Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin seems to have turned into a miserable hellhole

Options
  • 29-07-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

(Was told to post this here by a mod instead of after hours so hope it isnt construed as trolling :pac:)

Was in Dublin yesterday for the first time in a couple of years, must say I never had a great fondness for the capital but I never saw it in the light I saw it yesterday, has it really declined that much recently?

So many shops on the outskirts were closing down giving the city a real dilapidated look as you come into it, even in the middle of the city the pathways are becoming really unsightly. Several times I was walking along paths with holes or other obstructions on them, I was really surprised they'd be allowed to degrade into that condition.
    And litter, was everywhere. Piling up on the sides of streets, in every corner. Bins overflowing with nobody collecting them, had a really nasty look to it.

And the people while always down to a degree of luck on the day, the ones I saw were none too desirable. :pac:
    Took a seat on the Luas, too young guys in a tracksuit sat next to me a few stops down the line as they took their seat one passed a joint to the other. What they were talking about on the whole journey I wasn't quite sure, the North Dublin accent is that difficult to comprehend but I heard the mention "blood money" over and over. They were also nice enough at a stop where they saw a Gardai patrolling to open the window and start barking at him. Behind me was another woman who just got on, chatting to somebody beside her about her upcoming court appearance.
    As we got into the city I saw 4 old people (3 men and 1 woman) drinking wine outside a public building at whatever the stop previous to Jervis is. While walking down O'Connell street I saw some other guy stumbling down it with a can of dutch gold in his hand.
    On the trip I had the pleasure of being sat near 4 early 20's girls dressed from head to toe in adidas tracksuits talking about how they were "****ing up some bitch" that seemingly was disrespecting one of them.

It was ummm an experience to say the least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

....in the rare auld times.

At least the beggers didnt eat you...alive alive oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

OP town is for clothes, stag/hens do's, junkies and tourists.

I was in town on Wednesday. I had a lovely walk in, a great lunch, met some cool people and went home.

To each their own, opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Bit of advice, start looking up instead of looking down. Might feel better. But there's a definite change in Dublin all right. I've noticed a lot more "undesirables" around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Downlinz wrote: »
    Took a seat on the Luas, too young guys in a tracksuit sat next to me a few stops down the line as they took their seat one passed a joint to the other. What they were talking about on the whole journey I wasn't quite sure, the North Dublin accent is that difficult to comprehend but I heard the mention "blood money" over and over. They were also nice enough at a stop where they saw a Gardai patrolling to open the window and start barking at him.

you can't open the windows on the Luas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Go back to the country then.

You can leave the key in the door and go out to the shops, I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

stinkle wrote: »

Yes you can. They're like the new bus ones that they just bend out a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Yes you can, the top part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

(Was told to post this here by a mod instead of after hours so hope it isnt construed as trolling :pac:)

the North Dublin accent is that difficult to comprehend

As 99% of the Luas runs on the Southside, I doubt very much you'd know the difference between a north Dublin city accent and a Berlin accent,
    Go back to wherever you're from (I'm guessing Cork by the size of the chip on your shoulder) and wallow in your trollness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know it's not my business but what purpose do these threads serve? Especially on a Dublin City forum?

For what it's worth, I'm 40 and don't think Dublin has changed that significantly in terms of violence, anti-social baheviour, junkies etc since I was a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yes you can. They're like the new bus ones that they just bend out a wee bit.
    Yes you can, the top part.

since when? the extension? one of the benefits of using it over buses was that you didnt have the stupid puddles of rain or angry middle aged men invading your personal space opening every single window if its a tiny bit warm out :(

anyway, on topic - if you will insist on travelling the length of the Red Line OP and not venturing further than O'Connell St, then all you'll see is anti-social goings-on. Dublin isn't just the culchie shuttle bit between Connolly/Busáras and Heuston. It doesn't help that a lot of methadone clinics are in that general area, and I wouldn't be too surprised to hear talk of court cases near eh, the Four Courts and Criminal Courts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

I think the OP is just seeing the Dublin that most of us know exists but have learned to ignore. It is shocking for people who aren't used to it and it should be unacceptable for some reason, it's what we live with and are blind to it.

I assume the Luas you were on was the Red line which seems to attract it's fair share of undesirables and would make your perception of the city worse than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was in town on Monday afternoon,had a lovely burrito sitting outside Pablo Picante on Clarendon Street,then went for a few pints in Neary's off Grafton Street with some friends,then to the bar in Trinity for some cheap drink and then off up to Whelan's to end the night.

Didn't have any bother/unpleasantness whatsoever,if you go into any place with notions in your head that it's not nice then it's very easy to find flaws.So you sat beside some eejits on the Luas and didn't enjoy the experience,fair enough,but it doesn't make Dublin a 'miserable hellhole'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

a can of dutch gold? the mad Bas***d.....I tell ya joe it's a disgrace...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

North Dublin accent

What the fluck is a North Dublin accent? Did I miss something? Is everywhere in south Dublin suddenly ever so posh?

I guess no one told the people of Tallaght, Clondalkin, Crumlin, Drimnagh and the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

stovelid wrote: »
    I know it's not my business but what purpose do these threads serve? Especially on a Dublin City forum?

For what it's worth, I'm 40 and don't think Dublin has changed that significantly in terms of violence, anti-social baheviour, junkies etc since I was a teenager.

