Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy now, pay later for a website?

• 29-07-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been looking around at the amount of people who want to start a business but can't get funding or help. I know that a website is something that can bring in revenue, bookings, leads etc... as I've seen it happen on many occasions.

I am just wondering do you think new businesses would be interested in a "Get your website on-line now and pay in 4 months" type of arrangement? I think this is something that may be able to stimulate business for new businesses and my company down the line. Obviously the business ideas would have to be looked at and go through a risk assessment first. But is it something new businesses (or any other business) would be interested in?

I would love to hear people's opinions on this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Why not borrow the money from bank/credit union/family member/friend and pay for the website when it's done, rather than asking a designer to bankroll an idea that may or may not work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭scwazrh

This is actually something i have been looking for.

Currently I am tying to Market my business in a much more aggressive way , I have identified 4 key products/services that I want to Market individually.Each needs it's own website but i don't have the upfront cash to set up 4 new products.If your service was available it would solve my problem.

Obviously You would have some risk by doing the pay later route but if you retain control of the site until the last payment is received you would have full hold over the product.

@ thecommander - most small business are borrowing from the sources you named to stay afloat , borrowing for expansion is just not feasible for many small buz.

If you go ahead with it let me know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Why not borrow the money from bank/credit union/family member/friend and pay for the website when it's done, rather than asking a designer to bankroll an idea that may or may not work?

I think the OP is looking to offer the service not looking for it.

Not a bad idea. And not as risky for the OP as for other services provided on credit. Pretty sure if the client doesn't pay after 4 months the website would cease to function. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

smcgiff wrote: »
    Pretty sure if the client doesn't pay after 4 months the website would cease to function. :)

That's little consolation if you've put in all the work creating it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I imagine this would lead to a company setting up an 'off-the-shelf' website that just gets adapted for each company that wishes to buy into it.

I can't imagine that there would be any right-minded design company that would provide a company with a bespoke, fully functioning website for no initial outlay.

• Advertisement

Yep, which is why I don't think it's much benefit. If a business hasn't a couple of hundred euro to spend on a templated website, I'm not sure it ever will

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Same business plan as "Big Commerce" and it's worked well for them. Ofcourse the business ends up paying a huge multiple in the long run so it's not the easiest of sales.

Not really the same as SAAS though? - unless it's completely automated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I could imagine a lot of hassle and grief from business owners when it comes to payments time. If they can't see direct evidence of the website being of benefit to them they might be slow to pay up. And since most businesses put little to no effort in promoting themselves online, the chances of that happening are high.

Advertisement