Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conveting Attic to Room in Duplex

Options
  • 29-07-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I'm currently living in a ground floor appartment under a duplex. The owner of one of the duplexs on a neighbouring block is currently in the process of converting the attic into an extra room(including window in the roof). To the best of my knowledge this is against the 'rules' of owning one of the duplexs as the attic space is not owned by them. This is the first attic conversion to take place but I can imagine other owners doing the same if the owner is allowed to do this. So my questions.....

1. If the owner of the duplex above me was to do the same would this affect the value of my property? In my eyes I think it would certainly affect my ability to sell if the property above is three floors rather then two.

2. The insurance is paid via the management fees. Would the block insurance be now invalid with this conversion taking place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Check with your management agent if they have been granted permission by the management company to do this. It's a lease condition in every duplex I've heard of that you can't convert the attic without the express consent of the mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lister1 wrote: »
    1. If the owner of the duplex above me was to do the same would this affect the value of my property? In my eyes I think it would certainly affect my ability to sell if the property above is three floors rather then two.

2. The insurance is paid via the management fees. Would the block insurance be now invalid with this conversion taking place?

Your claim that the attic isn't owned by him, well, in actual fact, he doesn't own his unit either. He only has a 999 year lease to it. He would have exclusive use/access to the attic space though.

As long as there are no planning requirements (there actually may be), and the management company approve, then he should be fine.

I don't see how it would devalue your property, and it shouldn't increase the block insurance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This typically requires management company approval because in order to do an attic conversion, joists and such may have to be moved, removed or otherwise modified. This is a change to the fundamental structure of the building, which leaseholders are not permitted to do without management company approval, just like removing an internal wall.
    Putting in skylights may also require general planning permission.

I don't think it's correct to say that the attic space isn't owned by the duplex, however in the case where attics aren't split by a wall, I think these are owned by the whole block.

It wouldn't affect the value of your house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You only need planning permission for skylights on the front (and maybe side) of the roofed area.

Can't see how it would affect the value of your property, OP. Though it would certainly affect the value of the property above you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Dades wrote: »
    You only need planning permission for skylights on the front (and maybe side) of the roofed area.

Can't see how it would affect the value of your property, OP. Though it would certainly affect the value of the property above you.

A breach of Planning Law anywhere in a development would have implications for all units. The management Company wo9uld be in breach and this would affect the title of every leaseholder. No bank would lend on any unit if there were planning issues in a development.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ FWIW - I meant assuming the proposed conversion got management permission and needed no planning permission I see no value issues for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wonderwoman2

Lister1, did you talk to the management company, if so what did they say?

In Dublin where I also live in a duplex, a neighbor that my husband knows close by put down a bit of flooring for storage, christmas decorations, luggage etc and put in a small roof window in their duplex just for light. I must find out if they needed permission for it.

Maybe your neighbor is just using it for storage, can you see that they are converting it? I would think windows might go in first before any real work could take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Lister1, did you talk to the management company, if so what did they say?

Yep, I informed the Management Company and they were pretty shocked that this was happening. Im not sure what they plan on doing but I assume they will contact the owner and ask him to reverse the work.

The window is a decent size so altough I cant be 100% sure that the attic was being converted into living space it would appear to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wonderwoman2

Lister1 wrote: »
    pretty shocked

I am sure management companies come across all sorts of things, Sure if the owner puts the roof back to original condition, sure no harm done.

I would be interested to see if they had to take the window back out as my husband had similar ideas after seeing our neighbors roof window!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I would be interested to see if they had to take the window back out as my husband had similar ideas after seeing our neighbors roof window!

Roof has been returned to its original state. Probably an easy enough job for them as they didnt have it fully installed when management company were informed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement