Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert subject choices

• 29-07-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi! im after doing my junior cert and now im going straight into fifth year. im planning to do chemistry,physics,biology and DCG all higher level.I have some interest however in doing medicine after school which requires a third language.I only need to pass the ordinary level german paper and im expecting an A in the higher level junior cert.I was planning to not do lcvp and do 1 class of german instead a week.Wolud 1 class a week be enough to get me a pass in the ordinary level german paper?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

... Well I stumbled onto the wrong thread it seems... Ignoring the erect penis above, I would suggest if you're an A student in German at the moment why don't you just do higher level properly. Languages are a useful lifeskill and if you're good at it and you need it then why not?
    Then you would be doing 8 HL subjects which is what I did but it can be a bit much for people. But how about doing ordinary Irish instead and higher German? Hows your Irish? It's quite a boring subject for most people and the majority do ordinary, I liked it though..
    Antsy that's just my two cents, but I get the feeling forbyour post that maybe you can't do German for timetable reasons or something.. I would one class a week probably isnt enough though I didn't do German or an ordinary level language so I wouldn't know really

Edit: oh yeah and are any mods going to do anything about that penis situation... I haven read all the rules and stuff but I assume it's against at least one of them.. Plus what about the children? Will somebody please think about the children? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

BTDOD95 wrote: »
    hi! im after doing my junior cert and now im going straight into fifth year. im planning to do chemistry,physics,biology and DCG all higher level.I have some interest however in doing medicine after school which requires a third language.I only need to pass the ordinary level german paper and im expecting an A in the higher level junior cert.I was planning to not do lcvp and do 1 class of german instead a week.Wolud 1 class a week be enough to get me a pass in the ordinary level german paper?

I didn't do German and all my friends who did German did higher level but the afaik the ordinary course (oral wise) is the same and it's an awful lot of work (projects and picture sequences to be learned). You would need to dedicate a lot of your own time to do well in German as 1 class a week really isn't suffice for any subject.

Maybe do German instead of DCG?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

Unless you really like it....stay away from DCG. It takes up a large amount of time and with 8 subjects thats not good not to mention the huge project aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you're expecting an A in HL JC German, why would you do ordinary level in Leaving Cert? :confused: Does not compute...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BTDOD95

I dont really like german and anyways to do german as one of my seven subjects I would have to drop physics which I really dont want to do.How much work would I have to do myself along with the class a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I took up OL French late on in 6th year outside school, you'll easily be able to do OL German on 1 class per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I dont really like german and anyways to do german as one of my seven subjects I would have to drop physics which I really dont want to do.How much work would I have to do myself along with the class a week?
    Hmm, that's odd, usually the school wouldn't timetable for students not doing a 3rd language (as it's an unusual scenario).

But I guess if you're at an A for HL JC German then OL LC German wouldn't be too much harder tbh, if you're only looking to pass it. You'd need a bit of practise for the oral and keep your German at the same standard it is now (A grade at JC HL) for the two years - don't neglect it completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

I dont think cutting yourself off from german is a good idea. What happens if this time next year you decide you'd like to pursue a course where you need HC3 in a language to get in?

I'm sure you're very focused but you really don't know where your mind will be in a years time, medicine might be a good idea now but you might have no interest after doing some work experience or after researching another career path.

I wanted to pursue medicine after junior cert but now I'm hoping to do a science degree to give me more options. Drop physics and do german. It will be more beneficial to you if you decide to change your career path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If you're only going into fifth year and not 100% sure of what you want to do, I'd say keep all your options open with one language and maybe drop one of the sciences, or DCG. All the NUI's require a third language so you're restricting yourself to only certain colleges if you don't do one, and you may find in a year or so that the course you want is only offered in an NUI.

The idea is to do the subjects which you think you can do the best in points-wise, while keeping in mind the entry requirements of your college and course. What does German clash with on your timetable? Do you think you could do well in it in points if you took it at honours?

I am definite I want to do either a science ,engineering,maths or medicine degree so higher german wont be neccessary and anyways I dont see myself scoring high points in it, I could do much better in physics,nui's dont need a third language for science,engineering or maths degrees so I dont see the point of doing higher level german.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I am definite I want to do either a science ,engineering,maths or medicine degree so higher german wont be neccessary and anyways I dont see myself scoring high points in it, I could do much better in physics,nui's dont need a third language for science,engineering or maths degrees so I dont see the point of doing higher level german.

Well fair enough if you can do better in physics :) Just to keep in mind, medicine needs a third language in every uni apart from Trinity. Also from looking at this section in Qualifax, there are some maths and science courses that need a third language.

As regards your original question, I didn't study German so I can't help you with that, however 1 hour per week for any subject doesn't sound like an awful lot. Does German clash with LCVP so that you can definitely sit in that class?

Don't take any offence to this but you've just completed your junior cert you're 15 maybe 16 years of age absolutely nothing is definite. You havn't began the senior cycle course so you won't be entirely sure what you're up against for a few months and you might change your mind a million times in the next year. What you think you want now could be entirely different when you sit your leaving cert. Untill you've done work experience, researched each and every course you might be interested in (including course structure, length, career prospects etc) and explored some different avenues you really can't guarantee yourself 100% that you know what you want to do.

Well fair enough if you can do better in physics :) Just to keep in mind, medicine needs a third language in every uni apart from Trinity. Also from looking at this section in Qualifax, there are some maths and science courses that need a third language.

As regards your original question, I didn't study German so I can't help you with that, however 1 hour per week for any subject doesn't sound like an awful lot. Does German clash with LCVP so that you can definitely sit in that class?

My german teacher agreed to give me 1 on1 classes when the lcvp class is on so I can definitely do the one class a week

Don't take any offence to this but you've just completed your junior cert you're 15 maybe 16 years of age absolutely nothing is definite. You havn't began the senior cycle course so you won't be entirely sure what you're up against for a few months and you might change your mind a million times in the next year. What you think you want now could be entirely different when you sit your leaving cert. Untill you've done work experience, researched each and every course you might be interested in (including course structure, length, career prospects etc) and explored some different avenues you really can't guarantee yourself 100% that you know what you want to do.

I want to do the german as an extra subject so I can keep my options open as well and most courses that do require a third language only require a pass at OL.I believe Im keeping my options open by doing the german extra

I want to do the german as an extra subject so I can keep my options open as well and most courses that do require a third language only require a pass at OL.I believe Im keeping my options open by doing the german extra
    What about a course such as business with german or law with german. European studies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Doing 3 science subjects for the leaving cert is possible but alot of work.
    So is doing 8 subjects for the leaving cert.

Combining those two factors leaves you with a work overload.

I would advise dropping a the physics and doing german in class OR dropping DCG.

You can always try your original plan for the start of 5th year and see how it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm going into 6th now, and up until middle of 5th year after my whole life of wanting to do medicine and nothing else, I now am leaning heavily to do Law with a language or some variation on that. Don't be an idiot and cut yourself out of loads of courses just on the basis of taking physics, which tbh you could learn that easier on your own (I do it in school, but most of the work is done yourself and then ask the teacher in school if you're stuck) than doing German only one class a week. A language is a very useful skill, especially considering the economy thats in it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some people know what they want to do a lot earlier than others and tbf a "science ,engineering,maths or medicine degree" isn't exactly cutting his options down hugely either.
    I always knew that I wanted to do something in Business/Economics so my subjects were Bus/Econ/Accounting/History, once your sure of what you want to do it shouldn't matter.

Advertisement