Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My spin today

• 29-07-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Did a nice spin with a friend today. Had checked the weather last night and today was supposed to be sunny with some clouds. No mention of rain (this check was done on an Android phone). Headed out in mist and luckily decided to put on neoprene overshoes for their first test since getting them. Delighted I used them. First time I've come home with warm feet after lots of rain.

Headed up a few nice new hills to me. Started absolutely pelting down around Johnny Foxes around 10:45. Visibility up to that point was about 25m. You'd swear we were up 1000m above sea level twas so bad.

Coming back through Phibsborough a car is turning left into Phibsborough shopping centre and I'm cycling northbound behind him. A pedestrian decides to stroll on nice and slowly so car has to wait and I nearly went into back of car. That really annoys me. I think pedestrians should hurry up if they see a car. Some just walk on like snails even if motorist/cyclist has the right of way. Drives me mad. I'm often tempted to nudge them with the bumper but I suppose that would only make the situation worse. Seriously though, pedestrians need to cop on when crossing a road and do it quickly unless they're physically unable to move quiclly. That's my rant for today. Link to route for anyone interested in getting in some climbing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102529322

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

The pedestrian had right of way, and the car was correct to wait until the pedestrian - who was under no obligation whatsoever to hurry up - had safely crossed the entrance to the shopping centre. Would that there were more drivers who were as considerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Were you wearing a helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Common sense would dictate that the predestrian make the effort to get across a bit quicker as a courtesy. Forget what the laws say. Was wearing a helmet. If a car is waiting to get in somewhere and I have right of way I'll make a dash and acknowledge driver. If a driver lets me cross when they have right of way I dash. If I cross a road I dash. Dash pedestrians. Dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nice little spin. Have never actually climbed Edmondstown road, always opt for Stocking Lane. Might give it a go this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Common sense would dictate that the predestrian make the effort to get across a bit quicker as a courtesy. Forget what the laws say. Was wearing a helmet. If a car is waiting to get in somewhere and I have right of way I'll make a dash and acknowledge driver. If a driver lets me cross when they have right of way I dash. If I cross a road I dash. Dash pedestrians. Dash.

See there's your first mistake...Common Sense???? :)

"Expect the Unexpected"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Was wearing a helmet.

Controversial..

Looking at the elevation from your Garmin you went from 701ft to 1093ft in the space of .09 of a mile. I'm no maths wiz, but thats a gradiant of 82.5%. Impressive work.

seamus wrote: »
    Nice little spin. Have never actually climbed Edmondstown road, always opt for Stocking Lane. Might give it a go this weekend.

usually do stocking lane as well. it was hard enough i found.

we were going to finish off on Ticknock but it was bucketing down. WW200 weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seriously, the pedestrian was on the footpath but in such situations you think that a little nudge (I know you wouldn't do it) to get them out of the way of a car quicker is appropriate ?!? Sure why not allow cars nudge cyclists out of the way, those seconds delayed could be vital so just stick them in a ditch. You misjudged the situation, nearly went into the back of a car, the pedestrian is not to blame.

didn't say i wanted to nudge her or that it would be appropriate. quote "tempted to nudge ".

was referring to peds who deliberatly walk across the road when a) it's not safe to do so b) the ped light is red and they sail across with not a care in the world.

saw a woman on the phone this morning go to step out onto the road without bothering to look at all and a motorbike nearly hit her. he beeped and she was lucky as she was already on the road and he had to go round her. of course not all are like this but a few really need to open their eyes and show a bit of cop on.

do agree with you that i misjudged situation though. must be more careful in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, the people who casually cross in front of you against a red light etc can be annoying, the pedestrian in your post though appeared to be walking across a car park entrance before the car got there to turn off into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

didn't say i wanted to nudge her. was referring to peds who deliberatly walk across the road when a) it's not safe to do so b) the ped light is red

What's the difference between this ^^^ line of thinking, and drivers who skim cyclists who aren't using a 'perfectly good' cycle lane? Even if someone is in the wrong, you have no right to enforce your right of way come what may; especially when you don't have right of way should you not attempt to claim it. That's called bullying, in old money. Responsible road users count to ten, take a deep breath, perhaps sigh at the naivety or ignorance of the other person - if they've done something wrong - and wait for the appropriate moment to make their manoeuvres safely.

(Also, I understood that the car in your earlier story was turning into a shopping centre, not turning into a side road. It's a minor detail, and irrelevant to the thrust of my counter-argument, but worth mentioning all the same, particularly as such a turn would involve driving on the footpath [yeah, it's dished, but that doesn't mean its primary purpose is for motor vehicles].)

Controversial..

Looking at the elevation from your Garmin you went from 701ft to 1093ft in the space of .09 of a mile. I'm no maths wiz, but thats a gradiant of 82.5%. Impressive work.

ya garmin was on the beer last night

Advertisement