Of course it's your business, it's everybodies business, it's a public forum. I fully agree with you too, the city is no worse now than 20-30 years ago except it's a lot cleaner and tidier now. I work in the city and am constantly hearing tourists comment on how clean Dublin is compared to other European cities they've been to.
    I think OP is a troll and we all know, YOU DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Higgzy

Troll or not I agree with the man that started this thread. I've been away on holidays for 3 weeks and got back last week. When I was out last weekend it felt as if I was looking at the city through fresh eyes. Saturday night in town is a mess. I don't know if it's me but there appears to be an increase in the percentage of drunken men in clubs and the women are completely stuck up. It is just not the same in London or in other European cities I visited. People are far easier to chat to, and chat up! Definitely not spending the summer in Dublin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

markpb wrote: »
    I think the OP is just seeing the Dublin that most of us know exists but have learned to ignore.
    Its called "a city".

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

stovelid wrote: »

Your right It was a sh%thole then and its a sh%thole now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

poolboy wrote: »
    a whathole now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Higgzy wrote: »
    ...the women are completely stuck up. It is just not the same in London or in other European cities I visited. People are far easier to chat to, and chat up! Definitely not spending the summer in Dublin again.

Failed to score and you're blaming it on Dublin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

, must say I never had a great fondness for the capital

So you arrived with a negative attitude. Not a good idea when visiting anywhere.
    , pathways are becoming really unsightly

Stupid thing to say, an silly invalid complaint, what did you expect, paths of gold or are you one of those people looking for a claim where ever they go? By the way, don't go to temple bar, the cobbles will kill you.
    And litter, was everywhere. Piling up on the sides of streets, in every corner.

Bullsheet. It's not, we have had this before, photos been taken, very very little rubbish in the city.
    the North Dublin accent is that difficult to comprehend

Complaining about Dublin accents in Dublin?
    Behind me was another woman who just got on, chatting to somebody beside her about her upcoming court appearance

So what? I was in court a few months ago. Have you never met someone that has been in court?
    As we got into the city I saw 4 old people (3 men and 1 woman) drinking wine outside a public building at whatever the stop previous to Jervis is.

Public drinking only happens in Dublin now?
    dressed from head to toe in adidas tracksuits

Listen Gok Wan, I can see from your other posts you are somewhat sheltered and innocent. You are better off embracing a place rather than fearing it. Dublin is one of the safest, cleanest and friendliest cities in the world. Anecdotes and basically making up stories to bolster your fear of the unknown is immature and you will always get caught out (obviously) as you can see from above.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Troll or not I agree with the man that started this thread. I've been away on holidays for 3 weeks and got back last week. When I was out last weekend it felt as if I was looking at the city through fresh eyes. Saturday night in town is a mess. I don't know if it's me but there appears to be an increase in the percentage of drunken men in clubs and the women are completely stuck up. It is just not the same in London or in other European cities I visited. People are far easier to chat to, and chat up! Definitely not spending the summer in Dublin again.

Wow. Having lived in both cities, I would seriously disagree with this. London is full of stuck up people, it's a lot easier to go out in Dublin and people are generally more laid back and fun on nights out. London is also filthy compared to Dublin, particularly when you get a little bit outside the touristy areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

On the trip I had the pleasure of being sat near 4 early 20's girls dressed from head to toe in adidas tracksuits talking about how they were "****ing up some bitch" that seemingly was disrespecting one of them.

Sure you did....hows exactly was they disrespectin' her? Mebbe them fools done took some o her crack pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Marsden wrote: »
    What the fluck is a North Dublin accent?
    It's a scumbag accent.
    I'm not saying all north siders are scumbags I'm just informing you what someone means when they use north side accent in that context.

Riding the red line is like going to the zoo except without the safety of the cages. Avoid it if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Liffey is a lot cleaner then it once was but it's not so pleasant at low tide

I've often wondered why it doesn't have a weir in the city centre like they do in Belfast :)
    Something they've talked about for years but nobody seems bothered.

It's not even a big project, the Lagan is far wider then the Liffey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

I think you will find that you can open windows on the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Was in Dublin yesterday for the first time in a couple of years, must say I never had a great fondness for the capital but I never saw it in the light I saw it yesterday, has it really declined that much recently?

So many shops on the outskirts were closing down giving the city a real dilapidated look as you come into it, even in the middle of the city the pathways are becoming really unsightly. Several times I was walking along paths with holes or other obstructions on them, I was really surprised they'd be allowed to degrade into that condition.
    And litter, was everywhere. Piling up on the sides of streets, in every corner. Bins overflowing with nobody collecting them, had a really nasty look to it.

And the people while always down to a degree of luck on the day, the ones I saw were none too desirable. :pac:
    Took a seat on the Luas, too young guys in a tracksuit sat next to me a few stops down the line as they took their seat one passed a joint to the other. What they were talking about on the whole journey I wasn't quite sure, the North Dublin accent is that difficult to comprehend but I heard the mention "blood money" over and over. They were also nice enough at a stop where they saw a Gardai patrolling to open the window and start barking at him. Behind me was another woman who just got on, chatting to somebody beside her about her upcoming court appearance.
    As we got into the city I saw 4 old people (3 men and 1 woman) drinking wine outside a public building at whatever the stop previous to Jervis is. While walking down O'Connell street I saw some other guy stumbling down it with a can of dutch gold in his hand.

Don't drop so much acid before you go into town, it can turn into a scary place if the fear takes hold

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

poolboy wrote: »

What interests me about that comments is that since that poster was a teenager(mid 1980s I think?) Dublin hasn't notably improved:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

what did ya come home for....next time stay away..,London or whatever other city you were in will benefit from you.I was born in Dublin and brought up ..I love the city,always did..you base your impression on one Saturday night ? Dublin is down on its luck now,like the rest of the country, but try looking up away from the gutter and you might be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Will you be back up on the 8th of December ? or will you spending local ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement