Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax problem with Gilera DNA 50 Help Please!

• 29-07-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I bought my DNA 50 just over a year ago and now the tax is out on the bike and I remember when I got it the seller told me they would post me up the tax book andf so on. To be honest i never even thought about it till now because I need it. Does anyone know can I get a new tax book or is the seller obliged to supply it?
    Help would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

The seller should have sent it into the department of transport in Shannon and they post you a new log book. I think you can get a deceleration of ownership form at a garda station, it needs to be signed by a guard and commissioner of oaths(they will charge a small fee), then sent off to Shannon and they will post out a new tax book.

Simple :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dotzy

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    The seller should have sent it into the department of transport in Shannon and they post you a new log book. I think you can get a deceleration of ownership form at a garda station, it needs to be signed by a guard and commissioner of oaths(they will charge a small fee), then sent off to Shannon and they will post out a new tax book.

Simple :eek:

So can I just do all that or do I need anything from the seller first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

dotzy wrote: »

Previous advice is wrong, the seller needs to send off the form to shannon to transfer the ownership to you. If they have lost it they will need to apply for a new one and then send it off to shannon. Legally they could demand the bike back and you could do nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

dotzy wrote: »

Don't think so the guard is supposed to check the bike is not reported stolen.

I would ring the department of transport and find out if the seller sent off the logbook and the bike is in your name. If it is they might be able to send you a duplicate. If not they will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to get the bike in your name.

It might be worth your while contacting the seller and ask if they still have the log book, if you can.
    professore wrote: »
    Previous advice is wrong, the seller needs to send off the form to shannon to transfer the ownership to you. If they have lost it they will need to apply for a new one and then send it off to shannon. Legally they could demand the bike back and you could do nothing about it.
    What if you cant contact the original seller? Legally it is the sellers responsibility to send off the form. If you have a receipt or proof you bought the bike and your signature is on the form the seller is refusing to send in then i doubt they could get the bike back so easily and they would risk being prosecuted for not sending the change of owner form in.
    Buyer/Seller Unknown

For vehicles registered after 01/01/1993

New owner get affidavit completed & sends the form to Shannon directly themselves or take the completed affidavit into the Motor Tax Office who will forward the form to Shannon (there is no necessity for an RF134 form to be completed nor is there a fee involved). Shannon will then update the Computer System with the new owners details and a new Vehicle Registration Certificate will issue to the new owner.
    from http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/informationpoints/roadusers/changevehicleownership.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

professore wrote: »

EvilMonkey's advice was correct, my brother had the same problem with a car he bought recently- although the seller said he couldnt find the log book at time off sale and after about 4 weeks of waiting and calls and texts being ignored he had to apply for it himself.

Change of ownership - Person purchases vehicle, previous owner has lost VLC/VRC or person cannot locate previous owner.
    For vehicles registered after 01/01/1993

New owner get affidavit completed & sends the form to Shannon directly themselves or take the completed affidavit into the Motor Tax Office who will forward the form to Shannon (there is no necessity for an RF134 form to be completed nor is there a fee involved). Shannon will then update the Computer System with the new owners details and a new Vehicle Registration Certificate will issue to the new owner.

Affidavit forms can be obtained at any of the Motor Taxation Area offices and should be signed in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths/Practicing Solicitor.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/informationpoints/roadusers/changevehicleownership.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Whoops, while i was editing my post (twice) EvilMonkey got in before me, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dotzy

Thanks guys, thankfully when I was buying it, because he didn't have the paperwork I got him to hand write a letter saying that he had sold the bike to me and he signed it too.

Advertisement