Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free at last!

Options
  • 29-07-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

I just realised this today, this year is milestone for me.

My oldest daughter started school in 1989 she had one copy book a pencil and an Ann and Barry book, that was the start of my involvements with schools for my children. This year my youngest daughter did her leaving and is finished school, between the two of them that's 22 years of book lists, school uniforms, 'donations' to the schools, schools runs, homework, study, parent teacher meetings, notes,
    The seance of freedom is huge!

So will you feel sad when its your youngest last day at school or will you be relieved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Lovely post, Mariaalice!
    God, I remember starting school with just a pencil and copy book. Now my kids (who attend the same school) are given a massive list of things they need to bring in for September - it's ridiculous and so are the prices!

So are any of your children at college?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

One is grown up and is a nurse the other is going to college in September, so being financially free is a little way off:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

I have two finished secondary now - my second did her leaving this year. My eldest sat the leaving last year, and got a place on a course, unfortunately he felt it was not for him, but for a brief moment we had one in primary one in secondary and one in third level .... that was a real sense of achievement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Roxy Mitchell

Relived as I can now bring men home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I wonder if anyone can beat this?
    My eldest started school in 1976 & my youngest did her Leaving in 2008, that's 32 years of school books, uniforms & being taxi driver!!
    Mind you the youngest is still a student, starting a Masters in Sept. so not quite off the payroll yet.
    And yes I was a child bride :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can beat this?
    My eldest started school in 1976 & my youngest did her Leaving in 2008, that's 32 years of school books, uniforms & being taxi driver!!

Hmmm ... my eldest sister started primary school in 1984, and my youngest sister is currently in fourth class of primary school. So, if she does Transition Year, she should be finished her Leaving Cert in 2018 ... that'll be seven kids over 30 years for my parents! :eek: Not quite as long as yourself, but still pretty impressive!

Now that I think of it, my parents have had at least one child in primary school and secondary school and college for each of the past seven years. I remember at one stage four (maybe five) of us were in college at the same time, along with a couple in primary/secondary school. Our family were never well off, and none of us ever got the grant in college. Unbelievable how my parents managed really!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My second will be starting school the year after the first one leaves....hopefully we'll have more kids so we could well be visiting the school for nearly 30 years :D

I feel quite scared thinking that when one is winding up her school career and hopefully going to college we'll be starting all over again with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Kathnora

It's strange how you feel at the different stages of your children's education. I used to think that once I got mine through the dreaded L. Cert my worries would be over. But of course you still worry about them in college with the stress of exams etc. Then it's on to will they get a job?, should they do a Masters? There's no end to it. I do think that the carefree days of primary school were the best though.... innocent days where the pressure was off and provided the children have no major issues such as learning difficulties then parents can enjoy those days too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Advertisement