Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathnure internet

Options
  • 29-07-2011 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone any idea of what internet is available in rathnure at the moment? Have eircom upgraded their lines yet??

Thanks
    DwaneD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dwaned wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone any idea of what internet is available in rathnure at the moment? Have eircom upgraded their lines yet??

Thanks
    DwaneD

According to Eircoms top man on The Last Word yesterday,they are not bothered investing in upgrading rural networks(no money to be made) and instead spending €100 million on fibre in urban areas where they can make some money.

Your best bet is Permanet-they have a mast in the area and provide an excellent service in the area,I've had them for about 3 years now with now problems.

http://www.permanet.ie/New/

For Eircom you can check what speed you'll get here http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

If you don't have a landline try your neighbours number to give you an idea what you'll get.

Don't bother with any dongles,they aren't proper broadband,they might seem cheaper but if they only work sporadically then it's money down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Hi zerks,

Thats such a crok!! Can't believe they won't invest anymore in the rural lines!!

Acording to the eircom site it is available but tbh I'll believe it when I see it.
    I think I was with permanet before, some other guy (can't remember his name) had it and sold it on to them... If it is them there service would have had to have improved a lot!! And what is it with all the usage limits???? Can't believe they are still doing that!

Sorry, rant over :)
    Thanks for the info, will try eircom and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Hi dwaned, I supply fixed wireless Internet to parts of Rathnure. If you're interested PM me.

PM sent arseagon :)

Just wondering if anything has changed in the area with internet suppliers. Been with Permanet for the last year and to be honest their service is rubbish. Anyone know of any new ip's?

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anything has changed in the area with internet suppliers. Been with Permanet for the last year and to be honest their service is rubbish. Anyone know of any new ip's?

Permanet have upgraded their service recently at no extra cost to customers,got a flyer in the door a while back,best to give them a buzz to get upgraded.

Because of your location you aren't going to get decent DSL broadband so the fixed wireless suppliers are your best bet.Aptus have launched their service in Co.Wexford recently.

Thanks Zerks, saw that Aptus are covering the area.. problem is they are all connecting to the antenna on white mountain and I'm just not sure they will offer anything better.. Ripple were offering 8mb until you ring and question them, then you might get 3mb!! I'm getting just under 1mb from permanet at the moment later in the night that drops to about 200k ...... they are charging me 44 euro a month for the privilege!!I had to take a business package in order for them to change the nat settings so I could play online games... Have been ringing them weekly for the last 3 months, I get a call back on average once a month and they just wont do anything!!! thats part of the reason I'm very reluctant to take another contract with a fixed wireless company.. but will probably have to :(

The joys of living in Ireland,touted as 'Silicon Valley of Europe'.More like the Rift Valley when it comes to broadband.

I used to have Permanet & never had a problem,switched to Vodafone @ Home & now getting 10.5MB/s downloads.Higher speed for less money swung it for me.

Absolutely disgraceful the standard of service available.. how do you find vodafone for service? 10GB seems very low for monthly usage, do you go over often?

Absolutely disgraceful the standard of service available.. how do you find vodafone for service? 10GB seems very low for monthly usage, do you go over often?

My d/l speed is 10.5 meg & my allowance is 150gig per month.I've never had a problem with them touch wood.
    Not sure about Rathnure,best to give them a buzz or check if your neighbours have DSL & what speed they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I know people using Aptus at the other side of the White Mountain and the signal is strong and internet instant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

why not just go with eircom :confused: if you can get it in ballywilliam and killanne it's definitly in rathnure. it's been available for the past 4 at least.

Thanks Zerk, might try them see what they say.
    @brian, tried eircom but they won't guarantee they can provide unless I take a contract with them first and then they'll test the line, spoke to a technician in kilanne one day, he recons I'm too far off the main road and won't work..
    @Zerks, how are you getting 150GB allowance?

I'm on Vodafone Max for €29.99 a month.I got the 150gig allowance as an add-on for an extra €4.99 per month.Doubt you'd be able to get it in your area as your line needs to be able to handle higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Anyone know what the most reliable line checker is out there? I am getting different results on different providers checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

permanet, 20-30 euro unlimited, and available in rathnure, have it myself no bother

I'm with permanet, have limits and speeds equivalent to dial up. Tech support have not answered the phone or called back in 6 weeks. Guess you are just lucky with them

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Dwane didn't think permanet service was that bad to be honest.. The best you can hope for with eircom is 6mb DSL as the exchange hasn't been upgraded to ADSL2+ but the actual speed you will see will depend on the distance from the exchange.. If you want to give me a shout regarding it please do but I can't guarantee to make miracles happen..

Advertisement