Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help? Work-related stress > illness benefit cert/form

Options
  • 29-07-2011 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone here familiar with your GP putting "work related stress" on your cert and on the Social Welfare form for Illness Benefit, along with noting the physical illness?

What is the honest answer about work-related stress? It is not the NATURE of my work that is causing the work-related stress.

Since the nature of my work is not the cause, is the honest answer "no?"
    It's just that "work-related" implies otherwise.

I also have no idea what a "prescribed disease" is. Stress isn't a disease, but it can cause diseases or make them worse!

Mods:
    I'm not sure which forum this should be in, as it is directly related to work problems, but also to the Long Term Illness forum and also to the Benefits forum. Please feel free to move to Long term Illness if more appropriate (I'd appreciate the anonymity aspect).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think this might be better in State Benefits, as you seem to be asking about how this affects your benefits, rather than what your employer will do with this sick cert? I can move it, if so.

On the work side of things, you're exactly right: stress is not an illness or disease; it's a symptom of something else. An employer would actually be remiss in their duties if they got a sick note that just said "work related stress" and didn't investigate further. I don't know if it's the same for your social welfare benefit.

Anyhow, let me know if you'd like this moved to state benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers, Eoin.

I need to stick with an anonymous forum and I don't think the Benefits forum allows that?

My concern is filling in the form honestly, accurately, etc.
    I don't think I will have a problem with my benefits.

I'd hope that if SW illness benefits section views it differently, they will get back to me for more information. I don't want to appear to be evading anything.

You are spot on that an employer would actually be remiss in their duties etc. That is the problem: they are remiss.

I'll just go with answering No to those questions on the form unless someone has experience that would tell me to answer differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

illness benefit accept certs for work related stress, although stress itself is not an illness it can bring about other symptoms that would cause you not to be fit for work(both phisical and mental) inform your employer of what is causing your stress and they have a responsibility to remove the issue that is causing your stress as a duty of care to you .if they dont act they could be held responsible like any other work related injury. often stress is brought on by people in work bullying etc if this is the case gather info. thread carefully with work!

work have to accept a cert from a gp,they can ask you to go to a company doctor but it is your gp who is certifying you unfit to work and only go back when he says you are fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

i get the impression that this will turn out to be a work problem!

Advertisement