Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice and recommendations on retro-fitting a stove

• 29-07-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

I would like to fit a solid fuel boiler stove to heat both the room and some radiators. I'm looking for some preliminary advice and recommendations.

First off, some details: our house is a 2 story with a non-hipped roof. The room where the stove will be fitted is about 20 ft X 20 ft and is at the end of the house, so the flue will be going out through the gable end. There are about 20 rads in the house, but I think the most that I can probably heat will be about 10/12. The house is plumbed with a manifold system and is easily accessible to the boiler. So

1. Any stove recommendations? Most people I know seem to go for the Waterford Erin.

2. What kind of flue should I use? Any tips on what fitting to use to go through the wall?

3. How should I direct the water from the back boiler i.e. should I just heat the downstairs for example? Or heat all the rads from the stove and use the oil burner to bring the temp up?

4. Any ideas on some kind "fireplace" to build around the stove as a kind of feature? I don't want anything too big or elaborate but I don't just want it sitting on a step.

Advertisement