Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a food processor....

Options
  • 29-07-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Had some scrummy coleslaw this evening. The onion was a bit much, but i grated in some cheese and ahmahgawd twas good.

Trying to get tahini to make hummus, have found a possible source in another thread looking forward to that tomorrow.

Just wondering if anybody had any other amazing recipes using my new fave gadget?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Which one did you get?

We have the Kenwood Multipro 730, it has loads of attachments.

Instead of buying tahini, why not make if yourself? It's just toasted sesame seeds (ground in the spice grinder attachment) and Olive Oil mixed to a paste :)

We make lovely smoothies, have made coleslaw, shortcrust pastry is so easy in a Food Processor, and mine always comes out perfect from it.

Soups, meringues, cakes, fruit juice, some curries, I can't really remember what else has been made with it, but it comes out at least four or five times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Kenwood FP 582 :)

I've been hearing now from a few people on making my own tahini - didn't think of it, and I have the spice grinder :)

I'm looking forward to making a sponge cake, actually. Want to see if it really can be mixed/prepared in a few seconds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I have tried and tried but failed to make nice hummus!
    I bought tahini, but it just didn't taste right..
    Come back and let me know what exactly you put into it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

This cake below is amazing and it all goes into the food processor. Very easy and quick to make.

I tasted a cake rather like this in Italy years ago, served with a small glass of amaretto liqueur – divine. It is moist on the inside and has a lovely bite from the almonds and amaretti biscuits. It can be made in advance and will keep well for a week.

Serves 8-12

150g good dark chocolate (at least 55% cocoa solids, preferably 70%)
    50g amaretti biscuits
    100g flaked almonds, chopped
    175g caster sugar
    Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
    100g butter, cubed
    4 eggs, beaten
    Cocoa powder or icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
    Line the base of a 20cm-diameter springform tin with greaseproof paper and butter the sides.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water.

Place the amaretti biscuits, almonds, sugar and orange zest in a food processor, then whizz until the biscuits and almonds are almost finely ground – I like to leave them a bit gritty. Add the butter and eggs, whizz until blended, then add the melted chocolate and briefly whizz again until well combined.

Pour into the prepared tin and pop straight in the oven. Cook for 35 minutes until the cake is puffed and slightly cracked around the edges. Remove and leave to sit for 15 minutes before carefully transferring to a plate. The top is quite crisp, and cracks easily, so I dust it with lots of icing sugar or cocoa powder before serving, to hide any imperfections.

That recipe looks amazing, thanks :)

I've also been reading about the joys of making your own peanut butter. Gonna grab some roasted peanuts from Kilos (if they have 'em), and let rip :)

• Advertisement

silly wrote: »

Will do :)

That recipe looks amazing, thanks :)

I've also been reading about the joys of making your own peanut butter. Gonna grab some roasted peanuts from Kilos (if they have 'em), and let rip :)

Well, kilos is closed. Hypermarket to the rescue.

Homemade peanut butter is da bomb. I had to use some dry roasted peanuts in the mix, but that just made it taste better.

pb&j ftw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Experiment with the slicing discs - they can make prep really quick. I make beef stroganoff and can spend ages slicing a kg of closed cap mushrooms - 3 mins including cleaning with the magimix slicing disc!

Experiment with the slicing discs - they can make prep really quick. I make beef stroganoff and can spend ages slicing a kg of closed cap mushrooms - 3 mins including cleaning with the magimix slicing disc!

/agree

I was giggling to myself(1) making the coleslaw yesterday - less than 15 seconds total run time across the various veggies and the dressing. Would have been ten minutes plus some grated knuckles before :)

(1) yes I am easily amused

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

I have a magimix which only escapes occasionally from the cupboard. I use it to make pesto, pastry and breadcrumbs. I know I should use it more but the washing up just kills me!

• Advertisement

Hi,

OK, my Hummus came out brilliant. I used this recipe:

Hummus

I'm afraid I don't know that I matched the exact quantities, but very close. Except for the garlic. Garlic usage was heavy :) I got the Tahini from Spiceworld on the quay in Waterford, along with a massive tin of chickpeas.

It came out brilliant. Took out one little tubs worth, added some chilli oil to the rest. It was a little loose, I'll probably cut down on the liquid from the can of chickpeas.

Also, after maturing overnight in the fridge, it was even better.

This will be my goto party food bringalong, just make some, cut up some carots/cucumbers/peppers/celery into sticks, bring a good bottle of olive oil and a bowl, and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Here's my hummus recipe - I use my Magimix to make it. I have perfected it to my taste so now I like it better than any bought one.

INGREDIENTS

1 can chickpeas, drained (the cheapo Tesco ones are the best, something like 85 cents)
    1 large clove garlic, peeled
    2 tablespoons lemon juice (I use the bottled kind from Tesco)
    1 teaspoon tahini
    Good pinch of salt

2 tablespoons peanut oil
    Tiny bit of water

METHOD

- I add the first 5 ingredients to the processor (small bowl on mine), and whizz it lots, stopping and scraping down a few times until nicely pulped.
    - Then I add the peanut oil in through the feed tube, slowly, while it's whizzing away.
    - Finally, I add the water, also through the feed tube, slowly, while it's whizzing away. You can hear the consistency change from too dry to the right consistency - that's why the water isn't exact, it can change. Add it slowly, and have a little taste, then add more if you need it.

I make an amazing falafel recipe in my Magimix, and I bake them so they aren't greasy - they turn out perfect every time. I will post it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Quaalude,

When you have the opportunity would you post the falafel recipe, I am tinkering with my own at the minute and am looking for new ideas, I bake mine also..
    Recently started added sunflower seeds, (delish)
    tried your hummous this eve, but added chillis, was nice...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

cailineile wrote: »
    Quaalude,

When you have the opportunity would you post the falafel recipe, I am tinkering with my own at the minute and am looking for new ideas, I bake mine also..

Oops, forgot to post this!
    It's at home, I'll post it this evening.

Advertisement