Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing wall ruptures

• 29-07-2011 6:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

One too strong closure of the door and the wall is cracked. Celtic tiger time construction all the way.

I'd like to fix it myself but have no knowledge about those things. What should I use to cover those holes? Where do I get it? How much doest it cost?

A friend of mine told me that it should be no more than 1 hour of work so I thought like instead of paying somebody I can do it myself and learn something new. :o

There are some pictures:
    http://imageshack.us/g/600/imag0137hr.jpg/

Thanks for help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is the plaster really flaky either side? It looks like something moved significantly when the door banged. See if the door frame seems properly attached to the metal stud beside it.

It doesn't look too bad to plaster up. If it's very deep I'd use some bonding to make up the gap then finish with some profin for a nice finish. Others would just use normal plaster on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

It got cracked on both sides of the wall but the frame seems to be alright. It's not deep at all. 2mm I'd say.

The wall color is white. I don't know if that should be painted after plastering or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

WooPeeA wrote: »
    It got cracked on both sides of the wall but the frame seems to be alright. It's not deep at all. 2mm I'd say.

The wall color is white. I don't know if that should be painted after plastering or not?

Use something like gyproc promix to finish the wall. If you've not used it before or done anything like this before then be prepared to make a bags of it and sand it down afterwards. It'll take a few goes to get right and probably a few coates. Make sure that behind the plaster you're repairing is solid otherwise it'll fall away again in no time.

And yes, you'll need to paint it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

How much would that cost if done by some professional?

Advertisement