I know that most of them don't care as long as they are getting their rent, but it's actually fairly stupid in the long run because they are driving down the value of the house and other properties in the area. I wonder could someone sue one of these landlords for driving down the value of their home by allowing such people to move in?
    I'm going to disagree there, having known a lot of landlords I can tell you that the PC brigade generally jump in followed by outcries of discrimination when "rent allowance tennants" are not wanted on the property.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with. Rent allowance tennants, I know and am friends with many. I think it is unfair to hive all rent allowance tenants a bad name as the vast majority of them are normal people just trying to make ends meet. However if a tenant is antisocial then it is an entirely different story.

Advertisement