Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope to buy a chip van, help!? what does one need?

Options
  • 29-07-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Alright! hows things people?

I'm 23 year old lad with a plan here, where do I start?

Total beginner to this type of field which if it isn't already obvious it is now!

Thinking about buying a chip van in a few months but what exactly do I need to have before operating? a health and safety cert etc. ?? a van/money/stock (obviously!) what else??

Anyone know how much rent would be at festivals things like that?
    there is serious money to be made at the likes of them.. I know it would be high enough rent depending on location but you'd make it back easily with the prices some of the vans charge for food at it...

I know you need money to make money and like everyone else in this godforsaken Island I don't have that much right now so I'm only wondering what I need to have beforehand.

I know how much the vans are as some are on adverts and Donedeal but everything else that is essential I don't know where to look...??

Any bit of help is appreciated!

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭A_Danger

I don't even know if this is posted in the right section so apologies if it is in the wrong one!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Good investment I know a guy who makes €70,000 a year.

You only need around €5000 to get going incl your van

And you will make 220% on each item..The trick to making big money in the fast food is being able to grow your own veg and spuds etc

Have a contract with a farmer at the start then get you own plot going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

A_Danger wrote: »
    Alright! hows things people?

I'm 23 year old lad with a plan here, where do I start?

Total beginner to this type of field which if it isn't already obvious it is now!

Thinking about buying a chip van in a few months but what exactly do I need to have before operating? a health and safety cert etc. ?? a van/money/stock (obviously!) what else??

Anyone know how much rent would be at festivals things like that?
    there is serious money to be made at the likes of them.. I know it would be high enough rent depending on location but you'd make it back easily with the prices some of the vans charge for food at it...

I know you need money to make money and like everyone else in this godforsaken Island I don't have that much right now so I'm only wondering what I need to have beforehand.

I know how much the vans are as some are on adverts and Donedeal but everything else that is essential I don't know where to look...??

Any bit of help is appreciated!

cheers!

Not being smart but you've no chance in getting into any prominent festivals. The food game is wrapped up here with cliques and well established people so your well behind in the queue to trade at oxegen etc

You might get a pitch in a small festival and earn yourself a weeks wage.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

First, go to your local xtravision and rent out The Van!

Good luck with your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭A_Danger

@ Investment, cheers for the help! I will look into that, yes serious profit to be made. my main reason.

@ big mouth, I do realise that, theres the likes of gallagher fest in Donegal and other events that are growing each year I could crack into and work from there, and yeah I maybe WELL behind in the queue for the likes of oxegen but you have to start somewhere, I also know well the rent is expensive at them things so it wouldn't be until I was established enough and have the funds to get in there I was recently at Sonisphere (heavy metal festival) in the UK and got chatting to a guy over there who was serving breakfast rolls etc from his van, his rent was 6 grand for the weekend, and charging 7 pounds a breakfast roll, he was still never without a queue, he had it made back within the first day, I'm trying to do something right in this cursed land, I don't see why I should have to move away like most people my age, just trying to do something constructive, and looking for pointers/help

cheers!

@ CarrickMcJoe haha, yeah.. gotta love Colm Meaney...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

have you thought about going to sport events instead?

i go to a fair few leinster games in the rds and there is always a few mobile fast food sellers at the entrance i use to the stadium. most of the food isnt great. if you do a good burger thats cheaper than the ones in the stadium, which are in no way cheap, you may get repeat customers. leinster will play 10 games in the magners/pro 12 league with attendances of between 12,000 to 18,000 and will play 2 heineken cup games which will both be 18,000. these are just the games in the rds.

regarding trading licences and health and safety licences contact your local council. they should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Tbh you're asking in the wrong place.
    You need to answer all the above questions properly.

Simply, talk to every chip-van driver possible. Find out the tricks & tips of the trade. Who's making good money? Why & how?

You're biggest problem will be your lack of a traders licence.
    You will park the van in a sunny park mobbed with people wanting chips & within 30mins you'll be moved on by the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Slightly late reply, and perhaps not much use to you as I dont know the intricate details but an acquaintance got one a few months ago and was doing quite well. He found the start-up issues minimal (I think it was just a HACCP course and a few other bits.

Unfortunately he had a split with his business partner and they had to close shop.

