Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog training classes

• 29-07-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dog training classes in Limerick, i.e. You and your dog go to basic obedience classes once a week. I would like to get rid of a few bad habits that my fella has and I'm kind of on a budget so can't really afford a private session with one of the dog trainers in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

There are dog training classes run in Monagea Community Centre, about 5 minutes from Newcastle West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

toothie wrote: »
    There are dog training classes run in Monagea Community Centre, about 5 minutes from Newcastle West.

Thanks toothie, any chance if a bit more info, a number and the name of the trainer would be great.

I'll try to get that info for you and post it tomorrow.

Hi again. I found this link for you. There's a phone number at the end of the page for more information.
    http://www.westlimerickview.com/monagea-events

Hi again. I found this link for you. There's a phone number at the end of the page for more information.
    http://www.westlimerickview.com/monagea-events
    Thanks toothie, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hi just be really careful and ask the trainer what methods they will be using and if its not positive re enforcement keep looking!
    I took my dog to puppy classes thinking I was doing the right thing, if only you knew how much I have spent on a behaviourist trying to fix the problems caused by his 'puppy classes' unfortunately i didnt know enough about things when I first brought him and thought if someone is advertising themselves as a trainer they must know what theyre doing.... couldnt of been more wrong

Hi just be really careful and ask the trainer what methods they will be using and if its not positive re enforcement keep looking!
    I took my dog to puppy classes thinking I was doing the right thing, if only you knew how much I have spent on a behaviourist trying to fix the problems caused by his 'puppy classes' unfortunately i didnt know enough about things when I first brought him and thought if someone is advertising themselves as a trainer they must know what theyre doing.... couldnt of been more wrong
    Thanks, have been looking at different types of training as part of my research into all this. I am now just trying to find classes are available in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tummytickles

Hey,
    I'm in the limerick area and have just gotten a 10 week old puppy. Was wondering if you did get training and if so where as I really want to trrain with this pup. Thanks :)

Hey,
    I'm in the limerick area and have just gotten a 10 week old puppy. Was wondering if you did get training and if so where as I really want to trrain with this pup. Thanks :)

Hey I wasn't able to find training classes back then, however recently I began going to the doggy day care in Ennis for the training classes, it's a reasonable distance from limerick and I find the prices good.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

Hi OP will you keep us (i.e. me!) updated, similar situation, want to iron out some issues but don't have much money to spend. Just doing basic stuff at home. Lucky though, she's got a good temp. Dog's an 11month old lab bitch.

• Advertisement

roseagra wrote: »
    Hi OP will you keep us (i.e. me!) updated, similar situation, want to iron out some issues but don't have much money to spend. Just doing basic stuff at home. Lucky though, she's got a good temp. Dog's an 11month old lab bitch.

Well I ended up doing both training classes and getting a behaviourist out to the house for a one of session, I am still doing the training classes at the moment, only started last week so can't really pass judgement, but I did find the behaviourist to be a great help, he was able to pin point exactly where we were going wrong and show me what to do, he is still a work in progress but I really feel it was worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

can I ask how much was the behaviourist? and where are you doing the classes

thanks!

roseagra wrote: »
    can I ask how much was the behaviourist? and where are you doing the classes

thanks!

The behaviourist was €100 as I live quite far from him he said he charges €80 for those in the city, price would probably vary from behaviourist to behaviourist, classes are also €100 and I am doing them in the doggy daycare in ennis.

Advertisement