Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you secure a training contract with 2:2 degree?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Antheia

OP I'm very surprised to hear the leaving cert could be such an issue.

Does anyone think a person with a 1.1 could lose out on jobs due to having an average leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Training contract wages LOL. When we started in 1996 the firm offered us €4600 Per annum.:rolleyes: Unreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

got offered the job anyway lads in the small firm.

I'm definately taking it anyway. I'd be sick if I passed on the opportunity, gambled on the milkrounds and ended up with nothing!

Just hope to god I won't have trouble in a couple of years when I move into industry and DONT have "Top 4 experiance"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

QueenV wrote: »
    Hi all

A mate of mine graduated with a 2:2 degree in commerce last year.Due to personal family issues she lost focus along the way and had to basically support herself through college and that badly affected her grades etc

It's been a year and she still hasn't managed to secure a training contract with any small medium size firm. She has no chance with the Big Four cos they're very stringent when it comes to grades and min requirements.

She wants to start off in practice and then move onto the industry once she's qualified.Has registered with the institute for CAP 2s which is self funded.

Has rang through to most HR personnel to discuss her circumstances and they're quite ruthless most of the time.Has applied to various firms and was rejected on numerous occasions.There's nothing wrong with her CV as it had been reviewed by professionals.So imo its her grade that is the problem.

She's really down in the dumps atm and feels like a failure when compared to all of our mates.She's really sound lovely girl who just wants to succeed in life.

So my question is that how hard is it to secure a training contract in this climate and is she really doomed?

Thoughts??

Thank you

I did the milkrounds in October 2001 - all the firms were cutting back due to 9/11 so was competitive enough, though maybe not as much as it is now.

I was on a 2.2 BComm and not only got interviews with all big4 but offered a training contract in each one. The reason for this was practical experience - I had worked in a small firm for summers, doing accounts prep etc.

IMO it's not just the 2.2 holding her back, could be the application forms etc and something else.

She should try to get some practical experience, even work for free to gain it.

A 2.2 will not stop her getting a training contract in the big4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 r.dunne7

maninblack wrote: »
    got offered the job anyway lads in the small firm.

I'm definately taking it anyway. I'd be sick if I passed on the opportunity, gambled on the milkrounds and ended up with nothing!

Just hope to god I won't have trouble in a couple of years when I move into industry and DONT have "Top 4 experiance"

Hi

Why ondt you try and work in this company but not sign a contract and get 6 months experince while you apply for the milkround! This will put you in a good postion!

• Advertisement
Advertisement