Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going abroad for a few days - should I inform bank?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm with Ulster Bank.

I'm going to a UK City next week for 4 days and will be using my debit card over there, mostly for just withdrawing money or paying for small things but I will be using the card to pay for the hotel, which is a larger purchase than I'd typically make.

I'm wondering should I inform Ulster Bank about this before I go? Purchases that aren't my usual spending pattern (i.e. in a different country) may get flagged as potentially fraudulent, whereas if they know I plan to be there, it mightn't be flagged?

If so, how should I inform them? Ring them? Go into the branch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Generally for the UK I never bother and have never had problems.

For further abroad I generally would contact them just to let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

No, that would be totally unneccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

But dont be surprised if they try to contact you due to "odd" purchases abroad. We alerted our bank when we visited Asia but despite letting them know they still put periodic blocks on the card which I then had to ring up to confirm the purchases. They call it fraud protection but it can be a little annoying. The price of fraud I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If you have a history of travel, dont bother.

If you dont normally move around, it may trigger their security procedures.

It wont hurt to tell them.

They are only trying to protect you (and themselves) from fraud.

I told them when I went to Riga last month and they thanked me, apparently this is a city that causes them a few problems.

The UK shouldnt be a problem, but hey, stop any possible hassle before it starts. Make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Thanks!

From this contact list for Ulster Bank, which one would be the best to call? http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/useful-phone-numbers.ashx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Call the number on the back of your card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Go in to or call your branch and get the international number that you might have to call if your ATM card stops working.

Apart from that I'd not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I remember when I first got my debit card from UB. I called. "Oh no, you don't need to let us know"

I've used it across 4 continents since, multiple times, without an issue.

Advertisement