FYI when I was on the committee of a rural festival we charged chip-vans about €250 to be allowed into the grounds for the day. Other possible considerations are to try get into the car parks outside nightclubs. The Wright Venue does this in Dublin and it works really well for them.

This previous post may also be of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Out of curiosity, can you drive a chip van on a full category B drivers licence or do you need to get a special one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

niceview wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, can you drive a chip van on a full category B drivers licence or do you need to get a special one?

If its over 3,500 kg you will need a Category C / C1 (up to 7,500kg) or if it has seating for more than 8 passengers then you will need a D1.

If you have a chip Van it may be under the 3,500kg, but a lot would be in C1 category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Watch out for them feckin ice cream men too!!!

Feckin original Idea but I'll give ya that, ya wud make a mint at even the smaller festivals, even outside nightclubs at closin ya wud clean up!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

I am doing this over a year now with a small unit. I would not normally reply on boards but I thought my input in this case might help ya. If you have any questions get in touch.

I have the unit up for sale also if your interested. Check my adverts. Its going for small money. Sale is genuine. There is money in this. My advise start small, see if you think its working, if not sell up and try something else.

investment wrote: »
    Good investment I know a guy who makes €70,000 a year.

You only need around €5000 to get going incl your van

And you will make 220% on each item..The trick to making big money in the fast food is being able to grow your own veg and spuds etc

Have a contract with a farmer at the start then get you own plot going.
    You will need more the 5K. The best is to look at the amount you will need excluding the price of a unit.
    You will need stocks say €500, utensils/packaging say €200, insurance say €350 (public), gas say €100. You will also need float say €200. Thats a grand and a half before you buy the unit. You will also have to include costs such as DOE/TAX on the van,diesel, branding/rebranding of the unit.

You do not need any contacts with farmers. You can use commercials butchers and the likes of Musgraves/Palas Foods
    Big Mouth wrote: »
    Not being smart but you've no chance in getting into any prominent festivals. The food game is wrapped up here with cliques and well established people so your well behind in the queue to trade at oxegen etc

You might get a pitch in a small festival and earn yourself a weeks wage.

Good luck.

To be honest you are half right and wrong. The same PR company deals with most of the festivals. If you keep on top of it and the like your unit/product then you will get work out of them. There is hundreds of festivals/fairs etc up and down the country over the summer months especially. You need to get on them very early as the space in these is booked a good six months in advance.

Try and start with local events, we have also done house parties, street vending. There is lots of work just need to be on top of it all of the time.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    have you thought about going to sport events instead?

i go to a fair few leinster games in the rds and there is always a few mobile fast food sellers at the entrance i use to the stadium. most of the food isnt great. if you do a good burger thats cheaper than the ones in the stadium, which are in no way cheap, you may get repeat customers. leinster will play 10 games in the magners/pro 12 league with attendances of between 12,000 to 18,000 and will play 2 heineken cup games which will both be 18,000. these are just the games in the rds.

regarding trading licences and health and safety licences contact your local council. they should be able to point you in the right direction.

yea you will need for the unit to be checked over by the HSE. IF you buy a unit which has one already there will not be any problem renewing it. Contact the local council and ask for the EHO. Has to be what every council where the unit is going to be registered to.

For street trading licences, there is only a day pass really for Dublin for specific events. Its done on a lottery system. You basically, fill in a form, list the events you want to do and then wait for the call.

The fee for us is 150 as far as I can remember. People have to charge big money to recover costs alone. Lot of prep work going in and there are a lot of costs to be recovered. Prices have come down though I think
    Tbh you're asking in the wrong place.
    You need to answer all the above questions properly.

Simply, talk to every chip-van driver possible. Find out the tricks & tips of the trade. Who's making good money? Why & how?

You're biggest problem will be your lack of a traders licence.
    You will park the van in a sunny park mobbed with people wanting chips & within 30mins you'll be moved on by the cops.

Markets are great if you can find the right product. You are not allowed to pull up anywhere with the exception of Kildare as far as I know.

Do not waste your time trying to talk to chip van drivers, most will not be forthcomming. Best is to get in touch with the councils, read on line and think and plan everything before you spend a penny. Money wise if you can get a good few events a month you'll be laughing. For example with Burgers, it is possible to make one for less then €1 and sell for anything up to €5. There is money in everything, its just about getting the right event for your product.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

you do not have to have a HACCAP course either. The EHO will give you the material you need to know

Advertisement